HybridZ

Blowzilla Blewzilla

Warren

Found the exducer (hot side) wheel in the exhaust pipe, just in front of the muffler (no cat).

23642_1168858561655_1833700397_344124_1112492_n.jpg

23642_1168857801636_1833700397_344123_4731362_n.jpg

23642_1168857401626_1833700397_344122_5651585_n.jpg

23642_1168856521604_1833700397_344121_2657842_n.jpg

23642_1168856201596_1833700397_344120_6748375_n.jpg

That explains the big cloud of smoke at half track that the car disappeared behind looking from the burnout box downtrack.

Edited by Warren

It's been sent to Garrett for their determination of what went wrong. They'll probably come back with some BS excuse like "oil starvation", "oil contamination" or some other "user error"... (It's NEVER their or their builder's fault.)

What's next is probably another new center section, at the least...possibly a new compressor housing as well, which really sucks, because the current one was Jet-Hot coated (more $$$). We'll see how expensive this is gonna be first before the real "What's next" can be answered.

Also, I'm sure it took out both of the O2 Sensors (LM1 and narrow band) downstream from it's normal position...I just haven't pulled them yet to see.

Edited by Warren

I find failures like this horrifying and fascinating at the same time. I've never seen one like that before...

Seems like I read somewhere that turbine wheeels are friction welded to the shafts, and from the looks of this (clean break with no evidence of burning) it looks as if that weld was defective.

Rick, Fascinatingly traumatic, yet horrifyingly expensive as well... Hope you're right and they find that it was defective...That would just make my day.

yetterben, it's NEVER good to see ANYTHING fly out of the exhaust, but then that's obvious.

Prox, It's been sitting in the garage, not even being driven. That happened on the 12th pass down the track in the car's new life (2nd pass of that day). The car still has under 350 miles on it since the build. Too many other irons in the fire. I've been ok, just busy doing other "life" things.

O2 SENSOR UPDATE: The O2 sensors are ok...seems it only touched the narrowband (thank God, that's the cheap one) on it's way through the system, leaving only one small mark (aka dent) on it near the end. The LM1's sensor was untouched and appears to still be in perfect working order.

Evan, I know, right?

Gabe, all I can do is hope.

Scottie, not to worry, I like air and breathing is one of those "mandatory" things.

Jacob, thanks for the old info, but how much of that post is truth and how much is babble from a disgruntled employee? That's the question.

MReddle, I guess we'll see in the near future if my fate is the same.

Edited by Warren

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner...been moving and NOT paying attention to the computer or posts.

The specs on this POS were:

.70 a/r

61mm inducer

flow: 65 lbs/min 832cfm

turbine: T3

.82a/r housing

stg5 turbine wheel

360* thrust bearing (journal, not ball bearing)

*same compressor section as GT35R (with journal bearings, not ball)

Has me wondering if I even want to fool around with Garrett again, since they're claiming that "something" went through this turbo... Yet, honestly, NOTHING went through it but HOT AIR (and oil after the breaking of the shaft). Needless to say, I'm stuck now with NO turbo and a lack of desire to replace it any time soon. (Change my mind, PLEASE...I miss driving the car.)

Oh and Yes, JSM... I did trailer the car to the track that day.

Edited by Warren

Brad, it DID come from "PROVEN" company, unfortunately, they've PROVEN to have provided several bad units (and not just to me).

I'm currently exploring all of my options, including a completely different setup (engine-wise, that is).

Warren, I'm not about to get into a pissing match with you,

I will simply make a few statements and observations, then I'm done with this thread....

That PROVEN company has not been in business as long as Turbonetics. They STILL don't have working website (ie: not a placeholder page).

As far as I know, the only reason anyone here knows about the company you were using was because of one member here who sold their products, and yes, there have been failures.

Turbonetics has been around a LONG time - years and years before I even bought my turbo in '94 and are still around and apparently still providing good product.

We already know not to trust that company you've had to deal with.

And no folks, I will not name names, but the member selling these turbos is no longer in the business.

There is no way that any of the woes Warren has had are a result of anything he did wrong - you just simply don't know how much attention to detail Warren puts into anything he does.

Now, I would probably entertain doing business with a company that gives discounts on Turbonetics Turbos - but only for turbos that are stock Turbonetics - not frankenturbos using some Garrett and some Turbonetics and some who knows what. Come to that - even mixing up parts from the same manufacturer for a frankenturbo such as what Warren had, if done by people with no long term reputation can lead to exactly the problems we're talking about too.

If I can see the same specs in the Turbonetics catalog and on the sellers website and they state it is a Turbonetics - then as far as I'm concerned, if it isn't a real Turbonetics when it comes in it'll go back - I'm protected by laws governing false advertising ans my AMEX account reps will back me up.

I don't mind saving a buck, and I'm sure due diligence of a sort was used in sourcing a supplier by the person who sold Warren his, but sometimes one simply has to pony up the proper amount of valuta to insure getting a good product. For something as expensive as a turbo, that extra 10-25 percent can be considered insurance - especially if you're talking about a daily driver. For a weekend or race car, some will go cheap but they almost always DNF eventually.

I am sure there are companies out there that can put turbos together as well as Turbonetics, I can think of a few that have good reps that have been reported here. Because I have had good luck with Trubonetics (the ZXT was my daily driver at the time), I see no reason to look anywhere else. Other people have had other good experiences with other companies. There are at least two people out of our small population on this board that have had problems with the turbos from this one particular company .

I am only encouraging people to do business with companies that are known to be trustworthy and not have to shell out big bucks later to save a relatively small amount on their initial purchase.

I'm sure I've said more than enough, so I'm outta here...