HybridZ

LS1 / T56 guys, Which Master Cylinder Are You Using?

Just wanting to know, of the LS- 6 speed crowd, who is using what master cylinder. Pro's, Con's...

All of my friends swear by Tick Performance's adjustable master, but I know there are plenty of others on the market. Also, if you could post pics of where you mounted / attached it, that would be helpful also.

Thanks! :D

So you used the standard 280zx clutch master on a T56 behind an LS1??

The reason I ask is I have an LS1/T56 conversion in my 240Z and when I tried to bleed the clutch master is started leaking through the seal into the boot and into the foot well. The master cylinder was a new factory item found in the Commodores/Clubpsorts over he is AUS which would be like the Camaro's/Corvettes over there. I pulled the master cylinder apart and cleaned out the plastic piston and the seals all looked good. Put it all back together and it still leaks. They don't just sell o-ring/seal kits here, you have to buy the whole replacement piston set which includes seals for $200 or a whole new master for $300. Anyone know or have a link to where seal kits are available in the States.

I didn't want to spend that money to have it fail again, and was considering a older Z model clutch master. The question I have is about the volume of brake fluid displaced during the pedal stroke. The matching master seems to be quite small so I was hesitant to replace it with a older larger unit incase it opened the T56 slave cylinder 'too much' and damaged it. You obvioulsy have no dramas with it?? Just wasn't sure about matching different master cylinders to slave cylinders etc.

cheers

The reason I ask is I have an LS1/T56 conversion in my 240Z and when I tried to bleed the clutch master is started leaking through the seal into the boot and into the foot well. The master cylinder was a new factory item found in the Commodores/Clubpsorts over he is AUS which would be like the Camaro's/Corvettes over there. I pulled the master cylinder apart and cleaned out the plastic piston and the seals all looked good. Put it all back together and it still leaks. They don't just sell o-ring/seal kits here, you have to buy the whole replacement piston set which includes seals for $200 or a whole new master for $300. Anyone know or have a link to where seal kits are available in the States.

I didn't want to spend that money to have it fail again, and was considering a older Z model clutch master. The question I have is about the volume of brake fluid displaced during the pedal stroke. The matching master seems to be quite small so I was hesitant to replace it with a older larger unit incase it opened the T56 slave cylinder 'too much' and damaged it. You obvioulsy have no dramas with it?? Just wasn't sure about matching different master cylinders to slave cylinders etc.

cheers

I had the same problem with the stock GTO master over here and could not find any seal kits or aftermarket supply. So I used the 3/4" tilton unit-over 2 years with no problems. I used the 3/4 because that was the bore on the GTO cylinder. The tilton was around $70. There are a couple different models that work but one is more compact and allowed me to still use the stock washer bottle-of course that's on our LHD cars.

cheers

yes . my car came with bw t5 trans. it's an 83 turbo model .

I trust this is not too OT but I had intended to fit a GTO clutch m/s with my LS1/t56 install. I am concerned by the failures of these cylinders experienced by 'm1noel' and 'RB30X'.

I've had a close look at the units and thought the problem might with the swivel connector on the line from the reservoir to the m/c, rather than the cylinder itself. Could either of those gentlemen advise me whether the leak was noticed in the engine bay or the cabin. Thanks.

post-1266-12739224669386_thumb.jpg

Yeah mate, the leak was definetly in the cabin from the rubber boot, as in the piston seal was leaking. And for what its worth, my clutch pedal has a hole drilled a little higher up than the standard piston rod to reduce piston travel.

Picture250636833.jpg

Picture250636832.jpg

Picture250636834.jpg

Edited by RB30X

Pretty sure I've found the problem after stripping the MC for the second time. The piston was travelling too far foward allowing fluid to bypass the rear seal. I will either reduce the rod length which is already pretty adjusted, or increase the bump stop on the clutch pedal. Should be all sorted after that.

Pretty sure I've found the problem after stripping the MC for the second time. The piston was travelling too far foward allowing fluid to bypass the rear seal. I will either reduce the rod length which is already pretty adjusted, or increase the bump stop on the clutch pedal. Should be all sorted after that.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was off in those pictures. I just realized your car is right hand drive! cool.