HybridZ

Old man and the GT-R

cygnusx1

Went to Walmart this morning and I see this black GT-R lumbering through the lot. It parks a few cars over from our minivan so I go over and this 80 year old man gets out in a tatterd sweat outfit. The car is black, beat to ****. The rims are all curb rashed. Large dents in the fenders, scratches everywhere. I talk to him and he tells me how he went to look at an Altima but he liked this one better so he bought it. He said he was very surprised at how much pep it had. OMFG was I burning up inside. It was a 2010 model too!!!! 

Edited by cygnusx1

What's the problem? He bought the car he wanted. I'd select it over an Altima as well.

I would have sure as hell picked an R32 over an 1989 Maxima if I'd had the choice at the time.

What's your problem? So he beats on the car. So what? It's his, he drives it in New York city what do you expect for a winter car? AWD makes for good driving in the winter conditions, just like a WRX---when was the last time a city car DIDN'T get dings and dents in NYC??? It's a freakin' car, get over it. Deification of the GT-R is something I never understood.

"After all, it's just a Datsun"

The GT-R guys hate that line, but it's because of the root of truth inherent in the statement.

<EDIT> If this isn't the Hoboken-centric Hudson Valley Wal Mart, and it's the one upstate in the Catskills, substitute 'Upstate NY' and drop all that stuff about the city as driving upstate is just as brutal all winter...

Edited by Tony D

LOL.  I hate to see a car designed to hit gaurdrails sideways, take air on swales, supposed to be covered with molten tire, but only take damage from a Walmart parking lot instead.  It's nowhere near NYC I assure you.  This guy was a coot farmer and I deeply admire his taste in vehicles, and appetite for bargains!    

Edited by cygnusx1

Then you would probably have an issue with my using the S30 to pull fenceposts last weekend, huh?

No joke, they got chain hooks on em, couple wraps and pop it in reverse, and they pull right out. Cheaper than renting a Kubota and using a bucket to rip them up.

Yes, if the chain isn't long enough, the metal posts will scratch the hood. When you see the scratches, now you know what caused them JohnC, so don't ask! :D

Nah, I know how versatile the S30 is.  If you ever get a stubborn post, try the GT-R.  Might work better.

The original drip rails on my silver Z were all twisted to hell because I used this thing as a daily driver here in the NE for many years back in school days.  Had a home built roof rack that would carry FOUR sailboards, masts, a large quiver of sails and booms, up and down the east coat looking for wind and seawater in the same place at the same time.  It has driven through hurricane driven winds, on the beach in over a foot of seawater a few times.  I has served as a sleep-in camper (park with the nose up a dune so you get the proper recline angle to get comfortable) on the beach.  It has carried me to northern vermont in the winter for ski trips to Sugarbush and Mad river....it has been through my BMX days, my mountain bike days....it has lived in the bronx....it has never pulled out a fencepost...on purpose. 

Edited by cygnusx1

The weight of the Pig GTR coupled with it's AWD Traction would have avoided the spinning of the wheels on some of them. Had to get a running jerk going, and then the post FLIES up a bit...

Of course pulling the cars with the same car (9 moved already) was good, till the 2+2 locked up a drum...I smelled clutch a bit and the wheels were spinning in earnest till we decided to jerk it backwards a couple of feet to unjam the shoe. Then we decided it would be best to simply put a tire between the two cars and use the 'push car' method to push it into the final storage spot instead of manually pushing it there...

You should see how much my kid enjoys running around on the old bedsprings behind the 260 when we go weed the back yard with it! :D Who needs to go to the beach when you got a 260, some rope, a couple of matresses that have the soft stuff burned off, and a couple of acres to clear of sage and other low-growth weeds! Beats renting a Kubota with a Disc on it to till them under again...

Yes, if the chain isn't long enough, the metal posts will scratch the hood. When you see the scratches, now you know what caused them JohnC, so don't ask! :D

I'm takin' pictures and posting them. "Another Homer moment - Doh!"

It can only be classified as a "Homer Moment" if it was

1) Unintended

2) Caused Grief due to the Damage Inflicted

I could have cared less, I needed to pull fenceposts, I used the tools at hand (see Avtar)...

I will be the old guy in the WalMart parking lot with the dented GT-R in coming years. It's a car, use it!

If I'm going to Deify something, I think a pint of Guinness would suffice.

Or perhaps a vole...

I mean, come on...I'm not in a Cargo Cult indoctrination forum here, am I? "It floated ashore, and gave us transport, Sim ba Mashuka!" I know it's not real Koopa-Kai, but I never figured out how headhunters learned such good pidgin english or why Gilligan didn't shoot back 'Why are you asking me in english and not Koopa-Kaiian?' I mean, Gilligan was a gawd. Dobie Gillis. That I can see. Or a vole...

But a car? C'mon!

Edited by Tony D

This old guy reminds me of my uncle. He was old, couldn't walk well, had very poor sight, and was a terrible driver who frequently ran into things with his car. But he loved that Pontiac. It was long and lean with a big V8 and could really get down the road. Before it all ended for him, he had bumped into most everything in the county, but he loved to drive that Pontiac. God rest his sole!

I was out in my driveway working on my brothers Scirroco many, many years ago in the bronx.  The neighborhood was built on bars.  Our driveway was at the end of an avenue that terminated with a concrete wall, poured when the major Deegan expressway was dug.  I heard a loud crash of metal and glass, followed by a skid.  I thought it was weird that first the crash then the skid.  I was accustomed to seeing and hearing major accidents in front of our apartment.  All of us would run to the overpass to witness the carnage on the expressway.  We saw some great ones.  This one was different.  It was not on the expressway.  It was right on my street.  I looked over the hedge and saw an old lincoln with it's nose smashed dead square against the concrete wall at the end of the street, looking like a bulldog.  The drivers door was open and a WASTED 80 year old man was trying to walk but couldn't.  I thought maybe he was injured, but I realized quickly that he was feeling NO pain.  He was drooling drunk at 10am.  I landed him a nice seat on the curb.  The skidmarks on the street were backwards.  Granpa hit the brakes AFTER he hit the wall and the car skidded on rebound!  LOL.  Now that's how you enjoy your car when you get old in the bronx in a 'hood built on bars.    ;)

Edited by cygnusx1