HybridZ

New Pilot Bearing, Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Throw Out Bearing

jacob80

This is what I my setup is:

L28ET

ACT NX2-HDG6 clutch/pressure plate (http://www2.advancedclutch.com/1209406/0/0/0/1983_NISSAN_280ZX_L6_2.8L_T_FI_(L28ET).html)

Fidanza Flywheel (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fidanza-flywheel-Nissan-240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-Pickup_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20a8c8a033QQitemZ140270673971QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1970wt_1167)

Yes, I would say that 30501-K0401 is what I want. But, what is this collar I have for, and is it equivalent to this P/N?

BTW, where did you get that 30501 1C104 part? I don't see it listed for the S130 or S30 cars, and there are 6 part numbers alone for the S30 cars. I'm not saying it won't work, but I'm just curious what it comes off of.

Nigel

cllr.jpg

Ok, guys, hopefully we can figure this out. Here are a couple of videos:

I need to know if this 28mm height clutch collar will work with my ACT NX2-HDG6 setup, the cluTch collar part number and photo are pictured above. Thanks!!!!

Ok here is a my 2ct.

Is that metal dust on the pressure plate?

If that is could be from what appears as heavy ware on the fingers were the bearing rides.

I'm considering this is all new stuff.

So seems to long of a collar.

Now, might want to replace the bearing while you are at it.

Another thing, (i might have missed this), is that the 240mm clutch and flywheel/pressure plate?

Last thing, is that poly on your T/C rods?

Ok here is a my 2ct.

Is that metal dust on the pressure plate?

If that is could be from what appears as heavy ware on the fingers were the bearing rides.

I'm considering this is all new stuff.

So seems to long of a collar.

Now, might want to replace the bearing while you are at it.

Another thing, (i might have missed this), is that the 240mm clutch and flywheel/pressure plate?

Last thing, is that poly on your T/C rods?

I am thinking that yes, my collar is too long. It is a 225mm clutch with the stock 4 speed collar, and it slipped like no other, so I'm thinking when we bolted up the transmission, before we even touched the clutch pedal it was already disengaging the clutch. It very well may be metal dust! And yes, everything is brand new! I have a new pilot bearing, throw out bearing, collar, clutch, pressure plate, and slav cyliner that will be going on the car, and I called MSA yesterday and confirmed that yes, I do have the right collar! Also, what are you referring to when you say T/C rods? One last thing, should I do something special to the flywheel to clean it? I know the clutch was slipping a lot, so I just don't want that to have an effect on the new clutch. Could the previous clutch have polished the flywheel friction surface to the point where the new clutch may not hook up?? Just making sure I get everything right, thanks!!!

I am thinking that yes, my collar is too long. It is a 225mm clutch with the stock 4 speed collar, and it slipped like no other, so I'm thinking when we bolted up the transmission, before we even touched the clutch pedal it was already disengaging the clutch. It very well may be metal dust! And yes, everything is brand new! I have a new pilot bearing, throw out bearing, collar, clutch, pressure plate, and slav cyliner that will be going on the car, and I called MSA yesterday and confirmed that yes, I do have the right collar! Also, what are you referring to when you say T/C rods? One last thing, should I do something special to the flywheel to clean it? I know the clutch was slipping a lot, so I just don't want that to have an effect on the new clutch. Could the previous clutch have polished the flywheel friction surface to the point where the new clutch may not hook up?? Just making sure I get everything right, thanks!!!

I put a new "stock" clutch and pressure plate behind a 76 motor with a 78 transmission, but did not have the flywheel refinished because it looked "okay" and I wanted to save a few dollars. I cleaned the metal surfaces with Brakleen before assembly. It works fine, but it chatters a little, sometimes (when it's cold), at low rpm engagement. I think this might be because the clutch disc is seeing two friction surfaces with different characteristics, a shiny smooth one and a freshly machined one. It's not a huge deal, but can be irritating.

The T/C rod comment is about the tension/compression rod in your video (connects to the bottom of the transverse link aka control arm) with the red round bushing on the end. Poly in the back of the rod can (according to some, big discussion topic, search T/C rod poly bushings here and at classiczcar) cause the threaded rod end to fatigue over time and break off.

Re your throwout bearing - I haven't tried it but you could probably eyeball the pressure plate spring - clutch fork contact point, after you install the transmission, before you fit the rubber dust boot on over the fork, using your eye or a mirror if you can't get your head up there. If the throwout bearing doesn't move when you wiggle the fork, it's jammed up against the springs.

You could also measure distances from the back of the motor to the contact points while it's out. Pressure plate to back of motor vs. throwout surface of fork-mounted bearing to front of trans.

Man, I hear you on the search feature. It's making my head spin 386540.gif

If you have an O'Rielly's in your area, they should have the 280ZX Turbo TOB assembly in stock. I got mine for $40. The actual bearing is RUBBISH, use the one that came with your clutch.

Well I called motorsport yesterday afternoon and gave him the part number of the Nissan collar I have and the part number for my clutch.pressure plate setup and he said it will work. According to him, the part number is for a 280z. I mau just go ahead and make some measurements for anyone that is curious. Thanks for your help guys, I am hoping to have this all put back together shortly!

My na collar, fork and bearing (came with clutch) fit my 240mm flywheel, clutch and pressure plate set up on my 83zx.

(Went from a 225 na stock to the 240mm turbo) Tranny was what came in my 83 na zx as well.

Seems like the fork, tranny, collar and clutch size seems to vary from year to year.

When I think of it some more I think it boils down to tranny and clutch size.

Eventually someone is going to take the time, (that has a lot of parts) and document it all and it will become a sticky.