HybridZ

transmission

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've read how its not uncommon for some of you guys bust your transmissions durring higher performance applications. Would it be worth it to shell out the bucks for the T56 to begin with? I mean if thats the case then i really have no problem waiting and saving the bucks for it when the time comes especialy since im really early in on the project.

RadTad,

My plan is to make over 600HP on the flywheel, and I was also looking at the T56, but I felt that an auto box would feed the power much smoother than a manual (unless I slip the clutch a bit). I decided to get a built 700R4 (4L60), which can handle up to 600 HP no problem. Also, it is much less than even a used T56 at $1400.00. That's complete with my choice of stall converter (I will get a 2400rpm stall), and there's no need to have a bellhousing protection blanket to stop pieces of blown up clutch from finding it's place in my legs. icon_eek.gif

If you want to look at the site that I found the autobox, here it is....If any of you guys have any info on this company, let me know, 'cause it's a hell of a long way to have to ship the unit back if there's any problems. They seem reputable, but who knows for sure? icon_confused.gif

Transmission Center web site

Tim

What type of tranny's are you referring to? My 240Z w/350 just ate my 700r4 last night. Bummer too, youd think a vette tranny with a new b/m converter would hold up but evidently not. If it is not salvagable then I will definetly go back to super t/10 or 350 tranny. To much has been said about 700r4's being weak, T5's etc.. Maybe t56?

Funny thing, old school muncies,borge warners etc.. you can throw just about anything at them. T56 seems the way to go. Especially if you want high speed cruising.

Good Luck.. Mike icon_biggrin.gif

Umm, Tim? Why do you think you won't need a trans blanket with that transmission? Automatic transmissions grenade just like stick shift ones do. Flexplates can fly though the car as can bits of torque converter. They have SFI bells for powerglides - the rest usually have to wear diapers icon_biggrin.gif

Pete,

That tranny is definitely NICE, but very heavy and expensive, because the stand alone wiring harness that you have to run with it has to be custom programmed to the specs of the vehicle and the wiring and computer alone is over $1500.00 from Jet performance products icon_eek.gif

Hey 383 240Z,

I noticed that you commented on their prices, but the 700R4 high performance unit is very reasonable, considering what they promise it can do...Does the company stand behind their product? and do they deliver what they promise? Do you have any experience or have you heard anything about them?

Hey Mike,

Was your tranny new or from a bone yard? Maybe it was abused before you got it!! These trannys are used by many hot rod folks with good results?

Thanks,

Tim

[i closed this topic here. It's copied to the "drivetrain" forum and open for replies there. It makes it easier for people to search if we keep stuff in the most logical forum selections. But I realize this was Chevy specific too. Pete]

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

• 4 years later...
My 4L60 does'nt want to shift into OD. Any ideas? All other shifting is good and on schedule.

You most likely have either an overdrive lockout solenoid OR your cable or linkage for your shifter doesn't go far enough to register "OD" in the tranny, try adjustment and look for a connector on the side of the tranny that you aren't using. But you should have started a new thread this conversation is clearly out of place here.

[edit] I mean you should have SEARCHED!!!!!

Can't comment on the T56 in a Z (yet), but my TA dyno'd @ 498 HP / 579 TQ and so far so good w/ the "bulletproof" T56/SPEC stage 3 clutch I bought on ebay. Not too many hard launches, which is where I've read about input shaft issues. Since you have less weight in the Datsun, this will make things easier on the transmission. I ran a T5 from an 80's Camaro behind a gen I 383 in an RX7 with no problems.

I love the 6 speed & would put one in all my vehicles (except the truck ;) ) if I could- to include a Vette transaxle in my old Chevy.

Long time ago..HA! I have run a 700r4 even after breaking my first one within a month of the install. My current 700r4 has been in the car since that one broke.

Been down the track countless times, to many to list. Runs low 11's, now maybe high 10's as it went 7.0 flat in the 1/8th. I almost went back to the manual.

Miss shifting but I mainly drag race or cruise and manuals don't like drag racing nor do the other components.

Mike

Thanks Guys. I did the search and found no conclusive info. I've built at least a bizzilion transmissions. They can't go out of my shop until they work perfectly. Got a reputation to protect, you know. I checked all of the usual things. This one just has me stumped. Never fear, I WILL make it work.

Skip Pringle

Thanks Guys. I did the search and found no conclusive info. I've built at least a bizzilion transmissions. They can't go out of my shop until they work perfectly. Got a reputation to protect' date=' you know. I checked all of the usual things. This one just has me stumped. Never fear, I WILL make it work.

Skip Pringle[/quote']

pull it, rebuild it. sorry.

Assuming that you did an air check on the clutch pack during assembly, the only thing I can think of for a regular tranny is a sticky shift valve (which probably falls in the 'usual problems' category along with separator plate leaks).

IIRC, the 4l60E is the electronically operated version of the 700R4; is it possible that an OD shift may not be being requested. Or... Is there an OD shift solenoid to fail?

Happy hunting.