HybridZ

1980 280ZX Brake lights will NOT turn off - battery dies

PhilbertZ

Guys,

Very strange problem I haven't come across before.

I went to start my ZX yesterday after sitting for a week and turn the key and NOTHING - no voltage at all - everything is dead. I checked and no lights were left on or doors left ajar...just dead. the battery was replaced in October - and I've left it to sit for up to 2 weeks at a time before with no issue so it's not the battery.

I jumped it this morning and it started fine. However, when running I noticed that the 2 brake lights were ON! I checked the pedal and there was no play/sticking. I also forced the brake down with a crammed in golf club to see if that changed the lights at all - nothing - still on (as if someone were standing on the brakes before and after the golf club was applied).

Any idea what could be causing this constant power to my brake lights?

I disconnected the plugs to each taillight after charging the car to avoid this again, but I don't want to live like that forever....

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks!

BTW, here are the photos of my voltage gauge:

Engine off, with key in:

enigneoffkeyinignition.jpg

Engine on:

enigneon.jpg

This was one of my first problems when I got my ZX

Do you see yellow/clear or amber colored bits of plastic on the floor?

Apparently (and I don't know the technical terms so don't flame) but there's a small circular (almost like nickel, but plastic) stopper type contact that the brake pedal hits when you're not stepping on it (or is it when you are stepping on it?) that makes it so that the brake lights turn back off when you're done braking. Problem is, nissan made the piece plastic, so if you got a ZX that's been sitting for 4 years like I did and start smashing on the brakes on corners and what not driving the hell out of your new project car, the brittle plastic stopper cracks and breaks to bits.

Local Z specialty shop over here told me that ^^ and they replaced the plastic piece with a nut (like nut and bolt) regular hex nut (obviously one that fits in the spot the stopper was in) and wala! Brake lights work again. I honestly think they said they simply just glued it in the same spot too? But hey its a metal nut, so it'll never crack and brake on you ever again.

I didn't do the repair with my own hands so I couldn't be entirely descriptive but I hope that helped.

This was one of my first problems when I got my ZX

Do you see yellow/clear or amber colored bits of plastic on the floor?

Apparently (and I don't know the technical terms so don't flame) but there's a small circular (almost like nickel, but plastic) stopper type contact that the brake pedal hits when you're not stepping on it (or is it when you are stepping on it?) that makes it so that the brake lights turn back off when you're done braking. Problem is, nissan made the piece plastic, so if you got a ZX that's been sitting for 4 years like I did and start smashing on the brakes on corners and what not driving the hell out of your new project car, the brittle plastic stopper cracks and breaks to bits.

Local Z specialty shop over here told me that ^^ and they replaced the plastic piece with a nut (like nut and bolt) regular hex nut (obviously one that fits in the spot the stopper was in) and wala! Brake lights work again. I honestly think they said they simply just glued it in the same spot too? But hey its a metal nut, so it'll never crack and brake on you ever again.

I didn't do the repair with my own hands so I couldn't be entirely descriptive but I hope that helped.

THANK YOU!

WOW! I *did* come across that on the driver's side floor well today - the yellow plastic "plug" of sorts - that must be it!!

where does it attach?

Edited by PhilbertZ

The plastic piece goes on the pedal. I had to put a nut and bolt in my pedal after the plastic piece broke and killed the battery. I had to readjust the switch a bit to make sure the new stopper did not slam into the switch when the brake pedal was released. Works good now.

The nut and bolt method tends to slam the brake and clutch switches a little hard, so should only be used as a temporary fix. It's a pretty common part used in all kinds of cars so most Nissan dealers keep it in stock.

thanks guys - I'm so glad I posted here and learned the cause for this.

I broke down and called the dealer to see if they may have this 30 year old part....lo and behold they did - for less than $3.00.

I picked it up today, installed it, jumped the Z, and HOORAY - no more brakelights!!

Below are some photos to guide anyone looking at this in the future who may come across the same problem. The one thing that startled me (and this just happened now while looking at all the photos I took), is that there seems to be a second switch, also actuated by the brake pedal - and I'm missing that stopper too! Does anyone know what that switch is for?

PHOTOS!

OLDstopperwithtext.jpg

NEWPARTwithtext.jpg

lowerkickpanelremovedwithtext.jpg

lowerheaterductremovedwithtext.jpg

Stoppergaponpedalwithtext.jpg

newstopperinstalledwithtext.jpg

ALLDONEwithtext.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I'm glad I learned about this before I shattered my little stupid plastic plug/switch switchers.

It was a cheap and easy fix :)

However, even though I replaced the cruise control stopper (also missing), CC still doesn't work :/

• 10 years later...

This part number is still accurate. The part cost less than $8 today when I picked one up. Thank the Googles I checked this problem and it is so easy to fix.

Thanks for doing the pics to show the repair, OP.  Good job.

Ima go fix my 280zx now. 

Cheers.