HybridZ

280zx or 300zx

bthomp

i have a normal 78 280z engine, looking at upgrading to turbo with the 280zx engine(going to settle for just norm 280z engine if i cant find zx), but i also can get a 300zx non turbo. which would be best, and is it even possoble to put the 300zx into my 78 280z?

kind of new to making hybrid cars seeing how this will be my first attempt at one, any help or info is more than welcome :D

Edited by bthomp

You should put in a SBC because that's the BEST! (see my smirk admins?)

Actually, if you don't know the answer to this, we can't really answer it for you. You haven't told us your goals, your skill level, tool availability, or which you're more familiar with.

You might as well asked "which is a better color, blue or green?" There's not really an answer to that. Now, if you asked "which is a better color for a tree, green or blue?" We could at least give you SOME direction.

Personally, I'd say go with the 280ZX turbo engine, for one BIG reason over all others, it's EASY as PIE compared to almost any other swap out there. So if you're skill level is lacking, never done many swaps, don't have access to tons of tools, nor have much money, go the traveled and documented route of the L28ET.

But that's my opinion, that's all. I DO love the VG30E motor as well.

tools- if i dont have it, i know someone who does

skill lvl- rebuilt a few dsm engines with my brother, along with fixing a few other kinds for people(learning as i go and read)

goals- friend has a 95-eagle talon, killed me, want to kill him and then some, but like drifting a lot

driving- i drive manual 65%, auto 45% of the time(prefer manual because you have more control over it)

money-i work at Mcdonalds and live in MD,

the VG30E looks in great condition and is in a junkyard and tran for 570 16k mi on it

finding a 280zx turbo, or parts for my L28 so i can turbo it is a bit harder to find in my area, shipping from like CA and other places out west to here is a killer :(

the blue tree would look best :)

Edited by bthomp

Well, considering that I didn't know you didn't have a source yet for a L28ET, I'd say go with the VG30E then. They're incredibly easy to fit, but it might still require custom exhaust headers (can be made cheap if you DIY it or get a friend with a welder to make one for some beer). These came with good ECU systems, and you could eventually turbocharge it down the road if you like. In fact the NA compression is better for boost imo, much like the L28EvsET motors.

So yea, since you have access to it, AND you seem fairly competent, then go with the VG30E. It' s there and available. They're also incredibly light and small, and have fairly bulletproof bottom ends from the factory. (for the year and all, if you're shooting for 500+ you might still want to rebuilt the bottom)