HybridZ

F***ing Seat Mounting

johnc

Nissan really screwed up with the seat mounting on the 240Z. Jeez, what a pain! Why did they design these little pockets of dirt, debris, rust, loose change, old food, chewed gum, dead bugs, and sharp edges as a place to bolt the back of the seat? Did Hoji in the Seat Mounting Design Prefecture Department really think he had a good idea? Did his design boss even look at the drawing of the horrible, hand cramping blind spots or was he stupid drunk on Sake when the papers crossed his desk? Jeez what pain!

When you realize in the JDM the hexagonal spacers were threaded, so they don't fall off, installing/removing a seat becomes a breeze!

Also, their JDM cars had 'dual mounts' meaning another set of holes about 2" forward of where the US Market Seat Mounts are---plenty of access even for my fingers. Their JDM studs were also quite a bit longer to accomodate a BIG stack of those spacers underneath to 'boost up' the vertically challenged domestic consumer.

This goes hand-in-hand with some other maintenance procedures I've done. They are particulary onerous on a US Car (think anything with the pedal cluster upper pieces) but are a BREEZE on the RHD models.

The last set of seats I did, I simply cut the damned sheetmetal stringers out of the car, and bolted through a reinforced section of the floorboard directly. I will do the same on the Shark Car, as it's front seat mount was pretty much ripped through due to excessive upper body inertia coupled with 265/50's out back and and heavy turbocharged right foot! :)

Hey John, I know of a good fabricator in SoCal that might be able to help you redesign those Japped up seat mounts. I hear he has a lot of experiance with Z cars (snicker snicker).

Sawzall! The American answer to Japanese design.

That's my usual solution but this car is too nice for the Sawzall - although I did use it on the rusty exhaust pipe.