first, requirements:

-under 20k

-decent fuel economy (should run on 87)

-fun to drive

-manual transmission

-4 doors, rear seats must fold down

-newer than 3 years

-no domestics, no VW

saturday I tested a 2010 mazda 3 hatch for 20,500 out the door, with 0% financing. I can get another $500 off for mazda loyalty rebate.

'10 mazda 3s hatchback is rated for 22/29 mpg, although my gf's sedan gets 30-31 highway if driven right, and averages 28-29. It's comfortable for long trips, has lots of gadgets like bluetooth for phone, full id3 tag readout for mp3s, comfortable grippy seats. But the seating position is very high, much like a minivan even if you lower the seat. Handling is pretty good, I pushed the hatch through a turn or two pretty good. The looks.... have not yet grown on me

i test drove a 2010 civic LX 5 speed, light and nimble, very smooth shifter, almost no weight in hte clutch at all. civic quote was 15,700 + title/reg fees. civic did not have any nifty features, not even volume control on the steering wheel, and rolled on steelies with hubcaps. It did have power windows, doors, etc. I could probably work something better as far as a deal goes, and it does have great seats and gets 36 mpg on highway. Handling not as good as mazda 3, even though it's a lighter car. Also louder on freeway

Also testdrove the 2010 mazdaspeed 3. Not impressive compared to last year's model - it's heavier and definitely slower. I was really really not impressed with it. I got a quote for it for $22k before fees, but no particular interest in it. And it requires 91 octane

Sunday I test drove a subaru 5 speed impreza 2.5 hatchback. rated for 20/27, but I think it's capable of getting better fuel economy than that. It's got torque, but the engine sounds incredibly coarse (naturally, for a subie boxer), handles well, and has really good low seating position, all necessary controls on steering wheel, but plastics feel cheaper than mazda 3. Seats are adequate, not as grippy as others, and the material is meh. Room is about the same as a mazda 3, maybe an inch more legroom for rear passengers.

Last contender was a 2009 white mazda 3s hatch, used with 20,000 miles. it still has factory warranty, I could get it for 14,500 even though it's marked for 17k. Pros are it's identical to my old car, handles better (stiffer chassis because it's a hatch, although has shitty eagle tires on it), and has 17" rims. Everything on the interior is like new, slightly updated from what I had before

So I'm not really sure which direction to go here... thoughts?

Edited by auxilary

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first, requirements:

-under 20k

-decent fuel economy (should run on 87)

-fun to drive

-manual transmission

-no domestics, no VW

Sunday I test drove a subaru 5 speed impreza 2.5 hatchback. rated for 20/27, but I think it's capable of getting better fuel economy than that. It's got torque, but the engine sounds incredible coarse (naturally, for a subie boxer), handles well, and has really good low seating position, all necessary controls on steering wheel, but plastics feel cheaper than mazda 3. Seats are adequate, not as grippy as others, and the material is meh. Room is about the same as a mazda 3, maybe an inch more legroom for rear passengers.

Doesn't meet your requirements, but...

04/05 STi. Don't even think twice :D

S6301705.jpg

It makes up for being under the reqs because

A: it's gorgeous, best looking STi of all time

B: tonnes out of the box fun

Edited by flatblack280

no domestics???? i bought a 08 grand prix bullet proof good mileage decent looks. tons of interior space. i got it for 14 out the door with 19,xxx on the clock.

Mazda 3 dude just go back there slamming cars. Hell go for a 6

Edited by yetterben

Ah but Ford focus Zx3's meets your requirements my dad bought one for my mom and now we all fight over who gets to drive it haha. He raced some kid in a Turbo Talon and Killed him. It gets 30 miles a gallon on 87, Mazda DOHC 2.0 making 130hp,5 speed with cruise, a sunroof, very very comfortable, nice stereo system, 6 Disk CD changer. Plus the parts are cheap and easy to find we bought ours with 70,000 miles for $3500 and its a 2003, Plus the SVT focus has 170HP :D. Just try it you will like it ;).

No domestics - I am pretty sure Focus falls into that category. I dislike ford more than VW. And yes, I am aware that my Mazda 3 had FOMOCO stamped on brakes and shocks. Which probably explains why I had to replace rear shocks at 50k, and rear brake pads wore out twice as fast as fronts, and there's a common recall issue with stuck/frozen rear calipers on mazda 3s.

Edited by auxilary

Have you looked at a Honda Fit? I have a 2007 Sport model with a five speed and average around 35 MPG in combined city and highway driving and have seen close to 40 MPG when I really try for the best mileage. The car has been very reliable with no problems to report in the 56,XXX miles I've put on it in the last three years. It holds a ton of stuff with the seats folded flat and its relative light weight makes it kinda fun to drive in the twisties.

I can't comment on the newer Fits but I do know that they went up in price and I'm not too thrilled with the revised styling, but then again the original Fit wasn't much of a looker either. They still roll on 4x100 wheels so the possible upgrades are endless. It's a Honda so depreciation is low and resale is high and they always seem to be rated as the best car in their class. FWIW, I parked my Fit next to the 1990 Civic Wagon that I used to own and they were almost identical in size. The unfortunate part is that the Fit was about 500 to 600 heavier than the Civic which I suppose is inevitable with all the required safety gear and power accessories that come standard on them.

If I were buying a daily driver again it would be either another Fit or a Miata with a hitch for towing a small utility trailer.

Jim

I have a buddy selling a 2006 Mazda MX-5 miata for around $15k and has roughly 16k miles. It has a 6 speed "blah blah" package with traction, power, roll bar, etc.

....Use the trunk as a "backseat" no worries!

Edited by Blitz21

04 350z lacks the following:

-fuel economy

-4 doors

-seating capacity beyond 2 people

-carry space :)

-warranty

Regarding the fit, not so much interest. it's spaceous, but also feels pretty weak. I've driven them, and the looks just don't grow on me. 1.5 liter isn't inspiring much confidence either

most of you seem to be missing the point of "cheap daily driver, seats 4, has warranty, used to commute in heavy traffic 5 days a week, gets 30 mpg or better.

Why bother with an evo or Sti? I can technically afford an older ferrari. That'd be WAY better than an STi or Evo

No VW? Audi A4? They are pretty quick and get 30+mpg. Jetta TDI? BMW 330i? Decently fast. I have a 530I and get 30+mpg, 260HP ~$20K.

All the fun cars are 2 door. The Hyundai Genesis sounds pretty awesome for the price. $20K for a 1.8L turbo. 30mpg and a good warranty. They claim it fits adults in the back seats comfortably.

Edited by bens1088

No VW? Audi A4? They are pretty quick and get 30+mpg. Jetta TDI? BMW 330i? Decently fast. I have a 530I and get 30+mpg, 260HP ~$20K.

All the fun cars are 2 door. The Hyundai Genesis sounds pretty awesome for the price. $20K for a 1.8L turbo. 30mpg and a good warranty. They claim it fits adults in the back seats comfortably.

Let's use the flow chart method:

Is Jetta or Audi a VW? If Yes, abort. If not, notify manufacturer that someone else has infringed their copyright on the trademark name

Genesis Coupe base price is 22k msrp, and it's 2.0 turbo. It fills all spots except 4 door and comfortable seating. it also lacks in the trunk department. It's really not that big of a deal except that lot of people are complaining about transmission issues with them. it is also the first make/year of the car, so I don't think I want to opt to be a guinea pig. Warranty is nice, however, at 5/60 and 10/100k for power train.

Also, I had already narrowed down my choice, which is why I listed them. I was looking for people's input on what to choose out of the ones in the initial post. Wasn't asking for Focii, Jetta, Fit suggestions.

Let's use the flow chart method:

Is Jetta or Audi a VW? If Yes, abort. If not, notify manufacturer that someone else has infringed their copyright on the trademark name

Genesis Coupe base price is 22k msrp, and it's 2.0 turbo. It fills all spots except 4 door and comfortable seating. it also lacks in the trunk department. It's really not that big of a deal except that lot of people are complaining about transmission issues with them. it is also the first make/year of the car, so I don't think I want to opt to be a guinea pig. Warranty is nice, however, at 5/60 and 10/100k for power train.

Also, I had already narrowed down my choice, which is why I listed them. I was looking for people's input on what to choose out of the ones in the initial post. Wasn't asking for Focii, Jetta, Fit suggestions.

You didn't make it too clear that you were asking about the cars you listed. I think that's why we all have been naming cars other than what you initially posted.

In that case, go Mazda 3s. They have been getting good reviews (from what I remember).

Not a fan of the new Honda's. Good reliable cars w/good MPG but ugly as hell IMO.

Looks decent, except the option combinations are pretty bad. Only the base model gets the 6 speed, with 3 color limitation: white, silver, black. Only black and silver get black interior. SE model gets several more colors, like blue, which is only available with beige interior (really?) and no 6 speed manual.

Looks decent, except the option combinations are pretty bad. Only the base model gets the 6 speed, with 3 color limitation: white, silver, black. Only black and silver get black interior. SE model gets several more colors, like blue, which is only available with beige interior (really?) and no 6 speed manual.

Beige interior is ugly as hell.

But what do you expect for 20k?.... Going to have to make some sacrifices?