HybridZ

Older Fidanza Flywheel Support Issues

Sam280Z

You can get most of the story from reading the email chain below. Long story short, If you have an older Fidanza flywheel, the friction surface may not be as replacable as you thought. Fidanza only left me with the option of a new flywheel and no support from them. I got this response even though I told them that I would be posting my experience here. The good news is that for $80 plus shipping, Spec is going to make a friction surface for me, an option not even offered by Fidanza. I can say that, so far, Spec's customer service is worlds apart from Fidanza's. All I have to do is send them the old friction surface. They have indicated that it should only take a couple of days once they receive it.

(My original email was sent 2/24/2010, the same day I made the phone call. I recieved the response today, 2/26/2010. I'm glad this isn't for my daily driver.)

__________________________________________________________________________________

(Original email from me to Fidanza)

To whom it may concern,

In 2005 I purchased a custom Nissan L-series motor from a friend. One of the selling points of this motor was that it included a Fidanza aluminum flywheel with the advantage of being able to replace the friction surface. I purchased a replacement Fidanza friction surface kit from Summit Racing (part# 229501). This kit came with two friction surfaces - one with 20 holes and one with 18 holes. I recently attempted to replace the friction surface and found that neither of these discs lined up with the mounting holes in the flywheel, which has 20 holes. The number stamped into the back of the flywheel is NIS1C-1153.

This morning, I called Fidanza technical support to determine the cause of this issue and to source the correct replacement friction disc. At that time I spoke with a customer representative named Aaron and relayed the problem and part numbers as described above. Aaron was very professional, and thorough as he informed me that the flywheel in question is pretty old and that friction surfaces are no longer produced for it. In light of the original purchaser's and my expectation that this flywheel would be serviceable for wear to the friction surface, I asked if there was anything that Fidanza would be willing to do to assist me. I was hoping for a reasonable discount or wholesale price for a new flywheel. I was told that since I was not the original purchaser of the flywheel, he would not be able to offer anything to me. I do not understand this requirement since I am not asking for warranty work, just assistance replacing a part that, neither through its fault nor mine, is no longer serviceable. When I asked who could assist, Aaron indicated that he would check with Fidanza's owner and that someone would get back to me on my cellphone. As of late this evening, I have not heard back from Fidanza.

I need to obtain a new flywheel soon. I have Fidanza flywheels in both of my 280Zs. I hope to be able to continue to use Fidanza flywheels and help maintain the highly regarded reputation of Fidanza's products as satisfied customer.

Thank you for your attention,

Sam

(Response from Fidanza to me)

Sam,

I discussed this matter with the owner today and he is at like mind with me. Since the flywheel was purchased used and not originally purchased from us by you, there is nothing we can do for you. I am sorry that this isn't the answer you wanted to hear but that is the decision the owner has made. I hope this does not deter you from our products as I'm sure you are aware we make the highest quality flywheels in the market. I wish there were more we could do as I dislike leaving any customer unsatisfied...

Thank You,

Aaron XXXXXXXX (redacted)

Technical Department

Fidanza Engineering Corporation

4199 Main St. Unit A

Perry, OH 44081 USA

tech@fidanza.com

P: 440-259-5656 x116

Edited by Sam280Z

I'm the original purchaser of the flywheel, which I then sold with my L6 stroker motorset to Sam. Looks like I would be getting the shaft from Fidanza too, even if I still owned it.

I'm sorry you are having problems from Fidanza, Sam. That will most definitely hurt their sales after the millions of car enthusiasts that visit this forum read how they treat their people who use their products...

I know I won't be using their products after this!!

Sounds to me like if you were the one who originally purchased it they would work something out. Maybe i just dont get it but looks to me (like most companies, tokico, koni, etc)that they would do something if you purchased it but once it changes hands they wont do anything. Go buy a used 2009 kia/hyundai etc from an individual and the same thing will happen (non transferrable warranty). Not trying to be an ass just seems like they should do it because it would be more profitable but they might just not make it any more and dont want to go through the headache unless you actually spent the cash on it to begin with.

Joel,

Thanks for the offer. It appears that Spec is going to be able to help me out. I'd rather not try to deal with Fidanza anymore. Their attitude is that they make the best so tough toenails. That's why I called Spec in the first place. I was going to buy one of their flywheels provided it was not manufactured by Fidanza.

Sticky280zx,

I'm not looking for warranty support. The flywheel is perfect with the exception of a worn out friction surface, a wearable part. A feature that Fidanza advertises is the ability to replace the friction surface. I guess they just need to change the design of the bolt spacing every couple of years. With how often a street clutch gets changed, they can sell a lot more $340 flywheels instead of $60 friction surfaces. I'm already out for one friction surface (Well, I guess I will use it when the clutch on my other car wears out. Glad I have it now, just in case they decide to change the design again.) I would have gladly paid full retail for a Fidanza friction surface that fits. That's what I called them for in the first place. Fidanza didn't offer me that option. I would have been happy with purchasing a new flywheel at wholesale. They would have still made as much profit as if I had bought it from a distributor and I would be here talking about their great customer service. That's not what happened.

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

That's really disheartening. I bought fidanza flywheels for both of my cars and I used to recommend them...not any more. There is no excuse for their behaviour. I guess some companies don't see the big picture very well.

Spec it is.

when I had a problem with my ACT clutch.. I made a posting on here and on youtube showing the issue..

I promptly got a call from ACT offering me a free replacement if I promised to remove the video and update my posts showing that ACT stands behind their product. They kept their word and stood behind their product. I am very impressed with their customer service and will recommend a ACT clutch..

I would try Fidanza again and explain the situation and ask for a another solution... if the manager is smart and realizes he could be loosing a lot of business.. he will work with you. I promise.