HybridZ

A weird one - Brake lights won't go ON.

Ineptitude01

I've got a good handle on all the problems with brake lights staying on (have several bags of those little rubber mushrooms :P).

But now I've got a problem I've never encountered before. I can't get my brake lights to go on at all.

I checked the fuse, and replaced it on principle. I checked the brake light switch, and shorted the connector to it just to see. Still nothing.

All seven (I have the center taillight panel) of my brake/tail lights work fine as tail lights, but there's just no lighting up for the brakes.

Any ideas? Is there a relay for the brake lights somewhere? The FSM and Haynes manual aren't really geared well towards this kind of diagnosis.

As always, any help is appreciated.

I'm really stumped. I guess I should check what the voltage is at the fuse, and see if it changes when I press the brakes.

There is no need to over complicate this, check the basics first. Make sure the bulbs aren't burnt out, check the wiring/grounds at the lights, check for voltage at the switch, check the fuse....etc

use a voltmeter and do an available voltage test you might have an open circuit somewhere or really high resistance before the bulbs a simple voltage test will help you diagnose your problem ... or it could be a bad relay or turn signal switch all the lights connect together at the turn signal switch.

Edited by gonzalezj1943

Interesting... I've been thinking about it, and because my car was originally an auto, I never hooked up the back up lights. I wonder if they could be shorting on something and causing the problem.

I have spare bulbs, too. It seems unlikely that I would have burnt out only the bright filament on all seven, but I'll check, just in case.

It sounds like I'm going to be spending some quality time with a multimeter this weekend. I'll let you guys know.

Interesting... I've been thinking about it, and because my car was originally an auto, I never hooked up the back up lights. I wonder if they could be shorting on something and causing the problem.

I have spare bulbs, too. It seems unlikely that I would have burnt out only the bright filament on all seven, but I'll check, just in case.

It sounds like I'm going to be spending some quality time with a multimeter this weekend. I'll let you guys know.

if it was shorting out you would have a blown fuse im pretty sure it might just be your bulbs or you have an open somewhere. Start with checking voltage at the bulbs if you have no voltage start at the fuse and work your way to the bulbs till you find the open. Check the condition of your bulb connectors also

My brake light switch went out sometime last year, have you replaced yours yet?

It's pretty cheap and quick to do.

I haven't replaced it. Had to pick my dad up from the airport, so I got home real late last night.

Now that I think about it though, the one in my 79 parts car should work just fine, so I'm gonna go give that a shot. Like you said, very quick, very easy.