HybridZ

Clutch Engagement

Hey everyone

What's happening is that when I press the clutch, is won't let me shift into gear with the car on. It's similar to this guy in zcar, but I didn't change anything.

It was really weak pedal action to begin with, then at a light it just gave out and I couldn't get it into gear. Bled the system, and the pedal got a litter stiffer,

but still wouldn't work ( shift into gear).When the car is off, it shifts no problem, so the tranny is hopefully ok. also I am seeing a decent amount of play from the slave cylinder, as in the piston/fork is moving, just not taking the clutch with it. The master and slave were replaced about 1 year ago by me and I haven't had any problems up till now.

My car is 74 260z with a 5 speed from a zx. Been using the clutch stuff on it for about 2 years now. could jsut be worn, or maybe the diaphram thingy is bent.

zcar thread : http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/2134480

Throwout bearing. Yours must be locked up. You could engage but the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel. If the bearing is locked it would cause havoc. Just an idea, thinking about that it doesn't really make since the bearing isn't connected to your input shaft. Probably just time for a new clutch, 2 years with a z, how do you drive? Aggressive? If you drive like I drive it's probably time anyway.

I drive pretty spiritedly. It was a daily for that time as well. It is an OEM clutch from what the PO told me, autozone special.

Either way I just dropped in a builtish motor, and wanted to upgrade the clutch and flywheel anyway to a turbo/2+2 one. Exedy stage 2 possibly.

i'd replace the slave if its as sloppy as you say, i had a similar problem and the fork broke and stuck real wierd so i could get some pressure back into the clutch pedal but no actual clutching lol. plus its like a 25 dollar part, cheap fix if thats what ends up being wrong

Before you buy or replace anything, crawl under the car w/ an extendable magnet tool. Pop the fork boot loose & slide the magnet into the bottom of the bellhousing. If you feel something "tink" to the magnet then carefully draw it out. The "M" clip that holds the fork to the throw out bearing collar may have popped off. Essentially, what happens is when you come to a stop, you press the clutch, & the bearing stays between fork & the pressure plate on the input shaft. You have the tranny in neutral while you sit there, then go to put it in first, & it does what you describe. Just a thought, but I had this happen once. Good news- it's free to fix yourself! Bad news- you have to pull the tranny to put it back on.