HybridZ

Installing A/C in an Early S30

Xnke

Ok, I am going to chronicle my experiences installing an A/C unit pieced together from junkyard parts, and a Vintage Air evaporator unit. You won't save a TON of money, but it IS less expensive than buying the whole system outright, and you can get BETTER performance.

My Z is a '72 S30, so it has the least amount of room under the dash and infront of the radiator to mount parts.

First up, the Condenser Coil. I used one from a Mazda 626:

DSCN2188.jpg

The aluminum lines need to be re-bent, and this is a real job. Use a GOOD tubing bender, go gently and easily, and be careful. Aluminum tube likes to collapse, and you DON'T want to put any stress on the brazed joins where the tubing meets the end-tanks of the core.

To mount the condenser, it has rubber feet on the bottom of the tanks, like newer style radiators. You will need to drill two 5/8" holes in the lower core support, to let the rubber feet sit down in. I am probably going to end up notching my front core support to set my condenser down a little lower, but this is not required on the Later S30's with the lowered core support.

DSCN2206.jpg

a few aluminum brackets later for the top mounts, and waaaa-laaa! it's in.

DSCN2209.jpg

See how nice the high side line of the condenser matches up with the compressor location?

DSCN2207.jpg

Compressor: I used a new SD508 clone, mounted to a ZX compressor bracket. The idler pully needs to be moved rearward 1/8" for use with the stock 2-row L24 damper, and the idler pully bracket has a steel boss on it that needs to be removed to fit the compressor in the correct location. Both of these modifications involve cutting and welding the steel idler pully bracket. No need to drill/grind/weld the aluminum casting. A few bits of 5/16" all-thread and a short piece of 3/4" angle steel, with thick washers welded into place, are next up and are also, pretty simple. Or you could just use the original ZX air conditioning compressor.

DSCN2192.jpg

Next up on the list of parts is to buy the evaporator unit, and get it installed in the car.

Ok, I am going to chronicle my experiences installing an A/C unit pieced together from junkyard parts, and a Vintage Air evaporator unit. You won't save a TON of money, but it IS less expensive than buying the whole system outright, and you can get BETTER performance.

My Z is a '72 S30, so it has the least amount of room under the dash and infront of the radiator to mount parts.

First up, the Condenser Coil. I used one from a Mazda 626:

DSCN2188.jpg

The aluminum lines need to be re-bent, and this is a real job. Use a GOOD tubing bender, go gently and easily, and be careful. Aluminum tube likes to collapse, and you DON'T want to put any stress on the brazed joins where the tubing meets the end-tanks of the core.

To mount the condenser, it has rubber feet on the bottom of the tanks, like newer style radiators. You will need to drill two 5/8" holes in the lower core support, to let the rubber feet sit down in. I am probably going to end up notching my front core support to set my condenser down a little lower, but this is not required on the Later S30's with the lowered core support.

DSCN2206.jpg

a few aluminum brackets later for the top mounts, and waaaa-laaa! it's in.

DSCN2209.jpg

See how nice the high side line of the condenser matches up with the compressor location?

DSCN2207.jpg

Compressor: I used a new SD508 clone, mounted to a ZX compressor bracket. The idler pully needs to be moved rearward 1/8" for use with the stock 2-row L24 damper, and the idler pully bracket has a steel boss on it that needs to be removed to fit the compressor in the correct location. Both of these modifications involve cutting and welding the steel idler pully bracket. No need to drill/grind/weld the aluminum casting. A few bits of 5/16" all-thread and a short piece of 3/4" angle steel, with thick washers welded into place, are next up and are also, pretty simple. Or you could just use the original ZX air conditioning compressor.

DSCN2192.jpg

Next up on the list of parts is to buy the evaporator unit, and get it installed in the car.

I wonder why you used the Mazda condenser, when the condenser from a 280 (and perhaps the 280zx) is a straight on bolt in. The high and low pressure lines line up with the compressor located on the driver's side and the unit bolts on to the front using the same bolts that mount the radiator. Unlike most add on a/c for the early s30s the 280 unit is full size.

I have photos of the unit on my series 1: look at my album on this forum under zgeezer.

I am looking forward to seeing how you mount the Vintage a/c. That is on my long list of things to do.

By the way your work is nice.

G

The Mazda condenser is a MUCH MUCH MUCH more efficient design than the 280Z condenser. It is a parallel flow condenser, built similar to an intercooler. It is also actually a little bigger than the 280Z condenser, which is what is called a tube-and-fin serpentine condenser.

I had both condensers available to me, and the Mazda unit is not only newer, more efficient, less restrictive to the air passing through it, and bigger, but it's also about 3lbs lighter, to boot.

PS...PLEASE don't quote big posts complete with photos...

Edited by Xnke

What's 'inefficient' about the aftermarket condenser or the 280Z or 280ZX condenser?

Most issues with aftermarket S30 air are due to air leaks bypassing the evaporator, not system component sizing. Actually almost all the components are grossly oversized in the old S30 systems.

Yes, even with R134 in there.

The condensers that are commonly fitted to the S30's are effective, yes, but not even close to the level of the newer designs available. Would you run a turbocharger intercooler designed like the S30 condenser? No, of course not, because there are more effective designs available. The condenser in an A/C system is the same thing, a charge cooler located after a compressor. As I said, the Mazda condenser I chose to use is more effective, has a greater capacity, and I was able to fit it in space available. Not to mention it is lighter weight, and offers less restriction to airflow than the old tube-and-fin type.

Also, the S30 is not the most ideal situation for climate control...lots of window area, and little to no insulation, except what you install after you pull out all the old thin rotted stuff and replace it.

Another issue for me is the flow through the core...I will eventually have a turbocharged engine with intercooler infront of this, and then the radiator is behind this. They will all be ducted together, with a fan shroud, but that is a LOT of flow restriction possible!

This is why I chose this core over the old style core.

'Xnke'

The condensers that are commonly fitted to the S30's are effective, yes, but not even close to the level of the newer designs available. Would you run a turbocharger intercooler designed like the S30 condenser?

This isn't an intercooler is it?

No, of course not, because there are more effective designs available. The condenser in an A/C system is the same thing, a charge cooler located after a compressor.

And if the current item does the job, what do you expect to gain from 'more efficient' units? Overcooling? Unless you have seen evidence of the prior system not making capacity, 'upgrading' is a theoretical crapshoot based more in 'well lets do it anyway just because' than logical thought or engineering.

As I said, the Mazda condenser I chose to use is more effective, has a greater capacity, and I was able to fit it in space available. Not to mention it is lighter weight, and offers less restriction to airflow than the old tube-and-fin type.

There, a scintilla of some cogent thought arises: possibly lighter weight (whatever that difference makes) and possibly less restriction to airflow. Marginal reasons to upgrade, but possibly worth it. Possibly. If the original wasn't performing. The original performs---that you don't have one makes this an acceptable choice in your application, but don't get people thinking there is anything wrong with the original components. They are more than up to the task at hand. As I originally stated, the problems with the Aftermarket systems generally stem from improper installation and air leaks than undersized components, they are grossly oversized matter of fact! Going in the opposite vein---would you install a GTR 500HP capable Intercooler on your stock ZXT? Well, sadly to say with this 'more efficient thinking' vein...it's possible you would---and reap no advantage from it. Planning on driving in mudcaked ralleyes with the A/C on? Then I guess that may pay off for you!

Also, the S30 is not the most ideal situation for climate control...lots of window area, and little to no insulation, except what you install after you pull out all the old thin rotted stuff and replace it.

No worse than a Geo Metro---look at component sizing on it and realize how terrible OVERSIZED the original 70's era stuff was! The condenser core was good enough for a MUCH larger car, as was the Evaporator---matter of fact, that same evaporator was used in ARA's kit for Chevy Full Size behind the dash setups! This doesn't mean the components are undersized for an S30 due to 'not ideal situations' but again, most shortfalls in these early systems are due to poor installation and leaks in airpath, NOT components being undersized! They are grossly OVERSIZED as a matter of fact.

Another issue for me is the flow through the core...I will eventually have a turbocharged engine with intercooler infront of this, and then the radiator is behind this. They will all be ducted together, with a fan shroud, but that is a LOT of flow restriction possible!

Then proper airflow management will be necessary on the Condenser as well as the evaporator. Making it "bigger and more efficient" is a ham-handed way of getting around proper airflow management. It may work, but don't give the impression there is anything wrong with the original stuff supplied with the ARA or Frigi-King kits. If they worked fine for countless thousands of miles in my turbo car without an issue, methinks you are going into 'overkill mode' out of some misguided notion that there is something wrong with the components as sourced originally. There is not. People apply patches and fixes to something which is poorly designed or not understood. They proclaim victory over a problem which didn't exist. I can see not having a condenser and then saying "this one will work" but having an original ARA or Frigi-King condenser in-hand, I would be sorely tempted to 'forego' your 'upgrade' simply because it's unrequired even for the application you state. It's plenty oversized. Now, if you got one which was HALF the square footage so airflow over the radiator was only HALF restricted---you might have something there. But as it is you have effectively restricted flow through the whole radiator, with the same realitve delta T across the device---so what have you gained? Nothing, in reality. And in terms of system efficiency??? There is no free ride in thermodynamics. That you didn't have one, and found this one fits is the biggest justification for using this part. Don't think you have gained anything in 'efficiency'.

I will be watching this post closely.

Moved down to Laredo, TX for work after finishing up school and it is HOT down here. The car is all but undrivable for most of the year without A/C. So I guess that means I need to get something installed, and it needs be a very good system to deal with 110+ degrees PLUS humidity from time to time.

I've got a few other things that need done on the car before I worry too much about this, but it would be real nice to have a solid, functioning HVAC system when I finally do get her back on the road.

A common misconception is that Humidity adds somehow to the loading of the A/C system: it does not. COOLING is the only thing A/C has to do, dehumidification automatically takes place during this process. It's why evaporators can't run any colder than 35F...any colder and the copious condensate that forms rapidly turns to a big block of ice and renders the cooler ineffective. 'More is not necessarily better' is the watchword.

If anybody has ever taken a car into the SoCal or Southeastern Desert areas they will have experienced the worst thermal loading possible. Humidity removal is a secondary byproduct of the cooling process. All you need to insure is you have a proper condensate tray and adequately designed drain tube from the evaporator housing.

If you time the compressor cycling, and monitor the head pressure (and know what you are looking at) you can gauge how efficient each portion of the system is doing it's job. That a compressor cycles on and off signifies you have 'excess capacity'---you will notice nowadays the A/C tends to cycle ON a lot more than OFF when it's hot out. You will also notice cooling efficiency goes up when the car is moving forward rather than when standing still at idle. All signs that the components are progressively getting smaller, and working harder. Yes they are more 'efficient' but they are also working at 100% capacity far longer. The net result is that any deficiency at all in the system will result in marked decrease in the cooling capacity and a miserable cabin environment.

In the old days, the systems were so grossly oversized it wasn't funny. I could make condensate appear on the windshield, side windows, and hatch glass in my 75 Fairlady Z with the stock Nissan In-Dash air. I actually had to turn the adjustment knob down because it would literally get meat-locker cold inside sitting in the sun parked with the engine at controlled idle (the vacuum dashpot kicking up idle when the compressor kicked on).

The 75-78 systems were better than the ARA and Frigi-King simply because they were a blow-through evaporator core and less susceptible to leak dilution of the cold air. But the JDM system in the Fairladys sent to Tropical Climates with the little knob way up under the dash...AMAZING! And yes, it used the 'old style' flat copper tube and fin condenser... The size of the components in the ARA and Frigi-Kings was oversized because of the draw-through aspect of the evaporator. Blow through that puppy instead and you will get a meat locker inside the car it's so oversized!

There are tag-on under-dash units that will fit under the glove box. Give those a serious look---I can remember FOG coming out of them they were so cold! And since they usually have dual fans and can get decent air-exchange in the cabin (plus be mounted anywhere) they work exceedingly well.

Everybody gets stuck on the paradigm of an A/C system having to blow from the front of the car through the stock registers. The under-dash units work great and will cool the interior just as well. EVEN BETTER you can place them BETWEEN THE SEATBACKS blowing FORWARD and get a very efficient cooling without having knee clearance or fusebox (260 or 280Z) issues. This is where the Toyota 2000GT had it's aftermarket A/C pod... Worked great!

Uh, I do belive I stated I DO have an original 280Z condenser, but that's a non-issue. I've got my reasons for running the Mazda unit, so I'll run it. (another reason I'm using it: I have been talking with the good folks at VA for a while about this...they are recommending using the parallel flow condenser for a lot more reasons than I am.)

Anyway, Placed the order for the plumbing parts, and some pre-swaged aluminum hardlines.

I ordered:

1 90* -10 beadlock O-ring (condenser high side)

1 90* -10 beadlock Flare (compressor high side)

1 foot -10 barrier hose (compressor to condendser high side)

1 48" -6 pre-swaged aluminum hardline (drier to firewall)

1 straight -6 bulkhead fitting (firewall)

2 90* -6 beadlock O-ring (evaporator fittings)

2 foot -6 barrier hose (evaporator feed)

1 72" -8 pre-swaged aluminum hardline (firewall to compressor low side)

3 90* -8 beadlock O-ring (evaporator fittings and compressor low side)

1 90* -8 bulkhead fitting (firewall)

3 foot -8 barrier hose (evaporator return and compressor low side to hardline)

1 90* -8 beadlock flare (compressor low side)

Also ordered a standard drier, with -6 fittings in and out and a high/low pressure switch.

The whole crux is the following statement:

" and you can get BETTER performance."

Simply state your quantifiable goals. If the stock system, or even an aftermarket system delivers 37 degrees center-register what more 'improvement' do you plan on getting? How do you plan to quantify a contention that it will be 'better' performance.

The condenser core may well be more 'efficient' but it's heat rejection will be identical in terms of BTU's as the previous unit. It's based on load on the refrigerant system. What have you done to 'improve' that? You have added 'margin' on the liquid side...was it needed?

If the original systems were incapable of producing 37 degrees center register (the industry standard) then I would say someone aiming to improve and give 'better' performance would be a simple, straightforward matter.

But since the original systems when properly installed and maintained GIVE the benchmark...exactly what are your goals to meet in order to quantify 'better'?

I see the possible improvements are in airflow and air-exchange within the cabin (not anything related to the refrigerant side, but the ventilation-fan side). Both OEM and aftermarket systems have responded to massive increases in flow across the evaporator core with MORE 37 degree center register airflows---meaning the components have ample reserve capacity.

I am just getting at your contention you are going to make a system 'better' yet have offered nothing more than 'you can get these parts easier' or 'possibly cheaper'---but that doens't go towards improving the systems performance.

If you are going to tell us you are going to make a good functioning system 'better' then you need to tell me at least what your empirical goals and benchmarks are for an impartial review.

If you start with a car misfiring with fouled plugs on three of six cylinders, are new spark plugs, or different spark plugs 'making it better'?

If the plugs are fouling from bad rings and oil depositions, is the replacement of hotter range plugs an improvement and 'making it better'?

In both cases I would say it's not, it's simply a normal maintenance procedure, or band-aiding another situation undiagnosed by someone.

So goes it with 'improvement' of the A/C system. There are touted 'efficiency improvements' for this component or that...but if the stock system was amply capable of cooling the cabin easily (when functioning properly) how are you quantifying 'make it better'?

Or are you simply putting in hotter plugs?

Edited by Tony D

It is a better system for a modern installation. It takes less power to drive the compressor to produce the same amount of cooling, it offers less restriction to the airflow through the core, it offers less restriction to the refrigerant flowing through the core, it produces with the same 37 degree center vent temperatures with higher airflow through the evaporator core, allowing hot, outside air to be drawn through the core in a non-recirculating fashion to be cooled to the same temps as the recirculated air. Yes, I will be running both vented and recirculated air with my install. It also does not use the draw-through system of the old dealer-installed aftermarket air conditioning, which while it may have worked, did not work as well or as reliably as a differently designed blow-through system.

It also matches with the evaporator system that I am using, and is recommended by that company. The original system in good repair, used with the design-specified R12 refrigerant, can perform very well. I have a complete Late S30 system that I could use. You know as well as I know, that the early S30 dash in a USDM will NOT allow the later USDM S30 air handling system to fit correctly. I would have to change the dash and console to a 1974-1978, which I am not willing to do. I am choosing to NOT use 35 year old components when I can take advantage of 35 years of automotive air conditioning technology advances, AND design my system from the start to run with R134A. For the same size evaporator, R134A requires a condenser with approximately 30% higher capacity than an equivalent R12 system. R134A just doesn't have the specific heat of R12, and the systems are designed and optimized differently.

I'm not saying, at any point, that this system is the ONLY way to do it. I am saying that I am using these parts, for these reasons, and that's it. If you don't like it, TonyD, then you don't like it. Do it your way, which works too.

I'll dig up my references and PM them to you, Tony, complete with maths, after I have the system installed and can take good measurements. After it's installed and running, I'll actually be (In theory, I'm still looking at the math for this part) able to measure the efficiency, and (In theory) calculate the power usage, and, with a little handwaving, estimate shaft-horsepower needed to run the system.

Edited by Xnke

Using superheat and various other measurements this can be done. Measuring cycle time under standard conditions (say before/after) and charting heat removal in the cabin is also a rough measure of efficency increase.

I was involved at Parker-Hannifin in testing HVAC systems in Ford Vehicles and am suspect of most claims of 'improvement'---yes even of older stuff. Your comment of 30% larger R134 Condensers is about right, but the 'old' condenser was about 50% oversized to begin with which is what I was getting at, if you propose the new condenser returns this same margin using R134A---while technically an 'improvement' it still falls within the original parameter of a 50% margin.

Excess margin which usually isn't used.

I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm asking what the proof will be that you will end up with anything quantifiably 'better' as you claim. My contention has been that likely you will at BEST equal the original system performance.

I've been down this road, remember I mentioned Geo Metro earlier? Look at the compressor on that baby. About the size of a Z's AIR pump. Matter of fact, it mounts nicely there....

Relative heat loading and greenhouse similar....