HybridZ

Who makes 1 3/4" primary 3" collector SBC 240Z headers?

Still looking for 1 3/4" primary and 3" collector block hugger header manufacturer. Have talked with Sanderson but they INSIST on ONLY ONE header which has 1 5/8" primary tubes and 3" collector. I have a HIGH performance SBC 383 stroker and NEED 1 3/4" primary tubes in order to breath properly. If ANYONE has a lead on some GOOD headers that can be used with STOCK 1971 240Z steering shaft please chime in. Thanks.

Still looking for 1 3/4" primary and 3" collector block hugger header manufacturer. Have talked with Sanderson but they INSIST on ONLY ONE header which has 1 5/8" primary tubes and 3" collector. I have a HIGH performance SBC 383 stroker and NEED 1 3/4" primary tubes in order to breath properly. If ANYONE has a lead on some GOOD headers that can be used with STOCK 1971 240Z steering shaft please chime in. Thanks.

If you are talking about 1.75 OD, then Sanderson's block huggers for JTR fits the bill. At least that's what they shipped me about 3-4 years ago.

Edited by zgeezer

Not trying to be a smart @$$, but I don't think a 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 block hugger header 2.5 or 3", is going to make a difference in performance. If max performance is paramount, why not go full length and make a more profound difference

Edited by John Scott

Not trying to be a smart @$$, but I don't think a 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 block hugger header 2.5 or 3", is going to make a difference in performance. If max performance is paramount, why not go full length and make a more profound difference

To get MAXIMUM performance out of a 383 that cost 10k+, 1 3/4" headers are needed. Sanderson would only offer 1 5/8" headers with 3" collector for 240Z. They also have 1 3/4" but WOULD NOT recommend them for the 240Z. Hard to get them to realistically measure against what they recommend for 240Z.

If you're spending 10 grand on an engine, I think you'd be willing to modify the stock steering shaft, weld up a set of custom headers, or look into the long tubes that hooker made.

Modifying the steering shaft for clearance has been covered in depth and there are now specific parts made for it.

If you're spending 10 grand on an engine, I think you'd be willing to modify the stock steering shaft, weld up a set of custom headers, or look into the long tubes that hooker made.

Modifying the steering shaft for clearance has been covered in depth and there are now specific parts made for it.

I don't want to modify the steering shaft! Want to leave it stock. Just want Sanderson to get some of their headers and MEASURE and MAKE CERTAIN that dimensions published on their Internet Site are CORRECT! Not that much to ask. Otherwise I will fab the headers myself and hopefully with lesser restrictive bends or better FLOW. Don't want to modify that which I do not have to.

I don't want to modify the steering shaft! Want to leave it stock. Just want Sanderson to get some of their headers and MEASURE and MAKE CERTAIN that dimensions published on their Internet Site are CORRECT! Not that much to ask. Otherwise I will fab the headers myself and hopefully with lesser restrictive bends or better FLOW. Don't want to modify that which I do not have to.

If 1.75 inch shorty headers with a 3 inch collector is your game, just go over to JTR and buy them here. Made under contract by Sanderson. They probably have some agreement with JTR that limits what they can sell under their own name. It may very well be that the 1.75 " shorty headers that Sanderson makes are sold only through JTR.

g

Edited by zgeezer

If 1.75 inch shorty headers with a 3 inch collector is your game, just go over to JTR and buy them here. Made under contract by Sanderson. They probably have some agreement with JTR that limits what they can sell under their own name. It may very well be that the 1.75 " shorty headers that Sanderson makes are sold only through JTR.

g

Those are the 1.75" headers for the LSx based engines, not the first gen small block. It appears the original poster is looking for them for the first gen SBC.

I was looking around and found these. I do not know anything about them. If someone does please speak up.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PRC01/10-1832

Thanks

As far as I know those only work with the engine in the MSA position and possibly the Scarab position. They will not work with the JTR kit in the set back position.

On that note, rsicard, what position is your engine in?

Those are the 1.75" headers for the LSx based engines, not the first gen small block. It appears the original poster is looking for them for the first gen SBC.

Opppps, time to get the 2.5 diopters on. A Gen I CSB it is.

G

As far as I know those only work with the engine in the MSA position and possibly the Scarab position. They will not work with the JTR kit in the set back position.

Ok, what is ment by position?

Those are s&s headers. They work with jtr, but hang pretty low.

http://www.headermania.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=H&Product_Code=5205&Category_Code=STREETROD

Those are s&s headers. They work with jtr, but hang pretty low.

http://www.headerman..._Code=STREETROD

Gentlemen:

Thanks to all of you for your responses. The full length headers are REALLY expensive and just do not know if they will fit the 1971 Datsun 240Z with JTR engine mounts. Will have to call the supplier to find out the fitment of these headers and man are they expensive! I am planning to have the 240Z low to the ground wherein very little air gets underneath the car for good downforce.

I think the MSA position is the Scarab position. Have not yet installed the SBC V8 but have the JTR kit and mounts. The V8 is on the engine run-in stand with a modified Q-jet carb and it runs very well. Put a LOT of money into this engine for 500+ HP and Torque! This is why I want 1 3/4" primary and 3" collector headers. Probably just getting the run-around from Sanderson. Their 1 7/8" block huggers, per their website, are 4" from flange to outer portion of primaries. Just wondering if I can use the 1 7/8" headers with 3" collectors. If one of you fellows with the SBC V8 and JTR kit mounts could measure from cylinder head exhaust port to STOCK steering shaft dimension, then it would be known how much space is available for block hugger headers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...