HybridZ

removing rear bumper

Guest 400 ci 280z

Guest 400 ci 280z

i want to remove the front and rear bumper on my 280. mostly because i like it with out the bumpers and mine look like crap any way. what i needed to ask is if i remove them do i need to add any reinforcement or not? i mean to they do much at more than 5 mph or so? also who makes a cage for the 280? like an 8 point. thanks guys for any help.

Guest 400 ci 280z

i really want the look without the bumper but do you think you could just move the bumper post or whatever back a little. then make a new bumper to match the curve of the back when it doesnt have the bumper on it. sorry if you dont understand this i am about to fall asleep.

I understand your plight. I very much wanted to do the same with my old '75. All the reinforcing on the back is tied together with the subframe and the rear valance. A harder impact will transfer throughout the framing, but the smaller will be absorbed by the bumper. Move a smaller, less protective bumper closer to the car, and you may as well just eliminate it completely, as any impact (even small) may push it into the rear sheetmetal (tail lights, quarter edges, etc). Another option would be to find the early Z bumpers and install them instead (would take some body work and some fabrication). They look a lot less intrusive, and will let you know if you back into anything before hurting it real bad. I ended up removing the bumpers completely.

To remove the back bumper isn't that hard. First item you need to do is remove the big bumper from the shocks mounts. After that you have to jack the rearend up and get under it. One side of the car mounts can be removed by reaching above the muffler and removing three bolts holding the shock mount to the chassis. The shock mount then can be removed. The other side is a little bit harder. You must first drop the gas tank just enough for you to get your hand above it. Depending on hand size it may be just a small bit or a large amount. You must reach above the tank and remove the three bolts holding the mount on and remove the shock mount. I kept the jack under the tank and loosened the securing strap bolts just enough to get my hand up there. It isn't that easy if you don't give your self enough room to work in. But it can be done. After you get it out, make sure you connect every thing back up and jack the tank back into position (make sure it isn't leaking). It does cleanup the looks a lot. Just pray you don't get hit. Good luck, Rich. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest 400 ci 280z

i already have the bumper removed. that was not a problem. i was wondering if i could put a smaller bumper or just remove it all together. thanks for how to remove it though.

I think the rear of the 1st gen Z looks best without a bumper. But I wanted to have one to keep the police from having another reason to pull me over.

I took a stock 240Z rear bumper center section, cut 3/4" of depth out of it and added tapered end caps and had it smoothed and painted body color. (I need to post a pict I guess). I made heavy duty mounts to the body for it, and they are tied together with a section of 1" schedule 40 black pipe - very sturdy. Now the stock (modified) bumper is a bumper cover. It's only something like 16 gage steel anyway!

pete would we be able to get some pictures of ur rear end set-up, this topic comes up alot with me always saying that this weekend i'm doing the body mods, but somethign always comes up.. but i am still scared of not having a rear bumper and someone hitting me arse and damaging the frame, the panels can be replaced, by there insurance.

would the insurance company refuse to pay because the bumper is off, being not stock form,and causing more damage, i wouldnt think.. but stingy insurance companys these days...

i am doing the bumperettes soooon, and the rear bumper sooon, and paint sooon.. haha everything is sooon..

Guest zthang43

Ok, so the z's look great without bumpers. More important to me though, is the weight. Anybody know how much both front and rear bumpers, complete with shock mounts, weighs?

Removing all this will reduce the PMI considerably, I would think. Have any of you experienced the difference between bumpers and no bumpers for autocrossing? How much does it help?

I've removed the bumpers, shock mounts, and the AC system from my '78. I am running the 6 spoke factory ZX alloy wheels (light!). I weigh 160, and my Z+me weighed 2780lb with 1/2 tank of gas at the strip. Can't say specifically what the bumpers weigh (I reckon both weigh close to 120lbs) - hope this helps.

I'll try to get some pics posted of my rear bumper install tonight.

I was thinking about the polar moment of inertia influence when I made the stiffening member that goes behind my stock bumper, but decided what the heck, I'd rather save the rear panel (NLA from Nissan) if someone taps the car in a parking lot or something. That stock bumper is so thin it's ridiculous.