HybridZ

Is the fan that blows air onto the injectors necessary?

Steveoen

I have a 78 280z with a 81 N/A swap and the fan that blows air onto the fuel injectors is just sucking hot air anyway also possibly power/weight. I was wondering if i am correct and should take it off or even though it is blowing hot air if thats still better than nothing

Edited by Steveoen

It's an Injector cooler for when you shut the car off and let it sit. I'm currently not running one, and really have no ill effects. Sometimes, on really really hot days when I shut my car off after its at operating temp and then go to start it again 5 min later, maybe I might get some hiccup, but it will still start.

That hiccup probably isn't even related to the "hot" gas in the fuel rail and more related to the crud in the fuel system that is blocking my old ass fuel pump.

It's an Injector cooler for when you shut the car off and let it sit. I'm currently not running one, and really have no ill effects. Sometimes, on really really hot days when I shut my car off after its at operating temp and then go to start it again 5 min later, maybe I might get some hiccup, but it will still start.

That hiccup probably isn't even related to the "hot" gas in the fuel rail and more related to the crud in the fuel system that is blocking my old ass fuel pump.

okay i mightremove it then it jsut seems like a waste were it bolts into the valve cover do i have to put that bolt back in? cause it seems like it would affect it somehow

You don't have your location enabled, that would give a better answer, Canadian artic circle would be different from mexican desert...

people have discussed it on Hybridz before, consenus seems to be that if you're in a effing hot location such as Texas or Hell, they're usefull, but anywhere with a normal climate it's fine to haul it off. it's a matter of how hot the underbonnet temps get, if the car can cool in the ambient temps, everything is fine, if it's too hot and/or sunny where you are and the car can't loose the heat, heat soaking of the fuel rail may occur. unusual, but it does sometimes happen.

so, are you somewhere hot or up in the chilly mountains?

There's a reason nissan put a scoop on the turbo ZX from 1981 to 1985....and it's not there to get air in.

It's there to let air out.

The hole is there to allow convection to send hot air out the top which draws cool air in from below...the same cool air that is drawn in by the inlet of the cooling fan.

Nissan didn't need them on the 1986 and later turbos because they went to dual feed injectors that constantly returned fuel through the injector body which kept them cool.

If you have a vg30et or L28et in a car that does not feature a hole in the hood, you will experience vapor lock issues much like I experienced in my Infiniti M30 with a L28et swap.

If I went into a store for 10 minutes and came back out, the car would be unbelievably difficult to start and exhibit very rough running until I got it out into moving traffic.

After I added the cooling fan, I get no vapor lock issues after a hot soak.

Just to further muddy up the topic, I had an 83 turbo and an 85 turbo, both of which had the injector cooling fan removed. I never once had a hot start issue. Both cars were daily drivers. I live in Houston, which is almost as hot as Hell in the summer :)

if you're in a effing hot location such as Texas or Hell,

There's a difference? :-)

FWIW my 73/L28ET occasionally has hot re-start issues here in warm North Carolina without the fan. I'm planning on putting mine on ASAP.

Well i live in So. Cal about 45 min outside of L.A. (Santa Clarita by magic mountain) and i would have those hot start problems anyway with it installed but i just used header wrap to wrap my fuel rail and that solved alot of the problems now it barely happens only when i have been driving awhile and the engine is scorching

There's a difference? :-)

FWIW my 73/L28ET occasionally has hot re-start issues here in warm North Carolina without the fan. I'm planning on putting mine on ASAP.

I've never heard about hell having hurricanes or mosquitoes so technically yeah there's some differences ;)

Just to further muddy up the topic, I had an 83 turbo and an 85 turbo, both of which had the injector cooling fan removed. I never once had a hot start issue. Both cars were daily drivers. I live in Houston, which is almost as hot as Hell in the summer :)

Both cars mentioned also had the hole in the hood to allow hot air to escape the engine compartment which keeps underhood temperatures drastically cooler in the case of a hot soak.....though nissan felt the need to go a step further since the repeat Z car customers have always lived with vapor lock going back to the days of asbestos covers over the fuel lines of the 260z.

Nissans reasons showed up in the new car literature at the time of manufacture both for the fans and the dual feed injectors negating the need for the fan.

I've had the ZX turbo setups (both V6 and L6) on cars that don't have a vented hood and the vapor lock issue is bad enough to prevent starting at times.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

My "mystery fan blower thing" was a useless non-working piece of junk ever since I first bought the car in Temecula CA. I had no idea what it was at the time. I ran my Z through the hot SoCal summer and then drove it home to CT before I went overseas, taking the southern route through the desert and the deep south. Never had a problem with vapor lock. Ever.