HybridZ

My 77 Datsun 280z project

Hello, just bought myself a 1977 Datsun 280z of ebay 29.04.2010 (how date is written in Norway:P) after looking for one since I was 16 years old. I am now 20 years old and after selling one 1942 BSA WM20 motorcycle and restoring one 1940 BSA M20, I now had the oportunity and money to start with a new project. I therefore contacted a norwegian import-firm that won the 280z (see pics attached) of an ebay auction. It's hopefully a rust free Arizona car that has everything working, including A/C. It has 100.000 miles on the road and it certainly looks great;)

I can't wait to see it in person, I have to wait about 2 months before the car is here in Norway. My first project subject is to get the car road legal and have it registred on norwegian signs.

After that I will start with my plans. I've already ordered chrome mirrors and Rota RBX wheels in Gun Metal (, 17x9 offset -13 with 215/35-17 front and 17x9,5 offset -19 rear with 225/35-17, and flares. I will also order lowering springs and adjustable shocks, maybe coilovers(?) and a rear disk conversion, so these things is ready to be fitted when the car shows up in Norway. That's how the car will run for this summer/fall. I will also check the car for rust/fails etc and get a total overveiw of the car.

What type of springs and shocks would you recommend? Coilovers maybe?

During the winter I will start up with the rest of my plans. Acid bath for total stripping to bare metal, epoxy primer and new paint (I'm thinking the grey silver that the GT500 (Eleanor) has in Gone in 60 seconds). Welding shut the indicatorlight holes, 240z bumpers front and rear, air dam, 3" stainless steel exhaust, total engine rebuild, 5 speed transmission and some stereo build. Maybe a 280zx Turbo swap after a while, time will show.

Exterior my goal is something like this: http://www.classicdatsun.com/new/432flares-blue1.jpg (with more rim and less tyre:P) I love the stance look (see http://www.stanceworks.com/)

What do you think?

I'll keep updating as things happens!

I'm from Norway and my english isn't that good, so please understand;)

Edited by HaaJeHaa

Hehe, I'm also waiting for a 280z to arrive in Europe :).

Maybe, one day, we will have the oportunity to meet on a Z-car spot in Europe :).

Pozdrowienia z Polski!

:D

That would be nice! They're kinda rare in Europe;)

Theres also atleast 2-3 in finland, and ive got one going to holand as well soon enough =) Im here in texas, in the states and have been shipping cars over there through "halmari" for a few years now. I love to see the cars going somewhere where they are rare and people doing them up nicely so other people will always be asking...what kind of car is that. Good luck with your build and if you need anything shipped (parts or cars) let me know as i get great prices since i have done business with that company many times. -Jeff

These cars a great, I've just started working on my 77 as well. The look of the car you want it to be is cool, have you seen what the car looks like with a ZG nose (Gnose)? I'm thinking of this look for my Z. Have a great time with it!!

These cars a great, I've just started working on my 77 as well. The look of the car you want it to be is cool, have you seen what the car looks like with a ZG nose (Gnose)? I'm thinking of this look for my Z. Have a great time with it!!

Thanks, I'm not sure if I want to cut the fenders, but I'll se. If there is rust there, I will, if not I will will fit 16x8's. I'm not in for a Gnose because I want the car to look mostly stock with some minor mods;) The Gnose looks good though! Have a great time with it you too!

Nice looking car! Can't wait to see the progress. Do you know what wheels those are on the car currently? I have the same wheels, but am unsure of what they are.

Thanks! Yeps, they're on the car! It's some 80's DeLorean "Back to the future" cyclone or turbine looking wheels, more than that I don't now;)

Edited by HaaJeHaa

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to find out just how few Z cars were sold in Europe back in the 70's. Anyhow, congratulations on your purchase, and your written English is probably better than half the people in America can manage, so don't worry! :D

Edited by MazterDizazter