HybridZ

Any 240sx owners out there?

ModernS30

• 1 month later...

There's a pretty big drift scene where I'm from. At an event I was at a few weeks ago a good 80% of the guys sliding were in S13's and S14's, and a couple of the best drivers out there were rolling with NA KA's.

Drifting is mostly about the suspension. A powerful high-revving engine helps, but most people are under the impression that you need a good 300+ hp to be a good drifter, which is a popular misconception. A good set of coilovers and either a welded diff/lsd are the best things you can get.

I daily drive a S14a which is stock (besides wheels & bushings). It is called 200sx here in Europe because I do have the SR20DET in it (and LSD). Car is very unsafe on the wet, a small hit on the throttle and the car spins, quite fun when you expect it, much less when not (such as wanting to pass somebody at WOT on highway at 80mph/4th gear & go sideways)

It is more a saloon car than a sport car but to daily drive a turbo car is fun. Nistune, Eibach springs are waiting quietly in my garage... 

Issue as stated previously is Silvias are made to be modified, so I might throw money in it (usual bolt on: TBE, MBC, Filter, fuel pump) Dampers and brakes would be the next mod before any power stuff since stock ones are really not tuned for spirited driving.

Edited by Lazeum

I switched the tires already and it helps. Stock ones are Pirelli's P6000, they should be banned off the roads.

But still with some Toyo's P4 225/45/17 car is "dangerous" on the wet. If front wheels are not straight and turbo spools, you go sideways.

Edited by Lazeum

I switched the tires already and it helps. Stock ones are Pirelli's P6000, they should be banned off the roads.

But still with some Toyo's P4 225/45/17 car is "dangerous" on the wet. If front wheels are not straight and turbo spools, you go sideways.

Seriously? Never had any problems with my last 3 sr swapped s13s here in the states. All mildly modified and even going around 100 mph on the freeway in the rain was not a problem. I do not condone speeding in the rain though if anyone thought about trying. It was probably luck on my side or something but never had a problem punching my cars even in 3rd gear on the highway wet or dry.

Edited by silverarrow27

It sounds like your on the gas hard when you are turning. My stock 240sx with an Open diff will get sideways in the rain. It takes nothing to break the tires loose. Lets try not getting into boost while turning?

I'm driving the car for a year and I get used to it. As you're suggesting, I'm just going easy with the throttle.

Stock suspensions might also be one contributor. 80000mi & still stock shocks might not be good. the only mods made are locking collar to lock the rear cradle & poly bushings for steering rack & tension rods.

With the toyo's, I don't break loose the tires as easy on straight line as it did with Pirelli's. I can go at 80mph quite easily; I did not push 100mi enough to let you know if I can get that fast safely.

By reading again my previous posts, it sounds like my car is uncontrollable which is not the case but you definitely have to pay attention to what you do while turning under the rain. If you don't touch the throttle on corners, the rear does not break loose (it will understeer like every normal stock car).

Edited by Lazeum