HybridZ

Are these solid P90 lifters?

jacob80

So all P90 heads have this style? Any other heads the same? What is the real advantage, is it because it is not relying on the springs for the tension?

All L-series heads (save most of the P90As) have the mechanical pivots. Most of the P90As have hydraulic. The mechanical are arguably more reliable, whereas the hydraulic are quieter and don't require adjustment. The benefit to the mechanical is that it's easier to locate aftermarket cams for those heads.

Also, the hydraulic units are NLA, so they must be overhauled even though they were not intended to be a rebuildable part. Essentially, you have to clean them and hope for the best. If that doesn't work you're stuck looking for a set of used ones you'll have to do the same to.

Slightly off topic, but the SOHC VG, and many other newer SOHC Nissan engines, use lifters much like the pushrod V8s, and no pushrods. They are infact legit lifters in these engines, where the cam pushes up on them, they push up on a rocker arm which pivots on the rocker shaft and pushes the valve open...

?

I must have missed that, need to look at the next VG in the junkyard, but from what I saw they appeared to be direct acting cam lobes to rockers. The R-G series Toyotas use the other common OHC cam lifting via shims and buckets.

Some of them may be haydraulic lash adjusted. But since they are direct action below the cam to the valve and depress the valves, I don't see calling them 'lifters' but 'hydraulic bucket' or some permutation thereof.

Got a photo somewhere of those VG Lifters?