HybridZ

Project - 4.6 4V S30

After selling the boosted CRX that I built, I wanted something that was RWD, but of course I wanted to do something different since I like being unique. I also missed the whole oldschool feel that my '71 Torino had, so I picked this up:

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

Its a '71 240z. It had a few little issues, but I got it for cheap so I didn't mind.

The car that was supposed to be my DD has some issues so I ended up daily driving this for a while, and got tired of the colors real quick. Needless to say, it got rattlecanned flat black one night (these pics were after one or two coats, not the finished product):

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

After I got a running daily driver, I got the Z in the garage and up on jackstands. First on the list was to prep the engine bay for drivetrain removal. Here's the result of that:

DSC_3186.jpg

DSC_3192.jpg

Then, while waiting on an engine hoist, I decided to remove the rear bumper. This will not be going back on:

DSC_3260.jpg

DSC_3266.jpg

DSC_3280.jpg

Next came the engine removal:

DSC_3327.jpg

DSC_3330.jpg

DSC_3332.jpg

DSC_3334.jpg

DSC_3352.jpg

Lots of space for a V8 now that its out:

DSC_3341.jpg

DSC_3357.jpg

DSC_3358.jpg

DSC_3359.jpg

DSC_3363.jpg

After the engine came out, I decided to check out the underside of the car a bit.

Do these springs look stock to you?

DSC_3353.jpg

Rust hole under the battery tray (knew it was there):

DSC_3356.jpg

Floor board looks rusted through (was expecting it):

DSC_3278.jpg

Hole in the frame rail (was not expecting that):

DSC_3276.jpg

I planned on beefing up the subframe anyways, so oh well.

Next the interior came out.

Before:

DSC_3369.jpg

DSC_3372.jpg

DSC_3374.jpg

After:

DSC_3397.jpg

DSC_3409.jpg

DSC_3410.jpg

DSC_3413.jpg

Floor boards are completely shot:

DSC_3401.jpg

DSC_3403.jpg

DSC_3404.jpg

DSC_3406.jpg

Random rust by the quarter window:

DSC_3408.jpg

The whole back of the interior is surprisingly clean though:

DSC_3407.jpg

Too bad that part is getting cut up for a rear battery and a fuel cell.

Speaking of a fuel cell, look what I found on craigslist:

DSC_3429.jpg

DSC_3430.jpg

I came home from college this weekend and picked up a teskid aluminum block, Cobra forged crank, and some '99 Mustang GT front brakes:

DSC_3880.jpg

I also got some SVT Manley rods with ARP bolts from a Terminator:

DSC_3886.jpg

DSC_3892.jpg

DSC_3901.jpg

I also have a T-56 sitting on a pallet in my garage, and I'm picking up a 4.6 4V from a Lincoln tomorrow. I have an 8 point roll bar kit in the mail but I doubt it'll be here before I head back to college on Sunday night.

The plan is to run the Lincoln top end for now, but a Terminator Eaton setup down the road when I have some more money. As for the rear, I'll be running a Q45 diff with a cantilever suspension setup using some Strange coilovers. Front and rear hubs and brakes will be swapped out for Mustang 5 lug stuff. I plan on widening the rear quarters to accommodate bigger tires and to give it a more aggressive look.

I'll have more of an update tomorrow when I actually get a chance to work on stuff.

sweet ride man, I dig the rattle can paint job. Here is a good link for floor pans, just in case you didnt find it already http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html. (they are toward the bottom). You could just fab something but its nice to have options. Happy cutting!

DO NOT buy from showcars bodyparts! Search first to see why. IIRC, the thread was started by mark (hbz username).

BTW, how much did you pick up those brakes for? I'm looking to do the same brake conversion.

I got the brakes for $50. I still need to get some hubs and figure out exactly how I'm mounting them. Not sure if I'm going to use the stock spindles or not. As for the rear, I'm really not sure what I'm doing yet. Once it gets warmer around here and I can start perusing the junkyards again, I'll be able to figure it out.

The car that was supposed to be my DD has some issues so I ended up daily driving this for a while, and got tired of the colors real quick. Needless to say, it got rattlecanned flat black one night (these pics were after one or two coats, not the finished product)
Was BEER involved? :)

Inferno,

What is this shifter from?

DSC_4102.jpg

I need one just like to put my shifter where it needs to be! If you are not using it maybe I can buy it off of you? Otherwise, if you know what it came out of I'll buy a new one.

Also, while you are back at school it would be a good time to think about where you are going to get a rear sump pan as the front sump isn't going to work.

Time to delete some PM's :)

Joe

Sure seems like putting 10 pounds into a 5 pound bag.

The plan is either an m112 setup or a large turbo down the road, so it'll need it then. It should also help with stiffening up the chassis.

Inferno,

What is this shifter from?

I need one just like to put my shifter where it needs to be! If you are not using it maybe I can buy it off of you? Otherwise, if you know what it came out of I'll buy a new one.

Also, while you are back at school it would be a good time to think about where you are going to get a rear sump pan as the front sump isn't going to work.

Time to delete some PM's :)

Joe

The shifter is from an 03-04 Cobra with the T-56. If you're interested, PM me with an offer on it (just cleared out my inbox).

As far as the pan goes, I was thinking I would just fab something up once I get the engine situated in the engine bay.

Useless update but the Z saw sunlight today for the first time in a while:

DSC_4485.jpg

I had to make room to fix up old DD before I sell it and to fix up the new DD after I pick it up tomorrow. After those are done I should be able to get some work done on this project.