HybridZ

Gas filler options

Got a 77 with pretty bad rust damage in the tank filler area. Bought another panel to replace it from a member here but when it came in, it looks kinda of rough. Does anyone have some different ideas on where to go with it. I was thinking of patching the filler area with sheet metal and mounting a motorcycle filler cap either there or somewhere else on the car. Anyone else have some ideas or maybe pics of someone else doing the same thing?

Got a 77 with pretty bad rust damage in the tank filler area. Bought another panel to replace it from a member here but when it came in, it looks kinda of rough. Does anyone have some different ideas on where to go with it. I was thinking of patching the filler area with sheet metal and mounting a motorcycle filler cap either there or somewhere else on the car. Anyone else have some ideas or maybe pics of someone else doing the same thing?

I'm in the same spot, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. I already patched it shut so i need to think of something. I was actually considering something like this Sparco filler and door Here A little to expensive.

Or something like this remote filler

Both are a bit expensive, maybe something could be rigged up with one of the cheaper fuel doors.

I'm also considering just shaving it and adding a fuel cell and just popping the hatch when i need to fill.

Edited by goodoldjam

Love the sparco one. How would it mount up to this one. I have the factory hoses. Is there like a 3" extension on it to where a hose clamp would attatch?

I would probably reduce it with a piece of tube or find some sort of rubber ring I could slip over it to bring it up to 3".

Kinda like this coupler ring that comes with this Here Slide it over and it brings a 2 1/2" to 3". Assuming you can reach the filler neck

Edited by goodoldjam

• 3 weeks later...

I have made several filler tubes over the years. I usually use exhaust pipe to make the tube, cutting and fitting any angles or straights. After the basic design and shape is completed I cover it with two layers of bicycle tube. I cut a section of bicycle tube and stretch it over the pipe and then clamp it. if you roll the tube up condum style its easier to get the tube section where you want it. Never had a leak or problem.

• 3 months later...

Here's an example of a Mitsubishi Eclipse fuel tank door molded into the YZ rear fenders.

I had to make a custom inner fender cup where the fuel filler neck mounts. Quite a bit of custom fabrication, but the end result is that it looks stock imho... I also had to heat the fuel tank door and bend it slightly to match the contour of the YZ fenders...

To me, this type of integration is what is necessary to finish off the whole job...

Someday we'll post pics of this whole car, it came out real nice...

post-154-071098500 1290818208_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking a '94 up Mustang fuel door will be the closest match without having to cut/mould, etc. When I get one I'll let you guys know.

There's a guy on here with one and it looks awsome but he has no info on it. Was on the car when he got it.

BTW, I'm a Mustang guy too. I've got a '90 LX 5.0 coupe. I've got one of these fuel doors for that too but it's a square. Maybe I should see how it looks on the Z.

Here's an example of a Mitsubishi Eclipse fuel tank door molded into the YZ rear fenders.

I had to make a custom inner fender cup where the fuel filler neck mounts. Quite a bit of custom fabrication, but the end result is that it looks stock imho... I also had to heat the fuel tank door and bend it slightly to match the contour of the YZ fenders...

To me, this type of integration is what is necessary to finish off the whole job...

Someday we'll post pics of this whole car, it came out real nice...

post-154-071098500 1290818208_thumb.jpg

what tail lights are those and did you do a custom tail panel from sheet metal? i am planning to do circle tails in my s30 as we speak. just gettin finalize how i want it to look in the end, and looking for ideas on a good source for the circle lights.

what tail lights are those and did you do a custom tail panel from sheet metal? i am planning to do circle tails in my s30 as we speak. just gettin finalize how i want it to look in the end, and looking for ideas on a good source for the circle lights.

They are skyline GTR tail lights. Had to hand fabricate a custom rear panel. I used small portions of the GTR bezels to make it look like stock :). There's at least 40 hours invested in the rear of that car in make all those parts by hand.