HybridZ

the new 240z, added to my z pack.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

simple question ... why a stroker 3.1L turbo instead of a 'built' 2.8 turbo motor (e.g. forged pistons and such)? it seems you could have got 300 RWHP from a 2.8L turbo build-up. I suspect the 3.1L set-up would be a better street driving car with higher low-end torque and power.

simple question ... why a stroker 3.1L turbo instead of a 'built' 2.8 turbo motor (e.g. forged pistons and such)? it seems you could have got 300 RWHP from a 2.8L turbo build-up. I suspect the 3.1L set-up would be a better street driving car with higher low-end torque and power.

I went with the 3.1 stroker becuase i had the money to fund the motor & wanted somthing diffrent from just a build l28et.

The goal is for the motor to be pushed past 450whp/wtq.

Well i drove it wenesday and thursday.

Motor has 413 miles now.

But seems that the 3,000CFM electric fans are not cooling enof.

When the car is moving or at night when its 35-45 degree's the temp is 160-180, but when you get into traffic it jumps to 190-200 and was headed to 210.

So its back at PowerFab for some more upgrades to the cooling.

I have a Setrab oil cooler witch will help some but i think we are going to have to address the fans.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE-

ACT clutch installed, New 300zx clutch master and slave. {not the nabco}

Canton oil filter installed, and shell Rotel 15-40 oil change.

Vibrent intercooler installed.

750cc Injector Dynamics injectors installed.

Car seems to be running well.

Braking in the cutch nicly has about 240 miles on the clutch, going to put 300 more miles on it this weekend.

Motor has just under 1200 miles on it.

Hoping to get on the dyno on monday for some moe tuning and up the boost.

Hope everyone had a GREAT new years !

That's kind of ironic. I have almost the exact same setup about to go in my car soon. Down to the piston coatings, diesel Max water pump etc. Just got my head back from the machine shop yesterday. Great looking car - and great work!

I would recommend going to synthetic oil ASAP. You're past the break-in point and the synthetic oil will take the heat of the turbo much better than dinosaur oil. Don't get me wrong - I run Rotella 30 in everything BUT my turbo car and it's great oil - but you've got a lot of $$$ tied up in that motor - may as well feed it the best.

I probly will switch to a diffrent oil but, Motor is under a shop warrenty {PowerFab Auto} and they wanted to run the rotella, so its there call if they want to change to somthing else.

Update-

Some of you may have herd of the 300zx TT trany, literally moving back and forth in between shifting..this is true.

So PFA made up a Steel brace to help stabilize the trany were the adapter plate seems to lack, witch has been coated and installed.

Ordered some technotoytuning camber plates, front controll arms, Tension Control Rods.

Also will be orders a set of custom CCW classics and ZG flares. Will most likly keep the panasports as a extra set.

Looking to find some time to dyno this week, as long as work dosnt get in the way <_<

• 1 month later...

Well I'm traveling back to power fab tomorrow for some more tuning and Dyno time.

Seems that my walbro 255 fuel pump was going bad and to make matters worse my ECU went bad.

So after a new fuel pump, ECU, and AEM wideband installed lets get ready for some more power.

I have yet to order ny CCW classics, instead I've put the money towards a set of 40th anniversary Cobra carbon fiber race seats.

The classics and roll bar are next on list.

• 1 month later...

Been having a wired issue with burning out mu walbro 255

Fuel pumps. We have been running down leads as to why the

Continued to burn up. After my 3rd one in 2 months I stared to really

Get consured with the product and using walbro to feed my motor

For my 500whp goal.

As you all know I have a custom 10 gallon duel cell, well turns out that my autometer gas guage stopped registering my fuel level, in witch drew me to

Checking the internals of the cell, and that's were I found the foam bricks had sifted and moved all to one side is the cell. I'm stated to position them back to the proper areas and noticed the one of the bricks was no longer the correct. Shaped as in it was desolving. That's when I checked my old burned up pumps in let's and found they were completely clogged with black foam.

I have pulled all is the foam and flushed my fuel systems completely.

Nor using foam ever again.

Foam is from the company RJS.....just a heads up.