HybridZ

removing tar insulation

Guest 400 ci 280z

I'm not sure but I was going to try using one of those cheap sandblasters from harbor freight. If you have interior stripped,may work. Then vacume it up after. But I haven't tried it. Just a thought.

Len

That stuff just laughs at sandblasters--tried both aluminum oxide and ground glass--best bet is just use paint scrapers/utty knives/screwdrivers/explosives/etc...

I found that in many areas, once I got going large sections would come up easily--just had to work hard in some areas

Freeze the tar and then use a wide chisel at an angle on the top and a hefty hammer. Large chunks will pop off leaving, as always small amounts to work on. How to freeze it? Up north park it outside for a week, ice sort of works, but is messy, Dry ice really works, but requires care, thick leather gloves, and a dry ice disposal plan other than tossing it into the garbage or flushing it down a toilet. Do not dispose of it by placing small amounts in 2 litre plastic coke bottle, adding 1 cup of H20, and screwing down the cap. This is irresponsible and creates extreme pressure that will within a minute or two rupture the plastic bottle and generally excite the neighbors, your dogs, and the local constabulary.

I used the dry ice method mentioned above. Layer it on the floor pan for a few minutes then bash away with a rubber mallet. The asphalt stuff all broke off nice and clean like peanut brittle. I ended up throwing the leftover dry ice and and asphalt into the trash. Don't know what the concern is about that method of disposal.

quote:

Originally posted by johnc:

... Don't know what the concern is about that method of disposal...

It's great fun to put it into containers like soda bottles partially filled with water where it will explode (oh, did I say that?) I guess flushing it down a toilet can be a bad thing if it ends up in a septic tank or something--wouldn't want to 'burp' that puppy, no way no how. ugg.gif

Davy

Guest ShelbyZ

The best luck I had getting the stuff out of my 69 240 was waiting until it was about 10 degrees out or colder. I got the chisels out and went to work.

I tried it when it was warm out and it seemed as though I was just moving it around. When it was cold it did sometimes come off in small sheets. Especially on the tranny tunnel. I saw why the floor rust on these cars. They put the dynamat on and then painted the car. I finally got it all off, but I really detest that stuff. Needless to say I didn't put it back in the car!

Good Luck!

Keep ZZZZZZZin

ShelbyZ

what I tried was to use a blowtorch to get a thick puttyknife hot and it seemed to cut through pretty good, until the knife got cool. Don't know of any tool that has a hot blade but if there is it should work. I think that there is not just one way to get it all off, it will take a combination of ways to get it off one car.

DP

Guest 400 ci 280z

i have been useing the hammer and chisel method and it has been working pretty good. it came off i sheets on the trans tunnel, and on ther floor it came off in little chunks. so far i am about half the way done with the passenger side and have not found any rust yet but i am sure i will. thanks guys for your tips. b_hand.gif

Guest 400 ci 280z

it took me about an hour and a half to do the passenger side and clean all that crap up. there is still a little caulking left but a little more scraping should take care of it. i am going to start on the drivers side tommorrow.

I used a propane torch and a scraper. I kept the heat on the undercoating just in front of the knife and it came off like a knife through butter. Now my Z was completely disassembled and on a rotissery so there was no risk of fire due to gas fumes, so keep that in mind if you go this way.