HybridZ

Building a fuel system for my rb25det

5thgenluder

Hey guys Im building my fuel setup for my 1971 240z for my rb25det swap in progress. So far this is my plan. post-11227-006251800 1278816434_thumb.jpeg

I plan to use a 3/8th right angle to -6an fitting. Connect that fitting to my high flow in-line fuel filter. From the filter im going to my bosch 044 pump. From pump to another high flow in-line fuel filter. From there im gonna connect to my 3/8th hardline to the engine bay. I plan to put the return line into the factory fuel outlet. How does this sound? Do I need the factory expansion tank? Im not quite sure what its for. If I do need the expansion tank what do I do with the Breather tube that went to the carbon canister? If I dont need it can I just weld up all the other bungs?

My tank also has a lot of rust on the inside. Heres a pic of what I havent shaken out yet.

post-11227-088902000 1278816983_thumb.jpeg

I plan to clean it out I bough Eastwoods fuel tank clean kit.

I'm doig the same swap as you and i'm just useing the vapor tank for venting. I'm running the hose the comes of the filler neck and the two from the main tank. I'm getting the other two welded up. The one from the carbon canister and the small one that is coming of the top of the main tank

I'm not sure I'm following you. Where does the pressure release. Without the charcoal canister the vapor tank will not be able to vent the pressure. Are u saying the little bit of volume that the expansion tank provides is enough to overcome the pressure of a full tank on a hot day?

Yes I am using the stock 240 tank. I want to do basic right now. I do plan to add a surge tank next year when I upgrade the motor. My concern is that I park the car in a small shared garage and don't want any gas smell. Does the vented cap cause any bad odor? I might just pick up a small charcoal canister and tuck it up near the tank.

Yes I am using the stock 240 tank. I want to do basic right now. I do plan to add a surge tank next year when I upgrade the motor. My concern is that I park the car in a small shared garage and don't want any gas smell. Does the vented cap cause any bad odor? I might just pick up a small charcoal canister and tuck it up near the tank.

I have a couple trucks that are vented and I don't really notice a odor. Thing that maybe a concern is that the charcoal canister is a temporary stop for the fuel vapor and the vapors are sucked out when the engine is running. I don't know if the canister will work as a odor controller.

http://www.familycar.com/classroom/emission.htm

This is a good link for the function of the canister under EVAPORATIVE CONTROLS.

Edited by goodoldjam

Well a vented cap seems to be the easiest way to do it. I can t all te hoses that to to the expansion tank and run them to the hose that goes into the filler neck and get a vented cap.

1 more question both of the filters are high flow 40 micron filters will that be ok?

Well a vented cap seems to be the easiest way to do it. I can t all te hoses that to to the expansion tank and run them to the hose that goes into the filler neck and get a vented cap.

1 more question both of the filters are high flow 40 micron filters will that be ok?

I'm not a expert I can only tell you what I've read. 30 micron and under before the injectors and 40 micron is fine before the pump.

ok so you have me concerned about the stock tank not having any baffles. Heres what Im thinking will be the best/cheapest solution for me.

post-11227-037657000 1278913536_thumb.jpg

I already have the stock tank off and cant weld so I have to have someone plug the stock return and all the vent tubes. I might as well take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it seal it and weld this guy on there. What do you guys think? is this a good permanent solution? I might as well do something I wont be changing next year. If any of you guys have experience with this setup how low will it hang and is it a huge eyesore? Is there any issues with legality having this thing hanging down from the stock tank?

ok Im not loving the look of a sump. I think ill just do a surge tank. I found this online.

post-11227-040142500 1279003521_thumb.jpg

Im ordering this tomorrow and just curious what is a good/ cheap low pressure pump. I have read about a few carter pumps but no model #s.

I am running a bosch 044 for my high pressure pump. Thanks again James

Yah just put a vented cap for when the pressure gets to great. And when its not it will just go to the vapor tank when it is cooler and not in use. Also if your out on a hot summer day you will most likly have to car out side. Here is a link of what i'm planning on doing to my tank http://picasaweb.google.com/rb240z/20070407FuelTankMod#

Ok. I'll keep the vapor tank and get a vented cap. Thanks for the advice. Ordered the surge tank. Still no luck on the low pressure pump. Found a Carter 4070 but it only has 1/4" not fitting on it. I'd prefer something with -6an. And I still have the hardest challenge. Finding a place for all this stuff.

Ok. I'll keep the vapor tank and get a vented cap. Thanks for the advice. Ordered the surge tank. Still no luck on the low pressure pump. Found a Carter 4070 but it only has 1/4" not fitting on it. I'd prefer something with -6an. And I still have the hardest challenge. Finding a place for all this stuff.

1/4" NPT is -6 isn't it?

1/4 is 4/16th. -6 is 6/16th. Or 3/8 npt. Is what I thought.

I think were getting confused with OD and ID. 1/4" NPT is .54" OD and -6 is 3/8 id hose. I have a fuel rail that is -6 and uses 1/4" NPT fittings. It confuses the hell out of me. The barbed fittings I have connect to 5/16 id hose. You can have a 1/4" NPT to 3/8" barbed fitting.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/7368-1-4-npt-x-3-8-brass-hose-barb.html

I had to look up NPT, but you can see how large a 3/8" NPT is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread

Edited by goodoldjam

Thanks guys. I am/was very confused. I was definately Mixed up About diameters. I'm ordering the pump now. Quick question if this is a 1/4 npt which is the same as -6 can I just attach my stainless steel braided cable to the fitting and hose clamp it on?