HybridZ

Noob Arp head stud install question

cd1105

So i was trying to install my arp head studs last week and I noticed that that the studs come in two different sizes I was wondering which ones go where. I've been trying to figure it out for a while since both of them can go into the same holes, just some are a little longer than the others. I know some one here has the quick answer or a picture. Thanks.

So i was trying to install my arp head studs last week and I noticed that that the studs come in two different sizes I was wondering which ones go where. I've been trying to figure it out for a while since both of them can go into the same holes, just some are a little longer than the others. I know some one here has the quick answer or a picture. Thanks.

I haven't installed mine yet, but I would say the longer one would be the ones that goes through the head, and the cam towers, and the shorther ones, would only go through the head

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

So I figured out where the two sizes go and ran into a new problem now. The five longer studs go into the block no problem,but I'm having trouble getting the smaller ones to go all the way in the block. I chased the threads twice and used brake cleaner to clean out the block threads. They only go until about two threads are sticking out the block and won't turn anymore without excessive force. Also one of the threads I couldn't chase completely because it was getting stuck and i didn't know if I kept turning it if I would strip the block thread. Is there a certain way I should clean the threads????any body have this problem before.Maybe lube the end going into the block???

Edited by cd1105

That's how they are on mine, too. It's fine, don't force them.

This pic is pretty dark in the stud area but you can see on those first two on the passenger side of the block where the threads are sticking up above the deck.

P1030836.jpg

Thanks for the pic. But you still want want all the smaller studs to be at the same height sitcking out the block even if they do show about 2 threads above the deck correct? I'm assuming the studs sticking out a little bit above the deck doesn't affect proper torquing?

Thanks for the pic. But you still want want all the smaller studs to be at the same height sitcking out the block even if they do show about 2 threads above the deck correct? I'm assuming the studs sticking out a little bit above the deck doesn't affect proper torquing?

When you clean the threads, use a "bottoming" tap - this type of tap is flat on the end, and will clean the threads all the way to the bottom of the hole.