HybridZ

Are these solid P90 lifters?

jacob80

Did you get one of those P90a heads with solid lifters or something?

No, its an '82 and I've heard so many things about whether its possible you may or may not have solid lifters regardless of P90 or P90A. Just doing a double check!

I don't think hydraulics came with the mouse trap springs on them, however the rockers still had the groove for them to be used. Solid lifters should have in the order, the 6 sided hex to screw the lifter into the head, its a big 20mm or whatever, then a smaller 17-ish mm hex head for the lock nut, and then finally a 14mm hex head to adjust the height of the lifter. If you have hydraulic, you will only have the big 20mm that screws the lifter into the head. What you have is solid because there are three sections to fit a wrench onto. If its a P90A check for inserts. Just be prepared to let some head bolts loose one at a time because the lifters right next to the cam towers, you can get a socket over the hex head fully due to the washer under the head bolt. The hex head for to tighten the lifter down with is thin so you can't get a very good grip on it either way.

6tfscp.jpg

Now give them too me! I need some. :angry:

Edited by josh817

• 4 weeks later...

P90 and P90a heads are just... Fun!!!

TOTALLY useless post, but I dug through our Pile O' Cylinder heads the other day and discovered 3 P90s (one or two were a's, all were solid lifters or no lifters, heh) and an E31, and so this thread made me smile.

Edited by Daeron

And to think I have a '83 P90A sitting in my garage, on a shelf, with solid lifters. :-D

Nice find though jacob. Mind me asking how much you paid? Head, or whole engine?

$350 for the whole engine (L28ET of course). Turbo looked like somebody took a pair of pliers and just went at the wheel, just to make it useless for the next guy. I was able to turn the motor by hand, if that means anything. I thought it was a great deal! :)

Just a bit of pedantic OCD here, but what or why are you guys referring to them as 'lifters'?

I mean, they're pivots. Adjustable Mechanical Pivots, or Hydraulic Pivots. I'll even go so far as to say Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.... But damn, they're not 'lifters', they don't LIFT anything! They're a fixed-point leverage for a fulcrum.

It is a direct-acting OHC design, there are no 'lifters' in there, only rocer-arm pivots.

Yes, this is up there with 'Freeze Plug' and 'irregardless' for me.

Just a bit of pedantic OCD here, but what or why are you guys referring to them as 'lifters'?

I mean, they're pivots. Adjustable Mechanical Pivots, or Hydraulic Pivots. I'll even go so far as to say Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.... But damn, they're not 'lifters', they don't LIFT anything! They're a fixed-point leverage for a fulcrum.

It is a direct-acting OHC design, there are no 'lifters' in there, only rocer-arm pivots.

Yes, this is up there with 'Freeze Plug' and 'irregardless' for me.

Normally, Tony, I am your semantic argument ally and partner.. but I don't know if I will ever be able to stop calling either one of them "lifters" even if the whole world disregards me for a fool because of it. I could try to justify it by saying that by providing the pivot, the rocker arm ratio is allowed to increase the direct valve lift, thereby increasing or somehow contributing to the job of lifting.. but I'll just be wrong and call them lifters rather than argue B)

Edited by Daeron

Dose not at least the hydraulic lifters, keep an upward pressure on the rocker during the lobe rotation? Even in other engines the hydraulic lifters really don't lift, the cam dose the work. With the exception above.

The solid pivot dose not push at all, rather the rocker pushes down on the pivot point.

Hydraulic Lifters are inline with the pushrods, and transmit linear motion. Thereby "Lifting" the pushrod to the rocker arm, which pivots and pushes down on the valves.

Lifters Lift, Rocer Arms Pivot.

This is akind to calling the ballstuds on the Small Block Chevy 'lifters'---they are nothing more than a pivot so the rocer arm can transmit motion to the valve tip.

Hydraulic Lifters are inline with the pushrods, and transmit linear motion. Thereby "Lifting" the pushrod to the rocker arm, which pivots and pushes down on the valves.

Lifters Lift, Rocer Arms Pivot.

This is akind to calling the ballstuds on the Small Block Chevy 'lifters'---they are nothing more than a pivot so the rocer arm can transmit motion to the valve tip.

True enough! Thanks Tony. I may have to start calling them "ballstuds"?! Then again "studlyballs" may work...

Irregardless of whether those lifters are solid or hydraulic, you got a great deal! While the engine is out, you should do a full rebuild, including replacing the freeze plugs.

irregardlessly for sure.

So Tony, how's those muffler bearings doing?

In all fairness the reason we all call them "lifters" is because of the nomenclature in the pushrod V8 world, where this is the common name for hydraulic part that allows for compensation for valve lifter/rocker wear, thus reducing how often you need to check valve clearances.

It's like if you were calling your 16" rim a 16" wagon wheel. Sure, it's absurd. But ignorance allows the term to be abused.

Maybe from now on I'll call them "hydraulic adjusters" just for you Tony.

Guest Flauski

So all P90 heads have this style? Any other heads the same? What is the real advantage, is it because it is not relying on the springs for the tension?

In all fairness the reason we all call them "lifters" is because of the nomenclature in the pushrod V8 world, where this is the common name for hydraulic part that allows for compensation for valve lifter/rocker wear, thus reducing how often you need to check valve clearances.

Slightly off topic, but the SOHC VG, and many other newer SOHC Nissan engines, use lifters much like the pushrod V8s, and no pushrods. They are infact legit lifters in these engines, where the cam pushes up on them, they push up on a rocker arm which pivots on the rocker shaft and pushes the valve open...