HybridZ

Oven burner adjustment ?

JMortensen

I have a Hotpoint stove that is running natural gas and it smells like gas in the house when I use it. Not real bad, but it's noticeable and my wife is particularly sensitive to it. I've called the gas company and was told there were no leaks, had my in-laws here for a while and my father-in-law asked if the flame in the oven was yellow. I told him it was, and he said we needed to adjust the air shutter underneath to get the flame blue, which would result in more complete combustion and no more smell. He left before we could get to it, but I just found and adjusted the shutter according to the manual, and moved it all the way in both directions and it seemed to make no difference whatsoever to the flame color. I checked the regulator and according to the manual, it does appear to be set for natural gas and not propane, and the range flames are blue, it's just the oven that is yellow.

Can anyone shed any more light on this for me? Something else I can adjust? Repairman time?

You most likely need to clean the jets and air passage ways. Use compressed air to blow out the holes the gas comes out of, and a shop-vac to catch the dust. You'll have to re-adjust the air shutter after you do this.

I had to do the same thing to my furnace, and the flame changed completely and now burns evenly. Keep in mind when you put the cover back on (I'll presume you have the cover off the see the flame to adjust it) it will change the airflow, so you may need to open the shutter slightly more than the ideal setting with the cover off.

-Eric

Hmm, that is rather new. My furnace is from the early 30s, and hadn't been cleaned as far back as I can remember, over 15 years. Your burner could be slightly plugged if there was any debris in the line, such as a piece of thread sealing tape that broke loose, or ash/food residue got on it. It's worth a shot, can't hurt anything.

Most of the time, your local gas company will adjust or check your appliances annually for peak efficiency. I have had them come check the furnace for proper combustion in the past. This should be a free service call as well, after that one call per season, you will get charged.

Sounds like you used up your annual call for a 'leak check'...bummer.

Most of the time, your local gas company will adjust or check your appliances annually for peak efficiency. I have had them come check the furnace for proper combustion in the past. This should be a free service call as well, after that one call per season, you will get charged.

Sounds like you used up your annual call for a 'leak check'...bummer.

I had it checked right after we moved in a couple years ago, so if it's the same here in WA I should be good for another free service call. I'll give that a shot. I emailed GE and they suggested calling a repairman.