HybridZ

Considering a Diesel swap....

Mack

SO, the L series twin cam is on hold until I get some things done to my house, because to finish the timing system and build a lower end will cost a bundle. so, Ill just wait until I get my garage done and have a machine shop of my own to tinker in!

Ive recently begun to explore the wonderful world of diesel engines, and I must say I am impressed! Id be looking at in I6 and I want power and economy.

so, my choices are a mercedes OM606.962 which is a 24v 3.0l DOHC turbo IDI I6. Appearently, these are the 2jz of the diesel world. throw a modified injection pump on it, a bigger turbo and watch it go to over 550rwhp without cracking a headgasket. Imagine the torque something like that produces. Also, these things will spin to almost 6K rpm and still make power up there! there is already one running in a 240Z and its solidly in the low 12s. it is coupled to the stock merc auto, which is something Id change. Im thinking an adapter plate for a 88 or 89 z31T trans with the .711 OD and either a 3.36 R200 with LSD or an R230 with the armada 2.937 ratio, or maybe a 2005 to 2008 pathfinder R200 3.133 would be a nice compromise. flywheels are no problem as the sprinter vans came with 5cyl versions of the motor and manual transmissions. 240mm clutches even!

The other option is a nissan RD28ETi1. 2.8L 18 valve sohc based on an RB and will bolt up to RB transmissions and use RB clutches. so, the mounts driveline and prettymuch everything is taken care of. My only problem is I cannot seem to find any sort of dyno charts or builds on these, other than people saying to ditch them in the SUVs they came in and swap in an RB30DE(T). Or, turn the boost up until it blows, then swap it.

so, anyone have any info on either engines? I know MAG58 will chime in about the Merc engine! Ha Ha!

RD only has 12 valves.

Superturbo Diesel

Oh yeah, get a motor out of an W140 s-class or get the oil pump/pan out of a W140 S class. Any OM603/6 or M103/4 pan/pump will work. The pumps are all OM part numbers anywho. Reason being it's mid sump, most Merc's are front sump.

Edited by MAG58

• 5 months later...

Or maybe a RD28 bottom end, with a RB head?

18032010044.jpg

18032010038.jpg

The RD28 looks like a RD from the bottom.

13102009714.jpg

Pick a RD28 turbodiesel, and get oilsquirters under the pistons!

13102009718.jpg

All the oil and water matches, exept the rear oil drain, but then,

the RB heads usually gets extra oild drain in the rear anyway...

04102009681.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Weight, weight, weight. Check out some modern four cylinder turbo diesels, they may perform better than you expect.

Being fairly familiar with the modern stuff - they are still relatively heavy - and surprisingly cost prohibitive - yes, there are some cool small 4's and even some v6's and straight 6's that put out good power but they are EXPENSIVE for the power you get out of them - if you're goal is power you'll be better off with an older merc - they are just so simple with not as many parts - the wiring on the newer cars is tough and then if you want to push the power up you've got custom tuning - which is getting better and there are good people in the business but it isn't 30+ years of time like the older mercs have had to get their pumps & injectors perfect and proven.

now if you wanted to not rock a hood you can pick up the touareg v10's for a relative song for what they are - 300+ horse & 550lb/ft stock is a lot more than most stateside diesels you'll find and can of course be easily chipped up a fair amount.

Go test drive a brand new BMW 335d and then wreck it! Then run away and make sure to give them false info as to who you are. Then follow the car to the autowreckers and buy the engine INSTANTLY! Then you will have the coolest diesel ever created by a man.