HybridZ

Which flares are these?

Nismo_Gizmo

looks like the glass ones i had on my old 240....

2lkdyqq.jpg

169lsld.jpg

those are 15x8 -35 fronts

and 15x10 -45 rears

Also i have steel flares on my v8 280z and it is running 16x9 or 9.5 centerlines out back and 15x8 fronts....so im pretty sure you might be talking about a different flare Jmort. I can see atleast 4-5inches of lip on that car pictured so i would say those are 9-11's on it front and back

1j6azs.jpg

Edited by sticky280zx

I've been shopping for flares and so far I found the IMSA flares which I like but I think they might be a little too aggressive. I like these a lot but I have only seen them on this car, maybe they are custom?

Those are definitely the Black Dragon steel flares they sell for around $400 a set. I have been told that the Black Dragon flares are merely cut VW bug flares....might look into pricing the VW flares and cutting these down if you have some fabrication skills, they are surely cheaper than the BD stuff...

BTW, the advertised 3" additional clearance is BS, it's more like a 1" to 1 1/2" flare; You would be hard pressed to get more than a 275 width tire under these flares. If that's enough then they will be fine.

I dont want to turn this into a "Well im going to build this and do this thread."

So to make a long story short, I have a 5 lug hub kit and 4 wheel disc brakes that I stripped off of a Z31 turbo. My goal is 600rwhp and I was hoping to fit a ~305 series tire on ~17x10's in the rear. I haven't done a lot of wheel research for my S30 yet, I just bought it recently. All I know is that I'm going to need flares regardless. With that said, I'm also going to need as wide of a tire as possible, with the limiting factor being the styling of the flare I choose.

This is not a track car, just street.

I dont want to turn this into a "Well im going to build this and do this thread."

So to make a long story short, I have a 5 lug hub kit and 4 wheel disc brakes that I stripped off of a Z31 turbo. My goal is 600rwhp and I was hoping to fit a ~305 series tire on ~17x10's in the rear. I haven't done a lot of wheel research for my S30 yet, I just bought it recently. All I know is that I'm going to need flares regardless. With that said, I'm also going to need as wide of a tire as possible, with the limiting factor being the styling of the flare I choose.

This is not a track car, just street.

Do a search for "YZ" flares and you'll get all the info you need. These will serve your purpose.

I forgot to mention. Regarding the flares, I really would like to keep my chrome bumpers.

Mine is a 78, so ditching my bumpers were my first order of business! Not gonna happen with the YZ flares, these are essentially replacement panels for your rear 1/4 panel.....John Washington would be your contact at Reaction Research, great guy and I can vouch for the quality of his parts. He is reputable with a very good name on this site. He also offers excellent support after the sale.

Cheaper is not always better, "cheap" and "fiberglass" are usually two words I avoid when used in the same context.

Cheaper is not always better, "cheap" and "fiberglass" are usually two words I avoid when used in the same context.

I would agree, but having bought the rear flares from Brian, they are really incredibly good as far as the surface goes. The gel coat is almost passable for paint AND they're cheap. Problem with them for a lot of people is that they're almost too wide.

As a side note, I'd like to stay beneath $500. I priced volkswagen bug fenders and they sell for $140 each. There are some considerably cheap aftermarket plastic and fiberglass ones though. I could get an entire set for about $200. I have never done that type of fabrication but I can be pretty delicate with sand paper. (I've built a few guitars)

These might not be so bad if they were molded around the edges. http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7BSA02/50-1565

How difficult would it be to fill the bolt holes and paint these?

http://www.zforceproductions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=56

Would filling the holes with bondo be the best method?

Edited by Nismo_Gizmo

Well since it looks like I'm going with the 9in wheels, maybe I should stick with the fenders in the top image since that car still has the bumpers. I've never driven a 600hp car, am I going to lose traction if I punch it in 2nd or 3rd, with 9in rear tires (Im assuming 275mm tires)?

That's a question that simply can't be answered- and probably belongs in another forum but if you are thinking wide street tires alone will allow you to hook up 600 rwhp (assumed RWHP) in a 2600 lb tin can, you are probably going to be dissapointed. That car would be capable of high 9's at better than 140 mph traps; getting anywhere close (I'm talking seconds here) to that kind of number puts a premium on planning. It's really no different than building an engine. Without planning the purpose and components needed to accomplish your goal, your results won't be worth the effort.

This is off point a bit, but if you haven't driven a 600 hp car then I would suggest getting some seat time in a comparable vehicle and see what it's like. If I were in your shoes I would lower my horsepower aspirations, spend the difference in the proper suspension components to get it to the ground without breaking. In the end you will have a far more satisfying car. Go ask the 1000 hp Supra guys at the strip how they feel about getting smoked by a 400 hp car that is properly set up to the task at hand...Sure they will be reeling you in, but what's the difference in 2 bus lengths vs. 1 1/2 bus lengths? Unless you are at the salt flats you are in for a long night (assuming you don't leave after the 2nd pass!).

If you don't care about traction or occasional strip use then you will probably be fine with your plan-

You probably won't see any component breakage because you are never going to be hooking up.

I have (uninstalled) 5 lug hubs, z31T cv axles, and a longnose r200 (z31t)

Ive seen videos of Ls1's spinning tires at 80mph. I don't want that to be me. I don't care too much about 1/4 mile time. This is going to be a Sunday driver, but if a ZR-1 pulls up to me on the highway, I wouldn't want to be embarrassed either.

I've seen a lot of the Fbody people on other forums using 315s on stock 9in wheels. Is there a reason not to do this other than it looking a little buldgy?

So the plan as it stands is BBS RS (http://www.vrwheels.com/bbs-rs-p-3142.html)

Nitto NT555 315/35ZR17

If I can successfully get good traction with 315s on 9in wheels, I'm going to buy those BBS's tonight. How does the offset look? I want as big of a dish as possible, and thats about what I want to spend. Lower offset = more dish, right?

Edited by Nismo_Gizmo

those bbs wheels have a girly offset, i would look into something around what i posted...some real meet, also i had 275s on those rears and could easily fit a 305 on it (but would NOT put a 305 on a 9" wheel) and as far as the bbs's again....not wide enough, i actually will have that wheel/flare combo in a week or two if you would be interested. I am actually taking it off of the car, just let me know. -Jeff