HybridZ

Gasket sealer for intake manifold gasket...bad idea?

I searched...

I'm finally biting the bullet and pulling my Webers to investigate a suspected intake mainfold leak. Truth be told, I'm not sure it is leaking but I have *every* symptom of a manifold leak and tried to solve the symptoms by other means hoping I wouldn't have to pull the mainfold.

So, since it's a relatively simple and straight-forward job a new gasket is going in. However, I don't want to do this again, so I was going to use copper-based gasket sealer to make double sure with the new gasket that it'll all seal up nice (after making sure the manifold is square). Good idea...bad idea? If it is a bad idea, why exactly is that so? If not sealant then what would be the recommendation?

I live in Japan so I don't have the availability of a wide variety of commonly used sealants, so I bought the permatex ultra copper high heat stuff on base....good to 700*F intermittent.

R/

Dustin

Edited by Konish

adding some gasket sealer would be a fine idea. dont pour it on like its going out of style, but a coating on

both sides will make sure everything is sealed. you will be fine. just make sure you clean the manifold and engine mating surfaces (if there's any burnt on/ stuck/ broken gasket pieces) very well otherwise a leak may occur anyway.

Edited by Incubusjunkie614

Gasket and manifold went on with copper RTV and everything sealed up wonderfully. It *probably* would have worked without the goop (as my last one did until I R&R the manifold 2X) but the little bit of insurance makes me feel better about it. Thanks everyone!

If you can find them, those multi-layered aluminum re-usable crush gaskets work EXTREMELY good at sealing, even if the surface isn't flat.

I tried looking for one...thought Fel-Pro made one but nothing on their site. I'd really like to get a few of these to add to my spare parts stockpile.