HybridZ

Dirt track setup on a 260 z

So I have gotten bored with my restore and want to make my 260 in to a dirt car. I have a '77 nova I race already but the six cylinder class will let me do more. My issue is my nova is setup and tuned in it has a ford nine inch with 6.00 gears and a few other things I cant do to the z. I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice or experience they would be willing to share since the cars are way different.

So in my continued searching I found a list of body stabilization posted by John C>

For a street driven S30, here's about as much as you can do to stiffen the chassis:

1. Seam Weld (every sheet metal seam overlap.)

2. Bad Dog Subframe Connectors

3. Weld-In Roll Bar.

4. Welded In Rear STB.

5. Triangulated Front STB.

6. Radiator Core Support Reinforcement.

7. Transverse Link Bracing Reinforcement.

8. RT Diff Mount.

9. Tubular Seat Mounts.

10. Box Upper Frame Horns to Firewall/Cowl.

11. Reinforce Pedal Box/Brake MC Mount.

12. Reinforce Front ARB Mount.

13. Reinforce Front Strut Tower to Frame Rail Junction.

And while this is for a street car I see a great deal of importance in it.

I really hope I got this thread in the right section. I hope to get lots of info compiled

problem is I think it will cover several areas. I apologize for any screw ups.

So in my continued searching I found a list of body stabilization posted by John C>

For a street driven S30, here's about as much as you can do to stiffen the chassis:

1. Seam Weld (every sheet metal seam overlap.)

2. Bad Dog Subframe Connectors

3. Weld-In Roll Bar.

4. Welded In Rear STB.

5. Triangulated Front STB.

6. Radiator Core Support Reinforcement.

7. Transverse Link Bracing Reinforcement.

8. RT Diff Mount.

9. Tubular Seat Mounts.

10. Box Upper Frame Horns to Firewall/Cowl.

11. Reinforce Pedal Box/Brake MC Mount.

12. Reinforce Front ARB Mount.

13. Reinforce Front Strut Tower to Frame Rail Junction.

And while this is for a street car I see a great deal of importance in it.

I really hope I got this thread in the right section. I hope to get lots of info compiled

problem is I think it will cover several areas. I apologize for any screw ups.

I can't really help ya much on the Z into a dirt car. I don't know how well that will work out. You can put a ford 9 inch under a z. Why not start with that? Make it light, wide 5 hubs and stuff?

It would be interesting to build one, you're best bet for gear selection would be to swap to a short nose R200 and CV's. You most likely have a set of rules that say you have to run OEM suspension for the car though. If you're feeling like doing something different, you can get aluminum spindles and hubs from a z32 and ream them holes out to accept the large HOWE ball joints and run a crown victoria lower control arm and a tubular upper with an late model coilover setup.

stock type suspension and where we are it is redneck racing. you'll see more diesel f350s and cowboy hats than anything the population of my county is 10 k. What gear ratio can I put in a short nose r200 and what is that out of?

stock type suspension and where we are it is redneck racing. you'll see more diesel f350s and cowboy hats than anything the population of my county is 10 k. What gear ratio can I put in a short nose r200 and what is that out of?

just about every RWD nissan from 89 and up, theres a very thorough page, listing all of the ratio's and what cars they come from. I'm guessing this is a 1/4 mile dirt track? I would think that a set of 4:50's would put you about redline with a 27" tall tire in the straits if thats the case.

I have been born and raised around oval track racing. Definitely red neck. Depends on the class but there are always the stock car (bomber and pure stocks mostly). They get in fights, try to drink in the pits and all that. Just not cool not happening. Not all of them, but quite a few. I am from the sprint car and midget crowd.

So I have gotten bored with my restore and want to make my 260 in to a dirt car. I have a '77 nova I race already but the six cylinder class will let me do more. My issue is my nova is setup and tuned in it has a ford nine inch with 6.00 gears and a few other things I cant do to the z. I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice or experience they would be willing to share since the cars are way different.

Just get it out there and do a couple of good alps and work from there, we finally dialed in my talon and it now turns like a RWD on the dirt and is pretty damn peppy for a junkyard class. This year this is what I am working on for a buddy, had to basically restore a 3 year old super late chassis, not fun.

DSC00172.jpg

Edited by fcdrifter13

I have been born and raised around oval track racing. Definitely red neck. Depends on the class but there are always the stock car (bomber and pure stocks mostly). They get in fights, try to drink in the pits and all that. Just not cool not happening. Not all of them, but quite a few. I am from the sprint car and midget crowd.

lol, the team I'm on, likes to drink, screw off and horse around after the last race. but we (the team) comes from street stocks, late models, dirt late models, modifieds, superlates and sprint cars. It's basically different owners, but the same crew.

So I have ran in to a hiccup the rules say single carb two barrel 500 cfm max. Can a slightly built straight six run on that worth a hoot. I can buy the four barrel manifold for the Datsun and use the two barrel adapter from the Nova but will the notor like the carb?

So I have ran in to a hiccup the rules say single carb two barrel 500 cfm max. Can a slightly built straight six run on that worth a hoot. I can buy the four barrel manifold for the Datsun and use the two barrel adapter from the Nova but will the notor like the carb?

a built L6 would be lucky if it ever needed a 500cfm 2bbl.

So that would not cause issues great I was going to buy a motor from Datsun parts llc so what is the dual su cfm?

You have to run a single carb though, SU's are dual single barrels. I remember 390cfm being the key number whenever someone did the 4 barrel swap, but you should confirm that.

So that would not cause issues great I was going to buy a motor from Datsun parts llc so what is the dual su cfm?

Don't bother with a rebuilt engine. These L6 engines are very well made from the factory and very few engine rebuilders do a good job with the Nissan L6. Most just make it worse. An untouched, well cared for 100K mile engine is better then most any rebuild.

I would just buy used engines off various message boards or junkyards. The L24s are dirt cheap and all your bolt-on stuff will transfer.

Focus on the cooling and oiling systems.

So Speedway is my bible, They have a Willwood tri reverse mount pedal kit with a 6:2-1 ratio and I like the idea of keeping the resivoures in the car and cleanish. I have read alot about the tilton setups and big brake kits but no info for otherwise stock brake system. I have started my project and am putting in a rollcage next weekend 1 1/2 .120 wall dom tubing would have went .095 but rules say I need to have 1 pound weight per cc of power.