HybridZ

79 & 81 Crankshaft Pulley differences

280zx 2by2

Ok, I cracked my crankshaft pulley trying to get it off and I went to the junkyard and got one off of a 79 zx.

When I got it home I realized the 79 has 13 counter balance holes, the 81 has 6. And they are at different locations on the pulley.

Is this going to shake my crankshaft to death or will it work?

DSCN1818.jpg

Well I just looked at MSA's website and apparently the 79 has a different part number then the 80-81... hmmm

Edited by 280zx 2by2

those are balance drillings. when they balance the unit that is how they make it right. Opposite of wheel weights on a tire balance. Probably any pulley you look at will be different. As to difference between years I'd go with the if they look the same and fit go with it. Check the notch for TDC. But hey a pulley is a pulley.

those are balance drillings. when they balance the unit that is how they make it right. Opposite of wheel weights on a tire balance. Probably any pulley you look at will be different. As to difference between years I'd go with the if they look the same and fit go with it. Check the notch for TDC. But hey a pulley is a pulley.

Thank you sir, this is great news. :D

I just put an 81 on my 79 =D there is a difference just fyi. The grooves are not exactly lines up however they are not far off, mine has a squeak to it that was not there before so I have to diag the vehicle to see what is squeaking. but there is no vibration coming from the pulley itself.

I had to use a different washer on mine because the 81 had a slightly smaller center but you should be fine. Try putting it on please and let me know what you get and we can compare a little just for the next people who try this as well =D

I have used a crank balancer from an 83zx on my daily driven 79zx and have had no problems with it, its been about a year now!! Also, the washer used is different along with the timing indicator the bolts to the block. Might want to see if the indicator from the 79 can be used on you car. I had swap the indicator on my 79zx to accommodate the crank balancer from the 83zx to fit.

I have used a crank balancer from an 83zx on my daily driven 79zx and have had no problems with it, its been about a year now!! Also, the washer used is different along with the timing indicator the bolts to the block. Might want to see if the indicator from the 79 can be used on you car. I had swap the indicator on my 79zx to accommodate the crank balancer from the 83zx to fit.

Oh I was wondering if the TDC mark was a little different, Ill have to drop by and pick up the timing indicator some time.

thank you all very much. :D

• 2 months later...