HybridZ

Paint job ideas for my Z

HybridThis

Just finished a quick spray. Tape comes off in the AM..

Are you going to post a picture?

Did you select the "pink" color theme that you previously posted? Honestly, I still feel the approach was all wrong but that's just my .02

Tasteful color themes are sometimes OK, but the key is the execution - and I rarely see one that I would consider well done - With 35 years in the custom car business (it was our family business until we decided to sell it and move to florida), I can say that I have a good eye for design and I was not too keen at all about your first attempt...

Just trying to coach you from making a mistake that would be costly to "undo". Seems that other member who said "it's just paint" has very little experience stripping a car that needs paintwork redone - to do it right it is a very labor intensive job... but most don't do it right and it shows in the finished product - Paint is not something you can do half assed

Something you could do, that doesn't involve painting a ice capped mountain on your door, would be to fallow the cherry blossoms on vines and keep the birds. Use the cherry blossoms on vines as accents and add some visual stuff like, making it look like the vines are growing out of a rust hole in the rocker...etc Let the shape and colour of the car be the main feature and use the accents to well, accent the cars natural lines.

you should just paint it pink, and put yellow wheels on it, slam the piss out of it untill the floor is just a bunch of scraped metal, and put as many stickers as you can possibly fit on any piece of glass there is, and all the while say "F#ck all you people, youre just jealous haters"....seriously its the tards that go to nice car meets like "cars and coffee" with their blue taped on cardboard that think its funny that make me really glad i am not them.

Seriously there are "theme" cars that look good but the key is execution and that first "attempt" didnt come close, but wheres the pics? Be "proud" like the rest of the....well its your car, do what you want.

haha do you have a chip on your shoulder bud? i sure as hell dont care enough to search out every post he's made, he made this thread, said tape would be off in the AM, so any rational person would expect him to post the final results in his original thread where he started the discussion/topic.

And now that i click that lovely link, i had already seen that thread...not anything new or even the whole car, it looks like a half finished paintjob...didnt confine it to the hood, and by adding the fenders/front end in and not doing anything to the back it looks really lopsided.

shouldve just dont it pink with yellow wheels scraping as much as possible as said before.

Edited by sticky280zx

Oh man how did I miss this stuff?

I can appreciate everyone's opinions and don't expect everyone to agree with my cars/style. Otherwise I'd be in stock gold Accord. :)

For the S2000.... The entire car has OEM Honda aero and frankly, the wheels/tires were more than most of your Datsuns are worth. Of course a lot of HBZ members take a very different approach to modifying their cars.. but I suppose that comes with the territory when dealing with a car that can be had for the cost of a new set of tires.

Anyway, in keeping with that theme I ended up doing a rattle can job to embrace the grassroots feel of the car. Actually thats one of my favorite bits about it - the ability to sit on the fender, throw my keys on the roof, etc - Not worrying about the paint.

Of course within the next few months the Z will also be sitting on Work wheels, have a fully adjustable suspension, gauges, seats, blah blah... paint work being the LAST of my concern.

My instincts were correct - that "rattle can" job perfectly illustrates what I was referring to in my initial post.

I particularly laughed at the statement you made "Anyway, in keeping with that theme I ended up doing a rattle can job to embrace the grassroots feel of the car."

Since when does a classic 240Z deserve a rattle can paint job to keep with the grassroots feel of the car? Especially that poorly executed stuff you did!

As I have previously stated - my opinion is that you made the car look worse, will now have additional (significant) work when (if) you ever paint it properly and took a pretty good looking car and made it look riceboy silly

I admire folks who tastefully execute creative paint schemes, but if you're looking to try to accomplish that I would recommend that you hire a professional

I'm with kjones. That WAS a nice car, in need of restoration. Paint tends to fade in 40 years time, but the car isn't rusty (relatively), and is generally complete and solid... and running, which is more than a lot of us can say about our cars. Not to mention it's an early car, which is generally seen as the most collectible of all years of the 240z. All the exterior mods done by the previous owner were also very tasteful (IMO), whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

So far, I really don't think anything you've done is an improvement. Sorry.

My instincts were correct - that "rattle can" job perfectly illustrates what I was referring to in my initial post.

I particularly laughed at the statement you made "Anyway, in keeping with that theme I ended up doing a rattle can job to embrace the grassroots feel of the car."

Since when does a classic 240Z deserve a rattle can paint job to keep with the grassroots feel of the car? Especially that poorly executed stuff you did!

As I have previously stated - my opinion is that you made the car look worse, will now have additional (significant) work when (if) you ever paint it properly and took a pretty good looking car and made it look riceboy silly

I admire folks who tastefully execute creative paint schemes, but if you're looking to try to accomplish that I would recommend that you hire a professional

Again, no worries.

Since you're in the bay area let me know when you want to come and pick it up and give it a proper makeover. Thanks in advance :)