HybridZ

Autism Awareness 570Z

Bartman

As some of you may know I don't take my Z too many places without my daughter. She loves cars and my Z, and she loves to go to car shows and other events with me. My daughter is also autistic, so I decided to put autism decals on my car to help raise autism awareness. So I just got them today and installed them on one side. Here's a couple of pic's:

med_gallery_824_764_122575.jpg

med_gallery_824_764_500245.jpg

Very nice.    :2thumbs:

It is becoming more and more prevalent. "Fastest-growing developmental disability; 1,148% growth rate" :o  Something needs to be done NOW.

Edited by cygnusx1

Thats awesome :D I was watching a show about cats and how they used a certain breed to treat a kid with autism. His mother thought he wouldn't want to participate in the show because of his autism but he even did a one on one interview with show. All of this was a result of the friendly nature of this one specific breed of cat, which for the life of me I can't remember which. Just thought I would share that :)

Very nice. :2thumbs:

It is becoming more and more prevalent. "Fastest-growing developmental disability; 1,148% growth rate" :o Something needs to be done NOW.

Campaign to stop stuffing our meat supply full of anti-biotics to raise cattle yeild and stop using synthetic preservatives in food.

/rant. This comes up about once a month in all my micro classes and it annoys me.

I'm really glad to see your whole hearted support for your daughter like that. I wish the local community was as devoted as parents.

Edited by MAG58

Campaign to stop stuffing our meat supply full of anti-biotics to raise cattle yeild and stop using synthetic preservatives in food.

/rant. This comes up about once a month in all my micro classes and it annoys me.

My 4yo son has autism, I don't thing that antibiotics and preservatives increase the chances of being affected with autism, I do however feel that the rounds of childhood immunization shots are linked to autism.

For us it was like the sparkle left Simons eyes one day and he never came back. He was a typical 2 year old then BAM different little boy. He is delayed in his social skills, reclusive, has a VERY high tolerance for pain (he can injure himself and recover from the pain quickly which is not good when you hit your head on the hearth of the fireplace OUCH, 4 stitches and it didn’t look bad to me, good thing he has a great mommy ;)

Some may argue the point about the immunizations but the ever increasing rate of autism is of epidemic proportions IMO. Simon also has a twin brother Elijah (fraternal twins) who is typical, had the same shots at the same time but is fine, go figure, I still feel there is a link and somebody is covering something up.

My 4yo son has autism, I don't thing that antibiotics and preservatives increase the chances of being affected with autism, I do however feel that the rounds of childhood immunization shots are linked to autism.

For us it was like the sparkle left Simons eyes one day and he never came back. He was a typical 2 year old then BAM different little boy. He is delayed in his social skills, reclusive, has a VERY high tolerance for pain (he can injure himself and recover from the pain quickly which is not good when you hit your head on the hearth of the fireplace OUCH, 4 stitches and it didn’t look bad to me, good thing he has a great mommy ;)

Some may argue the point about the immunizations but the ever increasing rate of autism is of epidemic proportions IMO. Simon also has a twin brother Elijah (fraternal twins) who is typical, had the same shots at the same time but is fine, go figure, I still feel there is a link and somebody is covering something up.

The unfortunate thing about the way disorders work is that is completely chance. There are millions of people in this world that do the same things over and over again, only some get cancer. I wish that in biology there was a black/white line that we could definitively say it will or will not cause x to happen. No such luck.

And I never said I was against antibiotics used for their intended purpose. I'm against antibiotics used in livestock for the soul purpose of weight gain for slaughter. I'm not sure that many can comprehend the number of resistance cassettes and recombinant dna that's put into the environment by that. THOSE are what cause problems. I also believe that doctors over prescribe antibiotics before doing cultures as a result of the current legal environment (you don't prescribe fast enough you get sued. You prescribe and it leads to some issue the durg company gets sued. Someone HAS to get sued or it isn't the health care system). Only 10% of bronchitis cases (for example) are bacterial. How many times do you get an antibiotic for bronchitis? Antibiotics do nasty nasty things to what they were designed to kill, and personally I don't want them in me unless I need them (even though they have selective toxcicity towards eukaryotic cells). Just remember that immunizations and antibiotics are VERY different. One is a toxin. The other is usually an avirulent/attenuated strain of a disease so the body can produce an immune response.

Either way, food for thought. My best wishes to him and to your family.

Edited by MAG58

I work with autistic kids and a significant portion of the perceived recent increase of occurrence can be attributed to better identification and labeling.

Many of these kids would have been labeled anything from odd to retarded a couple decades ago. Understanding the nature of the condition has helped many to lead normal, or near normal, lives and function successfully in society.

There are very active parent support groups and schools are far better prepared to meet unique student needs. Support the cause!

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for all the comments and support. Here's an updated picture:

med_gallery_824_764_15053.jpg

It broke down the night before I was going to take it to a couple of shows, so it's public debut will have to wait.

Edited by Bartman

Kudos. I have also worked one-on-one with children with autism in the past.

Related to the immunizations; my wife and I are not vaxing our son, not just because of the theoretical link with autism but also the other possible unknown side effects.

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd share the slightly updated theme. I took it to a local show and people seemed to like it...including a few guys from West Coast Customs and Barry's Speed Shop. I won "Best Import" although there wasn't much competition.

med_gallery_824_764_1933419.jpg

med_gallery_824_764_492054.jpg

Hey Bartman,

Great work! Here's some other enthusiasts who are doing some work in support of Autism Awareness:

http://www.racing4autism.ca/

Also, we're auctioning off a door from last year's Targa 240Z rally car at ZCON this July and a portion of the proceeds will go to the local Autism Society here in Newfoundland. Additional proceeds will go to the Japan Disaster Relief Fund and a couple of other charities. We've got 2 fenders and 2 doors from last year's car that will all be auctioned off at various venues all in the good name of charity.

Keep up the good work!

Stay tuned to

http://www.targa240z.com/

Regards,

RSC

Thanks rjstcroix,

I'm very familiar with racing4autism - in fact that's where I got my original Autism Awareness theme inspiration. My daughters name is actually on one of the puzzle pieces on their car. I wanted to use the racing4autism logo at first, but they wouldn't give me permission to do so.

I hadn't seen your targa240z site before, nice work on that and very generous of you to donote to such worthy causes.