HybridZ

dyno tuning -how many members pay a pro?

randy 77zt

finally after many years of goofing around with 2 efi systems and building a stroker l28 i have realized a limitation-i am not very patient at learning software of any type.i am kind of old school-fix it with a hammer kind of guy.after installing vipec efi and getting a good daily driver tune i have decided just to pay and get it done.trying to tune a rapidly accelerating car on the street and going back through data logs -i have had enough.car will be tuned with some kind of knock sensing system in place on a dyno with lots of air for turboed engines.i just want a good 15 psi 91 octane pump gas tune.but with 100 degree outside temps that can be tricky.so i am going to get roll the dice and get it done.

Sounds like a great idea. I want to get my Z professionally tuned but am waiting to install my new turbo (and get the exhaust redone - that's really what's making me hold off) and install my new cam.

Depending on how much you use the dyno, and how competent your friends are, the dyno place may let a competent friend run the dyno and leave you be in the car to tune it yourself!

That saves quite a bit of money. Especially when you realize they are charging you like $45 an hour to have him sit there and push the button...

Now, having someone who can run the dyno AND tune your system...that might be worth some money as long as you can talk to the guys customers and find out how that dyno tune actually ran on the street afterwards.

i bought the vipec from neel vasavada at apex speed technology in los angeles.i am have him tune it because i want the car to run like a new 2010 car.my z seeemed to turn into a science experiment over the years.i dont expect a big hp number-just want a car that drives the same every day with out working on it.its going to be a 600 mile round trip to get this done.the car has been sitting alot up until 2 weeks ago.been working full time on it -will have to find a new job after this.but i have been determined to go as far as i can with my parts combo so i can see the result.its a male pride kind of thing-i am not giving up until i get some results

Randy77ZT:

"but i have been determined to go as far as i can with my parts combo so i can see the result.its a male pride kind of thing-i am not giving up until i get some results"

You and JeffP need to bond when you come to LA Randy!

:lol:

I would not consider DIY tuning simply because you can only load my VG30DET engine up sufficiently on a dyno. Let alone know how to do a good tune. Its cheaper than blowing a motor and once done properly thats it, see my signature YouTube link for the Z on the dyno.

jake -they have a rb25 plug&play vipec for your app.i would highly recommend it.i really like the vipec on my car.its autotune system worked a daily driver tune out on my car in about an hour-and i suck with software.it would let you get rid of maf sensors