HybridZ

*Pics* Looking for an estimated value of possible 260z purchase

Hey guys, I am a 3000GT VR-4 driver. I'm good (by my own estimate) mechanically, have replaced everything in my car inc. engine, trans, turbochargers, front-mount IC, etc... Running all Apex'i electronics... Anyways, that's not the point of this post, just a little introduction.

I am looking to buy a 260z with a 350 swapped into it. This car was traded in during a multi-car deal. It sat inside at a dealership all winter and recently got bought by another dealership. This is what I know about it, after tracking down the guy that built it and traded it in:

-It was purchased as a rolling chassis out of Missouri. Almost no rust that he can recall.

-Engine bought at a race auction, was in very good condition, but he doesn't know much about the internals.

-It is tubbed, but not all the way, still has original gas tank (mini-tubbed, right?)

-Ford 9" rear end

-Holley 4-barrel, unsure on CFM

-Auto trans came with engine

-5 bolt on the rear wheels, unsure of front, forgot to write that down

-Forgot to look @ brakes, d'oh

-Roll bar, nothing special

-Interior is STRIPPED, no windows either

-Body has original paint, he thought, it is actually in pretty awesome condition on the outside

-Original suspension gone, he put coilovers in there (I think, phone was cutting out)

-Hurst shifter

-Exhaust is a hack job, tips sit about an inch in front of rear tires on both sides. Looks cool, I guess, but I'd probably move it.

-Has a Mustang-looking front bumper. I kinda like it, that's what drew me to the car.

I did drive it, it's got some pickup to it. On deceleration it backfires pretty good. I would like to put a blower on it. I know that they are a whole different beast than turbo's, but hey, I can learn.

They want $5500. It appraised for $7500 but I DO NOT TRUST the appraiser. Seemed very shady, said interior was in "good" condition. It's stripped out completely, dash gauges don't work, and there are no windows for Pete's sake!!!!!

Anyways, I don't have a clue what I should be asking for, but I was going to start @ $3500 see how good I can yank them. At what point should I call it quits and move on? I really appreciate any help you guys can give. I know as far as 3000GT's go, when you put money into them you drive down the value of the car FAST. Can post pics, but the only ones I have are exterior, which is actually very nice. I hope I have given enough info.

Edited by shifty556

It's tough without pics, but its for sure a dedicated drag car now unless someone wants to try and remove the tubs and solid rear end.

And since its now a "drag car" that limits the market tremendously. I would offer 2500 to 3k based on the parts value. It sounds like its been sitting on their lot for a while, and cash is king in the car biz..

Make sure you make an offer in writing and if they turn you down, email your offer to the GM of the dealership, you'd be suprised how effective that is.

The advice is much obliged!

Problem is, it's this old hag that runs the dealership. They have a Corvette Pace Car, the ugly (I think) purple one with yellow wheels, 12k miles, they want 47,000 for it. Wow.

Anyways, I'm gonna come at them with 3000 and see what she does. I may go as high as 4000, just because I really, really like the car and the previous owner really put my mind at ease.

used-1974-nissan-260z-racecar-6111-5867604-3-640.jpg

used-1974-nissan-260z-racecar-6111-5867604-8-640.jpg

used-1974-nissan-260z-racecar-6111-5867604-7-640.jpg

used-1974-nissan-260z-racecar-6111-5867604-16-640.jpg

used-1974-nissan-260z-racecar-6111-5867604-23-640.jpg

used-1974-nissan-260z-racecar-6111-5867604-2-640.jpg

Edited by shifty556

Plan would be to have fun for a year with it, then maybe try to fit a big block in it. Or, put some sort of forced induction on that 350. I also want to 're-civilize' the interior. My g/f says I can buy the car if I put a passenger seat in for her <_<

I had a suspicion that it was not factory paint. But hey, it does look good up close.

I have a 1999 3000gt base model and a 1992 3000gt VR-4 that can make 350+ awhp on a good tune, so this 260 wouldn't have to get too crazy, just a fun car.

If you planing on using it for anything else besides drag racing, I would look for a different car. It would take a lot to make that thing streetable.

It actually wasn't half bad on the street. I guess I don't quite know what your definition of streetable is, though. I don't really know what any definition of streetable is, as my 3000 is all-wheel drive and streetable up to like 550 hp (apples and oranges, I know)

I do not plan on street-racing, I'm not into that whole scene, but I could definitely see taking it to the local drag strip and having a few go's.

Do you mean that it just won't be an enjoyable driving experience? I know that I'm going to have to put some friggin' windows in it, add a passenger seat, and maybe lay some carpet. I must admit I'm not crazy about the lack of power steering, but I can suck it up I suppose!

The lowest I was able to get them down to was $4250. I'm absolutely not married to the car, and will probably let it go if I can't get them to come down any more. In lieu of this car, I could see restoring a Nova, Challenger or Charger, but the entry fee is a bit steep for the latter two.

Well, I got her down to $4000. She's pretty damn ignorant and pissed that she has to go "that low". Anyways, I still think it's expensive...but I think I might do it. Anyways...any last thoughts?

Whoever did the interior mods isn't that good.

I'd honestly go for it if I had the funds.

I'm 99% sure the previous owner spent twice

the asking price on making it what it is today.

I'd get rid of the nasty wing and paint.

Whoever did the interior mods isn't that good.

I'd honestly go for it if I had the funds.

I'm 99% sure the previous owner spent twice

the asking price on making it what it is today.

I'd get rid of the nasty wing and paint.

First, I don't know a ton about muscle cars. My buddies at work told me the 9" rear end is really nice though.

The previous owner is the owner of a local limo service. Money literally is no object to him. I talked to the dealer that had this Z before the current dealer, and they said he's traded in a lot of street/strip cars, including 4-5 other Z's. When he traded in this 260, it was in a multi-car deal for a Ferrari. I'm pretty sure one of the parties REALLY got taken on that deal.

Anyways, I am constantly waffling between going for this and waiting til I have the funds to do an old Nova or a Charger. Problem is, those old Mopars are SO expensive, even in rust-bucket condition. I agree on the wing, I think it's fugly. I disagree on the paint. I'm not a Z purist though...is black not really cool? Please advise!! haha

....and another change of heart. Probably will take this at 3500.

I'll use my late 30's (26 now) to build a Mopar. I figure I'm getting a bulletproof backend along with a nice engine in a light, rare car. Any rebuttals? I'm sure I'll change my mind by tomorrow anyways!!

Well the front grill is not a 260Z front end. It looks like a 280Z with a 260/240Z louver-less hood. It'd got the Cage built already, so that's a ton of work out of your way. It's really what is it worth to YOU. She says $4K if you show up with 3500 cash she might just go for it. If she says no, then tell her it's a standing offer and walk away. The car has some issues, but it's not a street car. it's a track car. You're not buying it to drive around town, and it also doesn't matter what your GF thinks, she's not your wife. Interior is cheap, you can get all the parts you need to make it decent off Ebay or through hybridz classifieds. You need to look at all the post concerning where to find Rust. There's a few guys on here who drive similar cars and have a lot of experience on the build that would go into what you've described. It would certainly cost more than 4K to build yourself a new one the same as that mostly in time/parts. But if the end result worth that? Hard to say.

As for appraisals, you'll really need to talk to your insurance appraiser. They're going to be the one writing the checks if anything happens to it. and they're the ones you're going to Reach an "Agreed Upon Value" when buying the insurance. so really that's the car's value. Other than that, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it. PM me and I'll hook you up with my buddy who built his monster V8 240Z that looks very similar to that.

Phar

If you do pick it up, I have a set of windows you can have for free but need to be picked up in the next couple of days.

That'd be great! Honestly, I am leaning toward it. @ $4000 tax title and license, I suppose there are worse deals out there. I appreciate all the help guys.

That'd be great! Honestly, I am leaning toward it. @ $4000 tax title and license, I suppose there are worse deals out there. I appreciate all the help guys.

Turns out she "doesn't remember telling me" 4000 out the door. She said tax, title and license were going to put the thing to $4650. Walking on this deal. I do think that the car is really sweet, but it looks like the rear end is messed up now that I have another look.

http://www.speedwayautomall.com/detail-1974-nissan-260z-race_car-used-5867604.html

Have a look...looks crooked. The PO told me they had to custom fit the suspension, so I figure they fudged it up.

Turns out she "doesn't remember telling me" 4000 out the door. She said tax, title and license were going to put the thing to $4650. Walking on this deal. I do think that the car is really sweet, but it looks like the rear end is messed up now that I have another look.

http://www.speedwayautomall.com/detail-1974-nissan-260z-race_car-used-5867604.html

Have a look...looks crooked. The PO told me they had to custom fit the suspension, so I figure they fudged it up.

Don't change your mind again. You made the right decision.