HybridZ

Paint job ideas for my Z

HybridThis

My paint job is kind of meh on the Datsun so Im looking at cheap, unique/arsty ideas to dress it up a bit before paint (suspension, wheels, flares, cage in the works ATM, bodywork last).

I have thought about doing a Japanese Zero theme in flat green/black with rising sun, maybe Japanese imperial Army sun, WWII era bomber shark teeth, whatever..

Any ideas are welcome..

This is a quick photoshop I did. It might be a bit cliche'd but I think it looks pretty cool - picture with flat black hood.

Mt Fuji and a couple cherry blossom trees.

myzsideart.jpg

• Like 1

I see where you going, but that seems a little loud for my tastes... How about a dark silver with ghost style (read slghtly darker or lighter silver) Japanese maple leaves? Bride made a seat with some vintage-esq cloth with a Japanese maple leaf pattern that looked pretty nice, and I always wanted to see the theme done in paint. The Japanese zero theme could look cool, with the right shades and matte look.

That poor Z is about to get riceboyized = please don't make another Z into something people will look at with a chuckle...

I saw another guy local here in FL here who camouflaged the wheels and sides in black, white and blue - it was hideous - I'm sure he's had to junk the car - he was trying to sell it and even for parts it would be embarrassing to have in the driveway while you pulled it apart... my guess is the junkyard couldn't crush it fast enough

Yikes....

Yep.

Is that your nice, clean, PAINTED Z? I wouldn't mess with it ;)

+1

That poor Z is about to get riceboyized = please don't make another Z into something people will look at with a chuckle...

I saw another guy local here in FL here who camouflaged the wheels and sides in black, white and blue - it was hideous - I'm sure he's had to junk the car - he was trying to sell it and even for parts it would be embarrassing to have in the driveway while you pulled it apart... my guess is the junkyard couldn't crush it fast enough

Exactly. I really don't see this ending well.

Did this car belong to BayAreaZT? If so, please don't ruin it. It was one of my favorite examples of a clean, tasteful 240z.

I like the maple leaf idea.

I think Im going to do it just to piss off the haters. This is my reply to all the louvered hatches and windows, centerline and mustang wheels, flame paint jobs, bondoed headlight buckets and SBCs/SBFs.

Oh, and the car is in Tampa. :)

Cool - I'll be sure to point out your ridiculousness in person at our next Z club meeting - although I doubt you'll want to show the car in public once you yourself see it completed...

Doing things just to piss off others - Love it - You're only devaluing your car and subsequently taking money out your own pocket to do so! LOVE IT!

Yep.

+1

Exactly. I really don't see this ending well.

Did this car belong to BayAreaZT? If so, please don't ruin it. It was one of my favorite examples of a clean, tasteful 240z.

It was.

The car is somewhat of a mess. Wiring everywhere, fading paint, cheap wheels, etc. Hardly what'd I'd call "clean".

I am in the process of redoing EVERYTHING with real, quality parts.

Here is my DD for reference:

flasupermeet63.jpg

Some people take this hobby waaaayyy too seriously - most of the time without a pot to piss in. The Z will turn out nice.

Edited by HybridThis

lower the car about 1in and then do it.

I mean really? It is just paint, if you dont like it paint over it.

Exactly. I, for one, like theme and see where you are going. LanceVance has a good suggestion and I like the imagery you selected. However, there is far to much red and shades thereof going on. I see the paint job getting old after a few years and opting for something more subtle, but, as crazyoctopus said, it's only paint.

This is really no different than people painting stripes down the hood, two-tone paint jobs, attempting the "panda" look, putting "carbon fiber" (most are just reskinned fiberglass) hoods on their cars, etc.

You should do something like the member Tanuki did, Check out his build thread. He did a custom underside to his hood it looks pretty good, I understand where your wanting to go with trying to make the bad paint look better but in my opinion there is two much going on right in the middle of the car, maybe if you offset it towards the back and simplify it some more it would look great.

It was.

The car is somewhat of a mess. Wiring everywhere, fading paint, cheap wheels, etc. Hardly what'd I'd call "clean".

I am in the process of redoing EVERYTHING with real, quality parts.

Here is my DD for reference:

flasupermeet63.jpg

Some people take this hobby waaaayyy too seriously - most of the time without a pot to piss in. The Z will turn out nice.

Ugh, sorry but you have that image of what I say is a ricer. I mean, I drive a multicolored 240sx, so I guess so do I. Just something about a Honda with a stupid ridiculous body kit and wheels painted to purposely NOT match the car is in the side of my brain that says hate.

Ugh, sorry but you have that image of what I say is a ricer. I mean, I drive a multicolored 240sx, so I guess so do I. Just something about a Honda with a stupid ridiculous body kit and wheels painted to purposely NOT match the car is in the side of my brain that says hate.

That body kit is hardly ridiculous. Although I still half-agree with you. Not my taste.

That body kit is hardly ridiculous. Although I still half-agree with you. Not my taste.

I agree that body kit is decent and isn't to crazy like some others out their and I personally like the wheel color choice it goes nicely with the silver and the blue tint of the headlights. Just because its a honda doesn't mean it is a ricer, My family has owned its fair share of different types of hondas, in fact we have only had two cars that have reached top speed on the speedometer a 1983 Honda Civic Hatchback and a 1967 Ford LTD. :D