HybridZ

Should i paint cans or paint gun in engine bay?

voltron_boi

I'm in the process of wanting to paint my engine bay, but is undecide which route will be better. The color I want in the engine bay is the factory cherry red from the 240z. I talk to some guys that had used single stage paint cans n made it out successful, but will the spray can paint hold to at least 3-5 years with the heat from the engine? On the other hand I have a neighbor that has a freind who is willing to paint the bay for 450. He would provide towing, and buy paint n primer seal and gurateen a good work. Btw, His background is painting motorcycle all his life. So is 450 more then a lot? Or should I just stick with the spray cans n save. So guys please give me some advice. Thanks

$450 sounds like quite a bit, I think out of the can would last long enough. Probably wouldn't look as good as having him do it but for $450 you could afford to redo it many times. I figure a Flatbed tow would cost about $60, so your paying at least $380 for a small portion of the car. There are no guarantees that when you drop in the engine that you wont scratch it or while your working on it, so it will be nice if he would do touch up work for a decent price.

What kind of paint is he using? If it was epoxy then it maybe it's a good deal, I've priced the sealer and it wasn't cheap. Epoxy paint is some strong stuff.

I think 450 is a little too much also. The guy, i dont no what kind of paint he will be using. He just quto me for paint,primer sealer n towing. Today I called a local body paint shop and they will charge me about 150-200 for a single stage paint job with labor, and No primer sealer.

I did my engine bay with cans. I found a paint supplier that mixed up a quart of the original Datsun color code in the original style acrylic enamel. From there they put it into four spray cans for an additional charge. I don't think I even finished off two cans doing it that way, and it is the exact same paint you'd spray from a gun.

As far as durability goes, I had the same process done with a light blue and sprayed it on the engine block itself. It's still there two years and many miles later.

This isn't going to be a show quality car. Just want a decent paint job that will match the outside paint, soon 240z cherry red. I was thinking that if it was too hard I will just go with a gloss black and make it a day. But looking at the overal rattle can paint job that "cygnusx1" did, I probably will just go that route instead to save some bucks. Since this weekend we have columbus day, that will give me an extra day off from work to get my engine bay painted. I'll keep you guys updated on how mine turns out.

Find a local paint shop and have them mix you a custom color to match your car.  You can then have it loaded into rattle cans or buy a CO2 cartridge gun.  Usually also sold at paint shops.  If you know your color code then you can just order paint cans online.  I used http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I am fairly new to painting but have done two vehciles and several small panels. One thing I have learned is that the time spent on prep work is usually the same whichever route you want to take. If you are spending that much time cleaning it up and scuffing it down, then pay the extra money for the automotive paint. They will outlast ANY rattle can job.

$450.00 sounds like a very good price to me. I know for a fact how much time and effort he will be putting into your engine bay(if he does quality work). It is no easy task and the paint he is using is much more expensive and will last you years.

A friend of mine had his mustang painting a few years ago. Just the roof and front bumper was $2500.00. An entire paint job was $7,000.00. This was the best price he could find next to crapt-o-bake.

I am fairly new to painting but have done two vehciles and several small panels. One thing I have learned is that the time spent on prep work is usually the same whichever route you want to take. If you are spending that much time cleaning it up and scuffing it down, then pay the extra money for the automotive paint. They will outlast ANY rattle can job.

Quoted for truth... I did lots of prep on mine and rattlecanned it in 2003... the paint is breaking down now. Real paint and I would have been fine now. Tons and tons of prep, and I wish I had never tried to cut corners and save a few bucks on paint.

• 1 month later...

Looks great.  What method did you use?  I also forgot to mention that aluminum foil is much much easier to use for masking the brake lines and harnesses.  It goes on quick and comes off quick, no tape needed. 

Edited by cygnusx1

I went from this:

0811001939.jpg

To this:

P1040584.jpg

I used the cheapest HVLP gun I could find at Harbor Freight, think the whole setup cost like 20 bucks. Here is my gun setup:

P1040569.jpg

I used single stage urethane paint and spent a lot of time thoroughly prepping and cleaning the metal... I'm no painting master but i think it turned out really well for my first time ever painting anything. I believe if youve got the space and the compressor there's really no reason not to use a gun to paint. Its actually really easy once you get the technique down, and it seemed to go fast. Even though with all the knooks and crannies make it difficult to work with the paint gun I had the engine bay painted in a few hours. Something like a body or a fender, would be so much easier and quicker.

I would reserve paint cans for small parts you end up painting separately. For example, I painted my battery tray well after I was done painting everything else. I did not want to mess around with the overspray and cleanup of the paint gun so I bought some PreVal and rattle can primer and had it done in no time. Since PreVal takes automotive paint I didnt even have to buy more paint. Well see how well it ages...

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

Looks great.  What method did you use?  I also forgot to mention that aluminum foil is much much easier to use for masking the brake lines and harnesses.  It goes on quick and comes off quick, no tape needed. 

I prep the engine bay up, and told my freind to used his buddy paint shop. It came out okay, not the best.

Good topic! I bought the same rig from HF that h4n...used. Good job, BTW. I've never sprayed automotive either. I was told to use base/clear urethane...I'll be sticking with the factory '72 white. How much overspray was there with the HVLP, h4n...?

I would recommend not using rattle cans...just for durability. The rattle can paints are awesome these days. I used to do some high end bicycle restorations having the frames professionally painted. But, I painted a frame one time w/ rattle cans. It turned out incredible...a friend who restores cars thought I had it professionally sprayed. But, rattle can paints will take very little abuse...it scratches very easily. So, I would say go with an automotive paint. It's simply going ro hold up and be more durable.

Edited by CarolinaTZ