HybridZ

Opinions from those that have built high CR L28's

skib

Like I said, YMMV. I think if your stock L26 at 8.3:1 compression is pinging on 87 octane I would say that something else is wrong, but again, given the choices here of running a too-high-for-the-street compression ratio and methanol injection or just getting a different head and not having to screw with it, I know which one I'd choose.

Edited by JMortensen

Plus, how much is all that tubing, couples and intercooler cost. Not to mention installation time. IF I run an l6, (or at this point ever, family) I been convinced that meth inj, coupled with ceramic coat will be easier and cheaper then intercooler and cooling system mods. (pump radiator, drilling water jacket, etc. I have plenty of time to figure out if I'm wrong.)

Edited by woldson

Try running a stock L24 or L26 in 110F+ heat on modern fuel before you comment on 'something else is wrong'---that something else is THE FUEL! (REMEMBER: 160F Thermostat as well!)

To paraphrase Tom Jefferson: We hold this truth to be self-evident.

I'm not in the frigid northwest. I didn't have issues like this with my Corvair or VW in Michigan. I do in the Soutwest USA. Remember this board can cover more climates than your specific area. For some people, putting Methanol Injection on an N/A to simply allow driving of a stock vehicle in stock form at all times of the year is a cheaper alternative than changing a head and suffering performance loss on an already marginal performance engine...

That Skib is in Oregon someplace (we can only hope it's not the scorching inland desert area...) notwithstanding, the 'additional costs' of a methanol system are minimal and require no performance compromise whatsoever. I thought that was what building a performance car was about?

I've got an engine that was built in the late 80's which WILL NOT run on premium today. It did in 1985. What do I do? Open it up and chuck a $2400 cylinder head to lower compression to allow it to run and sacrifice 10% of the available horsepower? Or spend $350 and be driving in two days. :huh:

Edited by Tony D

I don't when the temperatures are reasonable. Like clockwork when there's an 80 degree day during the winter on winter fuel: PING PING PING PING.

Same goes during the summer when it's hotter than blazes outside.

It's pretty simple: the fuel is shite. It was NOT like this on the SAME car in 1989 when I moved here. My other car was marginal at that time on Premium.

Now, the marginal car WILL NOT run on Premium, but works fine on VP100 Octane available at the pump. For $6 a gallon.

It also works flawlessly on windshield washer fluid (50/50 meth and water) on 87 pump gas with a gallon tank lasting two tankfuls of gas and then some.

My 260 will use 87 octane and takes 4, sometimes 5 tankfuls of gas to go through a $2 gallon jug of fluid. Or I can put in a $10 can of 104 or NOS octane booster every tankful when it's hot outside... During the winter it seems I can turn it back to almost nothing, but on those hot days just dial in some Meth when I hear the ping and drive on.

BOTH of these rides have been dyno-tuned for most power under the curve with distributor advance set to achieve this, and not set to some artificial emissions retardation point. If you want the power, it comes at a cost. If you are willing to give it up, fine. But with as little as these cars have, I don't want to give up power needlessly over something as stupid as shite fuel being the only reason to curtail it!

Like I said, try that with a head change!

Edited by Tony D

Now, the marginal car WILL NOT run on Premium, but works fine on VP100 Octane available at the pump. For $6 a gallon.

Tony, you gotta hook me up with your "dealer" if you are getting 100 octane for $6 a gallon. It's been $8 to $9 a gallon at the pump since 2008. I used to blend my fuels to get around 95 octane for a bit of added insurance.

$6 and heavy change at the 76 Station corner of Ramona Expressway and Harvill Ave in Perris. I guess you could call it $7 a gallon... I know it was cheaper than Frank was paying for regular in Europe, so he was filling the tank of the 260 with 100 Octane during the last MSA Event. Gotta love regional pricing on fuels eh? And even better when someone thinks "outrageous" is a bargain and fills up the car. Gotta love the smell of that fuel out the pipe...

Right on the way to Lake Perris, lots of watercraft volume. It was actually cheaper than the 5 gallon pails of VP they are selling which were over $35 for the cheapest stuff they had...

Lee's 76 up in Pasadena (actually Lee, not the Chevron any more...) will give you a great deal if you supply him with a 55 gallon drum to put the fuel into. He'll even deliver it!

Edited by Tony D

• 2 weeks later...

11;1 cr should be ok if the cam is big enough.

I would say a cam with 292 to 300 degrees (seat to seat) with 110 lsa would be enough to drop the cylinder pressure to run 93 octane.

a cam this big would would well with a 3.90 gear and early 5 speed.

figure out the dynamic compression ratio. 8 to 8.25:1 is a good number for pump gas and a L28.

E85.

Finding stations is the challenge, that and replumbing the entire fuel system to run E85. I am replacing my braided fuel lines in the next year most likely and will be running E85 compatible hard lines. Still, I wish finding E85 stations was less like finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Bo, Bo, Bo, Don't hate me...man! The station now has E85 as well. A whole 5km from my house. How terrible is that.

heck, the boy has pushed the VW up from the depths of the back with the intention of using it to commute to school (UCR) this semester. I should be annoyed, especially of all the money spent on the 501 wagon to this point...but hey, it's the VW...

Two generations on the same vehicle. It's what I learned in. I have to smile (but not show it). :)