HybridZ

Portable small scale nitrous system

ZR8ED

Thinking out loud here. The specifics are not that important yet..mearly conceptual thoughts here.

Its the time of year where my Z is driven less, and the daily driver gets more use, has made me think of a small scale nitrous wetshot system for my winter/daily driver. Its a huge drop in performance switching to the "winter beater", but I'm not talking anything extreme. 25hp estimate would be plenty for my 108hp 4cyl. Very occasional use to get on the highway/avoid trucks etc. Once in a while, I find a quick boost of power would have been helpful and given me another option in certain highway situations.

It would need to be a small package that would fit under the hood.

A container of Fuel and NOS matched to keep the air/fuel ratio in case your injectors are not large enough to handle the NOS on its own.

A simple delivery system

WOT sensor to prevent accidental activation.

A manual switch in the car

Push the button for a 2-5 sec boost, and only good for a few "shots"

Nothing fancy, NOT idiot proof in order to keep it small and simple.

Easily removable would be a huge benefit for our manditory emissions testing/certifications etc.

I hate to say this out loud, but think of the F&F "hold the button for a sudden boost in power."

Anyone ever thought of such a system? Could you build one yourself reasonably with known parts?

Thoughts?

(besides that I'm crazy..I already know that...have you seen my car?)

• 3 weeks later...

I believe they have the system on the market. The only real problem i for see would be that a 108hp car may not be built to take sudden spikes in hp.

They have the "sneaky pete" system (as i have heard them called, a small bottle stored in glove box or somewhere discrete good for 10hp or so) available from some companies that you could use.

We played around with a zex system with the 50 and 75hp jet setups. Since a 10lb bottle gives roughly 15 or so passes on a fill with a 75 shot you could use a smaller 1-2lb bottle and probably get 2-6 passes out of it with a smaller shot. And if your fuel pump can pump enough fuel you won't have to mess with your injectors if you use a wet shot (by passes injectors and adds the mix right in front of your manifold).

The only problem i can imagine is that such a small bottle could be difficult to find since nitrous is stored at such high pressures, and possibly running the bottle dry. We've never really ran a bottle dry, but i believe the solenoids compensate and if not you would just end up running rich.

When we installed it in a friends car we used black wire covering to cover the lines and unless someone was actively looking for it you wouldn't be able to spot the system. and if you make your own mounts for the solenoid you could remove the parts in the engine bay with just a few screws. The other thing we did was ground the WOT switch to another factory item. In our case we had a switch to "arm" the system, the WOT switch, and that was grounded to the headlight or wipers (i don't remember which exactly) so unless all three switches were armed the spray wouldn't go. So you could leave the system unarmed and drive around and arm it before using it, or you could leave the system armed and right before you used it turn your headlights or wipers on.

If you could find a small enough bottle you could probably get away with the basic kit with the smaller jets. If you knew what you were looking for you could probably get away with: the nitrous and fuel solenoids, lines, fittings (from the bottle to the solenoid from the solenoids to the y fitting), correct jets, bottle, switches, and wiring.

Edited by seattlejester

search on "sneaky pete".

RPM Activated switch tied to a WOT input to turn on NOS and shunt the factory temp sensor so the fuel goes full rich thinking the engine is cold.

Done, thought of, implemented. Fits under the intake manifold on a V8, inside the roll cage on a sprint car....

This one has been around forever.

large05029NOS.jpg

Edited by Tony D