HybridZ

Proximity sensor?

rags

Looking to the electronic guru's out there. I'd like to do away with my ignition key and am thinking of duplicating what new car manufacturers are doing with proximity sensors. I'm not sure if that is the technical term but it's the device that enables the ignition when a teamed device comes within range. Then a simple start button can be used to start the car. Move the teamed device far enough away from the car and the ignition/electrical system is disabled. Does anyone have any information on availability of a kit of this type or how I would go about piecing together such a system?

Joe

Looking to the electronic guru's out there. I'd like to do away with my ignition key and am thinking of duplicating what new car manufacturers are doing with proximity sensors. I'm not sure if that is the technical term but it's the device that enables the ignition when a teamed device comes within range. Then a simple start button can be used to start the car. Move the teamed device far enough away from the car and the ignition/electrical system is disabled. Does anyone have any information on availability of a kit of this type or how I would go about piecing together such a system?

Joe

I forget how I found them last time, but there are several kits out there.

The only one I can remember off the top of my head is this one:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/vehicle-keyless-push-button-start-and-security/p2021117.jcwx?skuId=552642&TID=8014524F&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=product-540166&zmam=15972153&zmas=21&zmac=141&zmap=540166

Looking up RFID technology on google, this appears to be another option (not sure why it is so cheap though):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220459427473&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=M*S%3F&GUID=92323d361180a0bae154ff44fffbbc6f&itemid=220459427473&ff4=263602_263622#ht_1522wt_964

Have a look at the StarDrive by Auto-hub see http://auto-hub.com/ they even use a Nissan button :) if you read the info in the link above you will see that most RFID use the cheap unencrypted chips. StarDrives systems and a few others use the encrypted chips that require power for the rolling codes etc.

Really old school low-tech:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CH409-ND

I saw something like this on a custom van in the 1970s. The builder had a magnetic reed switch hidden under a cup holder on the dash. Just carried a small magnet on his keychain, and casually dropped it into the cup holder, closing the hidden switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, if they are willing to hack the RFID chip to get your car, it's the least of your worries...

Break a window, hotwire the thing and drive away. Much less work.

(that's why fuel pump switches and such are better to worry about putting in and go with cheaper RFID options)

Man, if they are willing to hack the RFID chip to get your car, it's the least of your worries...

Break a window, hotwire the thing and drive away. Much less work.

(that's why fuel pump switches and such are better to worry about putting in and go with cheaper RFID options)

My thoughts exactly. Usually there is no hot wire necessary. Just insert a nail file in the ignition and twist! 35 year old locks are not that hard to beat. :)

Joe

Now to see...

I Bought the cheap crappy RFID alarm for 30 bucks. I'll let you know what I think of it... if it's too horrible, heck, I'll play with the RFID and relays and have some project fun.

(I can think of a few fun pranks)

That alarm, plus two cheap lock actuators and I have prox keyless entry for 40 bucks, cheap/fun project at minimum.