HybridZ

Guess the object. Please identify or ufo?

yetterben

While i was removing pistons from a donor turbo motor i found this little bugger inside the skirt area near the pin. WTF is it UFO something from the motor. Does not look like anything related to a L series.

Two bearings are chewed pretty bad. Crazy thing is this motor was running. Blown HG but it ran and did not knock. Pistons appear to be good as these are the ones i am sliding into my block later tonight. Ideas on this strange bugger. Appears to be brass. The rest appears to have made its way threw two rod bearings at least.

P1030351.jpg

P1030352.jpg

P1030353.jpg

P1030354.jpg

Could be but man it finding its way threw the intake threw a valve and past the piston into the sump?????? thats alot of what if's. I say that cause there is not internal damage that i can see out side of the bearing shells.

Wanted to see if someone recognized it or if it was just fodder dropped down the oil fill.

I like Jacob's answer. Could it have made it's way through the oil return? It's a pretty big passage.

Turbo-2-cutout.jpg

I *think* the bearing could break and fall through the return. I have never taken apart a T3 though.

Hello, T3 bearing:

img-158-0-large.jpg

Edited by flatblack280

Badda Bing thats it. It must have had to fall threw the return then. No other logical reason to see it under the skirt up buy the pin. Crazy.

Judging buy this people really need to check there stock turbo's to make sure this does not happen. Wiped out 3 shells.

Edited by yetterben

"No other logical reason to see it under the skirt up buy the pin."

Foaming oil lets the lightweight bearing float, where it's hit by the spinning crankshaft and flung up high where it eventually lodges...

My vote was going to turbo bearing as well, then the nice photos were posted and cemented the source. Now you know how it got up there.