HybridZ

How did you strip your Z?

Boobala

I used wet/dry 80 grit to get some real thick paint off, I also used the aircrat stripper on a couple of panels. If I did it agin I think I would use the aircraft stripper, but it is messy.

Sand blasting with the plastic media might be a good option too, but harder to do at home.

Guest Anonymous

After spending about 75 bucks on aircraft stripper and still having a long way to go I took the disassembled car to have it bead blasted. If I ever do another car, I won't waste time with chemical stripper. Left a very nice surface to work with. Mark

I spent sixteen bucks at Home Depot for heavy duty Klean Strip. On vertical surfaces the paint peels off by itself after about 20 minutes. I had three coats of paint and sanding just wasn't getting it. Its a little messy, but put down plastic before you start and wipe down the panels with paint thinner when you are done. It even lifts bondo with two coats. I would do it the same way again. 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

Z stripper, I think balloons or nearly see-through silk scarves would be pretty damn sexy... Ooops, wrong site... bonk.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest VertexZ

ive tried sanding and stripper.

stipper is great, but *extremly* messy. You can get to bare metal with a good thick coat though.

Sanding - using a rotary is pretty quick but its a little messy too - dust will go everywhere - make sure to use a good mask. Can be a little hard on concave surfaces and edges though - its easy to put some reasonable sanding scratches in the metal - fixable with lots of primer surfacer though.

I've only completed stripping the engine bay so far. I tried stripper on a section. It was messy to say the least.

I ended-up having very good results with Scotch-brite pads on Roloc discs. I picked up a Roloc adaptor for my high-speed drill and an assortment of 4" and 5" discs from the local autobody supply house. The Scotch-brite discs take the paint off in a hurry. Like Vertex recommended, keep a good face mask handy. The dust goes everywhere.

Guest Anonymous

Like Wag Z, I have also used the roll lock discs with the screw on scotch brite discs on a small air grinder and was amazed at how serious this combination took to removing paint in a hurry. It is not a uniform overall removal due to the disc size limitation but it gets to bare metal. Just connect the dots and paint is gone.

I've done both of my cars with aircraft stripper. Works even better if you put a sheet of plastic, like a black plastic garbage bag, over the application while it is working. I used about half the amount of stripper on the second car as I did on the first and it had four different colors on it!

Joe

i got my Z to strip with a little al green in the background and some candles. (no alchohol needed)

but really...ive used the chemicles and sandpaper..and blasting.

if your going to use the chems...buy them in a spray can. its more expensive...but the ease of use is worth the extra $$$ one thing to note...if you have anybondo on the car..it will soak up the stripper...so you must completly remove all old filler before you start body work again

sandpaper..is a little better because you dont have to worry about chems bleeding through the seems and into your new paint job. but its very dusty and takes a long time.

depending on the media...and the person(s) doing to job. blasting is the best. any decent shop should ahve a choice of blasting media...some much better (read:$$$$)than the others. but beware...as experaince is key..and if the worker stays on one spot to long...he can warp the panel..and give you even more work to do.

so anywho...my general .02c

I read a thing in a recent car magazine about systems that use baking soda to strip cars. The stuff was so simple and environmentally friendly that there were small companies that could come out an strip your car right in your own driveway. Since it was only baking soda everything cleaned up with water. There were other advantages too, like it didn't affect chrome or rubber.

Might be worth looking into.

Guest Anonymous

Ive stripped more cars than I care to remember and the easiest way is to have a pro shop blast it for you. Just remember as sparky says,Make sure the person behind the gun is experienced.If you plan to do it your self you have the right idea,a combo of both sanding and chemicals works best.If you use 40 grit paper on the surface to break open the paint,(so to say)it allows the chemical to do its work much faster.Ive found that an aircraft stripper works great,but there are a few ground rules to follow.First,wear gloves,this is VERY important.Second,apply a pretty thick coat and allow to set longer than you think you should, but not so long that it dries.DO NOT apply in the sun.Try to do it in as cool a place as you can.Lastly,to get the stuff off the car you should use a bondo type spreader and scrape in one direction over the panels to get the majority of the gunk to fall on to plastic sheeting or paper of some sort.This makes the final clean up a whole lot easier.You simply roll up the plastic and discard.If you have access to a pressure washer,this would be a good time to put it to use.if not a regular hose will work. Pay close attention to getting the stuff out from under any crome you have left on the vehical,and out of all cracks(If you dont get it all,this stuff will cause a nightmare when you go to paint.) puke.gif Then get a bucket of soapy water and a scuff pad and give it a good bath and your on your way. cheers.gif