HybridZ

ZCC Bumper Conversion Bracket Issue

ransomnotes

73 240 bumpers on my 78 with the ZCC conversion brackets. I have the brackets pushed back as far as they will go, and the bumper still sticks out too far. Not sure if this has to do with the brackets, or because the bumpers are from a 73. I would be happy with about an inch further back. I think that's all I can get away with. Completely flush would be ideal. Anyone else have this problem?

img00268201006131737.jpg

img00267201006131737.jpg

You can see the bracket here won't go back any further.

img00266201006131737.jpg

I also don't like this gap. Thinking about cutting that little bracket off, and just running a bolt all the way through.

img00265201006131736.jpg

Keep in mind I cannot weld, but I have a friend of a friend who might be able to help me out.

Not sure what you mean Two80z4me.

You can see in this pic the bracket allows plenty of adjustment here.

img00270201006131908.jpg

But in my third pic you can see where the problem is. There's no more room for it to be pushed back. I could grind or cut down the bracket in that spot, but that would make it a heck of a lot weaker. And even then, I wouldn't be able to push it back as far as I'd like. :(

The brackets that are on the inside of the 73' bumpers are located differently from a series one bumper, which extends them away from the body as you have discovered. The over all side length of the earlier series 1 bumper is shorter and pulls in closer to the body. I have one of each and have put them side by side for a comparison.

Here in the white is where it's hitting. I'd rather mod the bracket, or have new ones made than cut into the car.

img00266201006131737edi.jpg

I have about right at an inch that I could go back, but the conversion brackets won't allow. I had to hammer and bend this bracket back toward the front of the car to get it to fit in the existing hole. That's another reason why I'm thinking about deleting that bracket, and running my bolt through the bumper hole. Is that how most people bolt the sides up?

img00277201006132219.jpg

The brackets that are on the inside of the 73' bumpers are located differently from a series one bumper, which extends them away from the body as you have discovered. The over all side length of the earlier series 1 bumper is shorter and pulls in closer to the body. I have one of each and have put them side by side for a comparison.

Damn, that's what I thought. Same with the 73 rear bumper?

Well I guess I'll be paying someone to modify these brackets then. That, or have some made that bolt to the old bumper shock location. I've done some mock-ups, and I think I could make some just by cutting and bending some steel. My fabrication abilities are fairly modest.

Well I guess I'll be paying someone to modify these brackets then. That, or have some made that bolt to the old bumper shock location. I've done some mock-ups, and I think I could make some just by cutting and bending some steel. My fabrication abilities are fairly modest.

Hey guyz.. This thread was pointed out to me, and I thought I better jump in.

Ransomnotes:

Yes.. the 73 bumper is a different monster, and most who put the bumper on a 280z usually are using the FRP ones, which are whats available for the most part. Those are modeled after the series one.

Because your using the 73 bumpers, it will require you to trim back the lip of the area you have highlighted in "white" under the turn signal light. It doesn't mean you have to go crazy and chop the whole bracke section out!!.......This is very easily done, either by cutting the small slot out, or by making a single cut with a hacksaw to the inside edge, then bend the tab downward and away from the bracket. I've done this an several cars to include my own, and your not hurting any vital support area of the car......... I wouldn't cut into the bumper bracket, as it will weaken it.

The brackets are made to make custom installation as easy as possible, and with a good supportive design. But as with all custom work, sometimes little tweeks are require depending on the car, bumpers used, etc.

Edited by azcarbum

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-280z-260z-240z-Aluminum-Front-Bumper-Brackets-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f30a613cQQitemZ300430287164QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I in no way mean to undermine your sales, azcarbum by posting this link.

I am curious though, if this is the "FRP" bracket you referred to, for those of us changing to '73 bumpers. I think I actually ended up buying a '73 which was advertised as a '72.

THose are a different route to go, but the differeces are ZCC brackets bolt up in existing bolt locations, and allow for a large array of adjustment.

Now I'm not sure i understand your post.. are you asking me a question?

The brackets are a universal part, just made to "simplify" the installation of the early bumpers on the 280z with as little effort as possible. These can be used with the series 1 bumpers, series 2 bumpers, and I've even had a few customers use the 260z bumpers. Now as we've seen here, some cars will need a bit of customizing, as all our cars are not the same, and depending on what bumpers you use.

Edited by azcarbum

Disregard my last post. Just a bit of a brain fart. I read the below quote, and thought "FRP" was some company that also produced bumper brackets, hence the link. Of course you were referring to the bumpers themselves.

I do quite prefer your brackets to those ebay ones anyway. Thanks for the reply though!

Yes.. the 73 bumper is a different monster, and most who put the bumper on a 280z usually are using the FRP ones, which are whats available for the most part. Those are modeled after the series one.

Ok thanks azcarbum! I might do what you suggested, and cut a bit of that area. Or, go a different route.

I still have the original 73 bumper brackets, and last night I cut them so they will fit where the old bumper shocks used to mount. I just have to trim a bit more metal off, and drill new mounting holes in the 73 brackets. A friend of mine is going to help me with it tomorrow. If everything lines up right, it should be a much stronger alternative to your brackets, and still give me the ability to adjust for the best fit. I'll still keep your brackets though, just in case I go with a carbon fiber bumper on down the road.

Thanks again!