HybridZ

Is my R200 LSD worn out?

jgkurz

Hi All,

I've been having a strange clicking noise come from my left rear wheel area and need to troubleshoot the problem. I've eliminated the brake as the culprit and decided that the CV shaft was worth a look. The click noise sounds just like a front wheel drive car when the CV's are worn and it turns a corner. My wheel bearing also seems in good shape. For what ever reason I have been unable to duplicated the problem when the car is jacked up. My idea was was to remove the left CV then drive the car around the block to see if the noise was still present. I had an inner joint from an old shaft that I used to plug the diff. My thought was that since it is a CLSD that the car would still operate but only on the right rear wheel. In reality, when I pushed the throttle the car it wouldn't move anywhere. It felt just like a slipping clutch. I blipped the throttle gently a couple times and decided that either my LSD is worn out or it needs both sides installed to work properly. The odd part is that I have superb traction and always thought the LSD was working fine based on excellent 60ft times at the drag strip. I've never tried to do a burnout just to see if I lay two strips. While the car is jacked up both tires are move the same direction as would be expected on an LSD.

So is my diff worn or do both axles need to be installed for the LSD to work properly?

Thanks,

John

Edited by jgkurz

For a 77 with an R200? I am new to the Z game but I thought the u-joint half-shafts would swap so thought the CV mod would to. I have seen the early thoughts that the u-joint half-shafts were of different lengths but then I have also seen some work where someone actually measured both sides and found that they were the same.

If the 77 280Z R200 is centered, the shafts should be swappable. Is this not correct?

Thanks Jon. I was hoping you'd reply. I feel better that my LSD is probably working normally.

To confirm the length question, the 280ZX turbo CV shafts definitely are right/left specific. Unfortunately most all re-manufactured parts houses do not know there is a difference so if you find one there is no guarantee it's correct. See here for measurements: 280ZXT Axle Shaft Specifications

Edited by jgkurz