HybridZ

Crate engine

Delasangre4231

I found a company who makes nice "crate" engines for the 300zx z31. Its basically the longblock with the heads and timing setup all put together ready for the rest of the engine to be installed. Anyways, is this setup the same for turbo or non-turbo or would there be different specs/parts installed? I could just bolt on my turbo manifolds and the turbo and my old oil pan and drop it in right?

This doesn't help at all. I know how a turbo works. I'm asking if a crate engine that is the assembled block, heads, and timing components, will accept either NA or turbo components. So If I buy one engine can I crate a NA or Turbo out of it? Or does a rebuilt engine need to be assembled different at the core for turbo or NA?

Compression ratio is of the utmost importance. The correct/ideal ratio is achieved by the selection of the pistons, and cylinder heads, head gaskets, etc......(combustion chamber cc's).

So no...one size does not fit all.

That's what I was looking for, thanks.

NAs are rated at 9:1 compression.

Turbo engine are rated at 7.8:1 or 8.3:1 compression depending on year.

All of them are acceptable for boost, many people turbo the factory NA long blocks with great success. 9:1 compression isnt considered high anymore as long as you have a good tune...

As these guys have said, the compression ratio is the only internal difference. Only other thing to keep in mind is that you may have to change the placement of the exhaust studs as htey are differnt for turbo/non-turbo. That is, of course, if it even come with studs. Also od minor importance is if it is a "W" or "A/B" series block as these will have some crank pulley differences.

you'll be fine running a turbo on an NA motor. You will get more power gain per pound of boost through the turbo since the compression of the motor is higher, but you will be able to run less boost overall, again since the compression is higher.