HybridZ

7MGTE Mounted

CArFAn

Hi hybridz,

Most dont know me some do but i have been around for a while now reading and what not. I started my swap last year and i just got the motor mounted on some temp mounts just to get it going. Its kinda hard to do a swap when you work everyday and you need a DD. Any ways i used 3/16 mild steel to make my mounts out of which might or might not hold not 100% but that's what i felt comfortable welding with so i went ahead and made the mounts. Also i have no clue how to weld and was never taught this is what i came up with after 4 days of 2hr practice sessions.

38766_1548862124030_1309408441_31528773_1938109_n.jpg

Did both sides and had the motor mounted in the engine bay finally!

38884_1549862869048_1309408441_31532774_4695545_n.jpg

Then i sat it on the ground to check the oil pan clearance and its near the same as the l28 hangs just a "smigget" lower.

40663_1549876669393_1309408441_31532863_6052329_n.jpg

I finsihed the trans mount as well but i have no pics of it when i pull the motor again to install the clutch and flywheel i will snap a few pics.

I have a question will the 3/16 mild steel i used hold up or should i go with 1/4 mild steel. i jumped up and down on the motor 215lbs and it didnt crack or bend or anything.

if you can post some more pictures of your mounts, I can give you a rough idea of their strength. The tensile and compression strength of steel is very high, so the geometry of the mounts are more important. If your unsure of your resign theres no harm in going and buying 10 bucks of steel and bulking them up. Maybe add some gussets in corners and triangulate where ever possible.

Im curious how the mounts arwe bolted tot he block, it looks like just two bolts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

more pics plz! im very interested in this swap. its prolly what i will swap into mine eventually when i blow up the turbo motor im getting ready to build. you should do me a favor and megasquirt it with edis and make edis sensor mounts for me! lol im a megasquirt junkie

marcus

• 4 weeks later...

I would not feel comfortable running those engine mounts. There needs to be some triangulation to support the engine vertically. Your welds don't provide significant strength in that direction. If you had rotated your flat stock 90* it might be acceptable.

Try grinding the mill scale off of your steel and follow the table on the inside of your welder to get your machine in the ballpark for heat and wire speed settings. Then practice on some spare stock to get everything fine tuned before making your final welds on your mounts.

With a little more practice you'll be there in no time ;)

Edited by cockerstar

I have gotten better at welding but have yet to make new mounts. Once i get the engine running as best i can get it i will use the hoist to support the motor and re-make the mounts. That was my very first actual welding project/learning curve. As for the design of the mounts, they were done just to support the motor always with the intent on being re-made.