HybridZ

What R200 gears will interchange?

cannonball55

Looking into getting a new ring and pinion for my 1989 r200 out of a 300 zx turbo. Its the clutch style lsd. I would prefer 4.10 or atleast 3.90. The 3.70 are too tall for my setup. In 6th gear at 70 mph I'm at only 1800 rpm. I know they put r200 rears in a ton of things over the years. Are all the gears from any r200 interchangeable? I have tried doing searches to find the answer and read the sticky threads posted in drivetrain and found that there is a 10mm version and a 12mm version. I think I have the 12mm but I'm not sure (may have got my numbers crossed). Any suggestions on where to buy a new set of gears that would work with my setup or a list of interchangeable gears would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Stewart

There are longnose R200's and shortnose R200's and the gears don't interchange. I believe new gears are NLA from Nissan. Installing gears in a housing is the difficult way to get a different ratio. A much easier way is to find a diff with the gears you want and swap the LSD into that diff. I did a write up on this and it is posted in the FAQ section. I bought a 200SXT diff with 4.11's and swapped the LSD into that. You can get 3.90's from a 280ZX pretty easily as well. The earlier diffs come with 10mm ring gear bolts, so you just use a bushing to make up the difference. If you search you'll find a part number from McMaster Carr for the bushing.

I would rather keep my clutch style lsd instead of switching to a viscous one. Do any aftermarket companies make ring and pinion sets for r200s that will work? Anyone have a set of gears that they would like to sell? With the long nose r200 am I limited to finding gears for an 84-89 300zx?

Thanks

Stewart

I would rather keep my clutch style lsd instead of switching to a viscous one. Do any aftermarket companies make ring and pinion sets for r200s that will work? Anyone have a set of gears that they would like to sell? With the long nose r200 am I limited to finding gears for an 84-89 300zx?

Thanks

Stewart

Please search and read the previous post in this thread.

• 13 years later...

I have an r200 long nose out of a N/A 87 z31. I want to keep it open diff but I’d really like to swap a 4.11 or 4.3 gear set. Will it just swap over? And will it work with the stock axels if I put the 4.11 gear in my r200 housing? (Z is going to remain N/A) 

My understanding is that all R200 long-nose ring and pinion’s are interchangeable in any R200 long-nose assembly. However, I would watch a few YouTube vids before you take on the challenge. It’s not really “easy” if you aren’t experienced. You need a dial gauge to set backlash, or some enamel paint to check tooth surface contact. It’s also a bit of a pain in the ass to get the center assembly out. Lots of banging with a rubber mallet to get things in/out etc. might want to just hand it to a local diff shop and pay them for 2-3 hrs labor 

Edited by AydinZ71