HybridZ

IronMan's 1976 280z

Hey everyone,

Let me reintroduce myself.

I am in high school.

My first car was narrowed down to 2 choices: BMW E30 and Datsun 280z.

I was searching for about 5 months till I found her.

I would like to personally thank JSM for helping me with some very valuable advice when purchasing the car.

(Even though I didn't follow the advice 100% :unsure: )

Here are pictures of my baby. (These pictures are the base line)

(The pictures make the car look very reddish, but in real life it is more of a Dukes of Hazzard Orange in person)

DSCN0405.jpg

DSCN0406.jpg

DSCN0410.jpg

DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0407.jpg

DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0422.jpg

The total amount of rusted through areas is less than 1 sq foot.

It has retrofitted HID lights (VERY Bright at night)

Has a subbox

The interior is in remarkable condition

Dash has no cracks, only a small nick on the drivers side

Lots of little dings and dents on the body overall

Engine runs a little rich

First things to do are:

Create Service History/Modification Binder/Journal of 280z

Replace Suspension Bushings

Remove Bumper Shock.

Track down slow oil leak

Track down the running rich problem.

IF possible get a different exhaust (Sounds too rice in my opinion)

Change oil

Add relay to HID Lights

Patch the nail hole in the tires.

Learn how to drive a stick B)

While I was bored at school I created an overall plan of attack that I hope to follow:

• Stage 1

1. Initial Drivability Modification/ Maintenance

2. Repair Rust/ Paint color matched orange body panels

3. Rust Prevention/ Por-15 or alternative on chassis

4. Relocate Battery box to trunk, install kill switch

5. Replace Suspension bushings

6. LQ9/T56 Swap

• Stage 2

1. Reinforce Chassis

2. Exhaust System with Cutouts

3. Body Work/ Shaving Modifications

4. Spray entire car (Victory Red)

5. Powder coat permanent components

• Stage 3

1. General Lightning Retrofit with LED

2. Rewire with MOSFET electrical system

3. Reconnect A/C system with MOSFET system.

4. Install Carputer

5. Fiberglass Dashboard

6. Fiberglass Sub box

7. Install Racing Seats with harness

8. Reupholster interior

9. Keyless Entry/ Immobilizer

• Stage 4

1. Rear/Front 5-Lug and disc brake swap

2. Aftermarket Wheels

• Stage 5

1. Fuel Cell/Supporting Fuel System Upgrade

2. Nitrous

3. Roll Bar

4. Aftermarket Suspension Shock/Springs

5. Aftermarket alignment modifications

6. Tune Suspension

7. Powder coat Suspension

• Stage 6

1. Built LQ9

2. Built T56

3. Upgraded Diff

4. Turbo/Intercooler System

5. Tune

6. Suspension Tune

Endgame Plan

1. Clean Straight car

2. Smooth idling but rev monster

3. Exhaust is refined but exotic with cutouts capability

4. Vintage-Classy Look

5. Chevy Victory Red with Shaved Body

6. Carputer integrated with MOSFET system

7. Black leather interior with red stitching

8. Remote Operation/ Tracking via mobile phone/internet

9. Air conditioning with MOSFET and Carputer integration

10. Fiberglass Sub box

11. Power Windows/ Power Locks / Keyless Entry

12. Backup Camera/ Forward Infrared Camera

13. HID with low/high beams

14. Removable Steering Wheel

15. Performance Control Panel

16. Extreme Overdrive Gear

17. 2 Step Launch Control

18. Dynamat Covered Interior

I thought about this attack for about an hour.

It will take YEARS for me to complete.

If I could do everything in Stage 1 by the end of Senior Year I will be happy ( I am a junior)

I tried to design it in such a way that you only have to buy a part ONCE and not completely replace it later.

I doubt I will ever go beyond STAGE 5

Things will change around as opportunities come, and while I become a Z Guru.

Edited by Ironman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the bumper shock removal today:

Learned 4 things:

1. I HATE those rubber fuel lines/filler neck.

2.I need a ratcheting combination wrench.

3.WD-40 is amazing

4. Be OCD about where you keep the screws you just removed

Overall removing the tank it was pretty easy.

The hardest parts were removing those damn rubber hoses.

Cleaned up the tank a little,

Even though no one else will notice, I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when I think about it.

Pics Before and After

DSC00912.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00914.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

Edited by Ironman

Yes get the screw out of the tire first! Welcome, it is a very nice car. 10cjennings bought my 73 240z. He is in Coral Cables, he is 17 as well. There is a Z meet I thought this weekend down that way.

Welcome. Jeff is a great guy he helped me with a couple decisions also. I currently have a 75 280z that I'm in the process of finishing up. I'm 16 nice to see another florida person especially someone around my age. Here is my Z.

2eygeuf.jpg

This is my fav pic for some odd reason.

xeiz35.jpg

Looks like a really good starter Z and I love how you set up your plans, I'm 17 and I'm hoping to have my car on the road this summer nothing special not even going turbo I will probably go with something special but thats a secret. :D Your going to get all the chicks with that car haha good luck.

It is good to see a young crowd so involved in these cars. I was 18 when I bought my first 1970 240Z.

I still remember when my dad and I looked at the original Z I wanted. He steered me away from it though. It had a bad front end, but it was totally mint otherwise. I wish I had bought that one.

Nice starter.  Plan ahead and stay true to your goals and it will work.

JSM, so true these cars are generally almost 30 years older than this young generation.  When I was 18, a 30 year old car would have been....a '56.  No Z's to choose from in '56   :(

Edited by cygnusx1

Welcome. Jeff is a great guy he helped me with a couple decisions also. I currently have a 75 280z that I'm in the process of finishing up. I'm 16 nice to see another florida person especially someone around my age. Here is my Z.

Sweet, I like that picture too.

It has a ignored beater look to the average observer but if a Z enthusiast looks at it they can recognized it's potential

Looks like a really good starter Z and I love how you set up your plans, I'm 17 and I'm hoping to have my car on the road this summer nothing special not even going turbo I will probably go with something special but thats a secret. :D Your going to get all the chicks with that car haha good luck.

Sounds like you've got a nice car to start with, and a good game plan. I just turned 20 BTW, really cool to see more people around my age into Z cars.

Thanks for the comments.

I see that there is growing trend for younger Z enthusiasts.

I also learned some VERY valuable advice from a Z owner nearby.

I went to his house to look at his $800 "Parts car".

He told me if I wanted to drive a Z while I am still attending high school, then look for a higher costing Z.

It would cost more initially, but in the long run it will cost less because of the lack of rust or large need for a paint job.

I am very glad that I followed his advice.

I can drive the car, while still modifying it;

instead of leaving it on jack stands for a year trying to "restore" it

and still not having an immediate first car to drive,

I also learned some VERY valuable advice from a Z owner nearby.

I went to his house to look at his $800 "Parts car".

He told me if I wanted to drive a Z while I am still attending high school, then look for a higher costing Z.

It would cost more initially, but in the long run it will cost less because of the lack of rust or large need for a paint job.

I am very glad that I followed his advice.

I can drive the car, while still modifying it;

instead of leaving it on jack stands for a year trying to "restore" it

and still not having an immediate first car to drive,

I wish I had thought of that three years ago when I bought my first Z, that is very true I bought mine for $350 and it was a Missouri car so it was full of rust. Just recently I bought a second one for $350 and its pretty rust free and all it needs is an engine so now for 700 I have two cars to make one good one. Three years and I still haven't driven a Z on a road but hopefully soon. Your lucky to have experienced Z guys to talk to that live near by, I never had that convenience.

I wish I had thought of that three years ago when I bought my first Z, that is very true I bought mine for $350 and it was a Missouri car so it was full of rust. Just recently I bought a second one for $350 and its pretty rust free and all it needs is an engine so now for 700 I have two cars to make one good one. Three years and I still haven't driven a Z on a road but hopefully soon. Your lucky to have experienced Z guys to talk to that live near by, I never had that convenience.

Agreed. Although my first Z was actually running, it needed work, and I tore it apart. What a stupid move. Then I bought a 240z to have something to drive... scrapped that, bought another last June, this one actually drivable, but still way rusty. I'm gonna play with it for a bit, but as soon as I can afford to, I'm buying a nice rust free Z.

Sweet, I like that picture too.

It has a ignored beater look to the average observer but if a Z enthusiast looks at it they can recognized it's potential

Yea exactly. I bought it for $1800 which was a smokin deal because I got a 240z the current 280z and enough parts to have a running driving Z. Do you think you will be able to make it to that car meet in Miami?

Edited by turboHLS30

Yea exactly. I bought it for $1800 which was a smokin deal because I got a 240z the current 280z and enough parts to have a running driving Z. Do you think you will be able to make it to that car meet in Miami?

I doubt it, since I am working when it starts, and I don't even have registration,tag or insurance for the car yet.

EDIT: Updated progress Check Post #2

Edited by Ironman

Yea I didn't go I had to work on my 72 Suburban. The brake lights weren't working so I had to go through the whole truck to find a bad ground. This truck could be a short bus if you painted it yellow, that's how big it is. So it sucked and I'm still not done. If you need anything let me know. I might be buying a 76 280z parts var and then parting it out.

Yea I didn't go I had to work on my 72 Suburban. The brake lights weren't working so I had to go through the whole truck to find a bad ground. This truck could be a short bus if you painted it yellow, that's how big it is. So it sucked and I'm still not done. If you need anything let me know. I might be buying a 76 280z parts var and then parting it out.

Just googled it,

Man I thought the 2010 Suburbans were big. :o

(If I need any parts then I will let you know, Daytona isn't too far)

For the lights did you try running another ground to the lights to isolate the problem?

Check the fuses, brake light switch, and for water damage from failed gasket, and I forgot the bulb)

Good luck