HybridZ

S130 Speedhut 4" Tach and GPS Seedo conversion

S130Z

Hey guys!

Since my car have been in the booth for quite some time now, I decided to pull my guage cluster out and see what kind of fun I could have. I was able to pull the guage cluster out with the dash and steering wheel still in the car. It was a pain in the ass, but it is doable. I pulled everything apart and found out what I was dealing with.

(and sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. Better ones are soon to come)

guageassem.jpg

After seeing how it all lays out, I figured I just need a suport plate to sit in behind the guage overlay to hold the new guages. I ran to Lowe's and picked up some 1/4" plexi glass and started cutting.

The reason I am doing this is because I hate my 80mph speedo and the factory tach is so bouncy. I was surprised at the horrible design of the factory tach after pulling it apart. I have had no luck finding a speedo that has a direct factory cable atactchment, so I started looking for other options. I did some reaserch and came across the Speedhut Revolution GPS 160mph 4" Speedo. The customization, features and it being a close fit to factory made me want this. I also picked up a matching 10k rpm tach. This is what I ended up with for a support.

suport.jpg

This peice fits nice and snug behind the factory guage overlay. I painted the back of it balck, then epoxied the support peice to the back of the guage overlay. This is my mock up before I painted the plexiglass black and epoxied it all together.

mockup.jpg

Again, sorry for the terrible cell phone pics.

I had the paint and epoxy drying over night and will have it all put together and take full assembled pics of the cluster this afternoon.

The GPS Speedo has an antenna that recieves a signal from a satalite. It works just like a Tom Tom speedometer. It also tells altitude, direction, 1/4 mile, 60 ft. and a few others. It really is pretty cool. The tach also has a 5 LED progrssive shift light.

Speedhut.com, a little more expensive than autometer but worth it for me. I actually just ordered the tach and speedo! BTW, did you get the speedo with or without the turn signals? I'm wondering how they would plug in...

I have been looking at the speedhut revolutions guages for my S30 but I was having trouble deciding between the gps version or the ones that have the turn signals built in. Since you mentioned that the gps version keeps track of 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. I think I will get that version and find another solution for my signal lights.

I have been looking at the speedhut revolutions guages for my S30 but I was having trouble deciding between the gps version or the ones that have the turn signals built in. Since you mentioned that the gps version keeps track of 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. I think I will get that version and find another solution for my signal lights.

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Speedometer_GPS-auto_number-882.htm

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Speedometer_GPS-auto_number-883.htm

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Speedometer_GPS-auto_number-884.htm

All 3 of those are GPS and include turn signals and high beam indicators. I'm also pretty sure all the speedos have the peak recall, 1/4 mile, etc

Just to let you guys know, the 4.25" tach and speedo's just came out from Speedhut......the day after I purchased my 4" guages :cuss::fmad: . Needless to say, they would make a much better fit for the S130's than the 4" does.

I took my cruise out a long time ago. When I got the car, it never worked. It ended up being the rubber bump stop for the switch on the cluch pedal had falled out......found that out after my engine swap.